Kelsey Plum: Chasing Jackie Styles | The Boneyard

Kelsey Plum: Chasing Jackie Styles

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I believe that Kelsey Plum of the U. of Washington is about 20 points short of 2,000 for her career, midway through her junior season. She is averaging 27.2 ppg this year. Depending on how deep UW goes into the post-seasons, Kelsey could have 50 or more games remaining in her career. At her current average, that would put her at about 3,300 career points. Keep an eye on her.

Reaction Score
She is really really good. I don't watch many other women's games besides ours, but I watched her a couple of times and was very impressed. Not sure why she didn't end up at a more competitive school, cause she could be a real problem on a bigger stage. I also like watching the girl on Minnesota. She is a stud also. Rachel Banham......spelling may be wrong.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
At the very end of the video she gives her coach a pat on the butt.
I believe she tried to get KLS to go to UW................Lou made the right choice ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I blame Eric. Kelsey is from the San Diego area, and decided to stay on the West Coast. ;)

Reaction Score
I never heard of her but from the clip, I like what I see and what I hear about her.

Will have to watch her play on ESPN3 or some other network.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I blame Eric. Kelsey is from the San Diego area, and decided to stay on the West Coast. ;)
I tried everything I could think of - $$$, boy toys, promises of a new car and house, etc etc... but none of it worked LOL... (Just kidding - I don't want any Tennessee fans reporting me to the Feds or NCAA for infractions!!)

Reaction Score
She is really really good. I don't watch many other women's games besides ours, but I watched her a couple of times and was very impressed. Not sure why she didn't end up at a more competitive school, cause she could be a real problem on a bigger stage. I also like watching the girl on Minnesota. She is a stud also. Rachel Banham.spelling may be wrong.
According this link she wanted to go a program that was on the rise and not an established program.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/jan/26/alumni-report-kelsey-plum-washington/

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I never heard of her but from the clip, I like what I see and what I hear about her.

Will have to watch her play on ESPN3 or some other network.
She was a McDonald's and WBCA All-American and a prodigious scorer in prep school, where she led La Jolla Country Day to the California state championship. She set the PAC-12 freshman scoring record, passing all the Stanford greats. As a freshman, she also set a new Washington scoring mark (regardless of class). As a sophomore, she was on the Lieberman, Wooden, Naismith, and Wade watch lists. Currently, her 27.2 ppg ranks #1 in the nation. She is on all the watch lists again.

http://www.gohuskies.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209273263

Reaction Score
Washington looked to be on the rise a few years ago (when she committed), but I guess with McGuff going to OSU, recruiting dropped after Plum's class. Katie Collier, a McD AA a year before suffered an ACL injury her freshman year, plus she had just recovered from leukemia, so she was never the star player many projected her to be. Also, the other top 100 player in Plum's recruiting class Ruiz tore her ACL prior to her freshman year and again this year.

Reaction Score
Prospects Nation projects Plum as the #3 pick for the WNBA draft behind Baylor duo Nina Davis and Alexis Jones.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Prospects Nation projects Plum as the #3 pick for the WNBA draft behind Baylor duo Nina Davis and Alexis Jones.

Just to clarify, for those not 100% up to date on out of town players, all three mentioned above are for the 2017 WNBA draft, not this years.

Reaction Score
Interesting thread.

I think Plum falls short of Stiles in the end, probably finishes with 3,200-3,300, or 2nd-3rd on the all-time list.

It's another Kelsey, of course, that might end up breaking Stiles' record, and that's Kelsey Mitchell. It's early days, but she's at 1,379 twenty games into her sophomore year. (To put that in perspective, Plum had about 1,150 at the same point.) She's on pace for 3,400-3,500, and wouldn't need to raise her scoring average above her current career average of 25 pts/game in her junior or senior seasons to do it.

Reaction Score
Requirements for setting a record:

1. Must be a prolific scorer.
2. Do not schedule UCONN and ND.

She got both.

Reaction Score
Requirements for setting a record, version 2:

1. Be a prolific scorer.
2. Schedule UConn, ND, and South Carolina.
3. Average 21 pts/game anyway.

Kelsey Mitchell did all 3.

(Of course OSU lost all 3 games, but still....)

Reaction Score
Requirements for setting a record, version 2:

1. Be a prolific scorer.
2. Schedule UConn, ND, and South Carolina.
3. Average 21 pts/game anyway.

Kelsey Mitchell did all 3.

(Of course OSU lost all 3 games, but still....)

Sorry, 24 pts/game.

Reaction Score
Saw Kelsey Plum play at Cal yesterday. I didn't know about her but it was very quickly apparent that she is the real deal.

Reaction Score
Plum is quite good, both Cal and Stanford wanted her badly but for various reasons ended up at UW. She's very strong, though average height (5'8") and athleticism. But she gets it done.

Not not a carbon copy, I can see some Lindsay Whalen in Plum. Whalen may be more athletic, more magical off the bounce, more of a proper PG, better passer. Plum more of a scoring PG/2G, and more of a 3-pt threat (though oddly, Whalen was an adequate 3-point shooter for much of her career, but she's basically stopped shooting them the past couple years).

A drawback/common criticism of Plum though: some *think* she's the queen of getting away with traveling. But maybe refs will see her differently at the next level, or maybe not.

Notably, ~8 ppg this year come at the free-throw line this season, which is an uptick from years prior. Though I think that's just savvy and skill in getting to the line often, and should carry over to the next level.

Looks like she'll a legit WNBA career, plenty long and plenty of production, although on the Pan Ams USA Team last summer, only 12 mpg and 3 ppg.

Reaction Score
Interesting thread.

I think Plum falls short of Stiles in the end, probably finishes with 3,200-3,300, or 2nd-3rd on the all-time list.

It's another Kelsey, of course, that might end up breaking Stiles' record, and that's Kelsey Mitchell. It's early days, but she's at 1,379 twenty games into her sophomore year. (To put that in perspective, Plum had about 1,150 at the same point.) She's on pace for 3,400-3,500, and wouldn't need to raise her scoring average above her current career average of 25 pts/game in her junior or senior seasons to do it.
I'll be interested to see Mitchell's average the next 2 years. OSU adds a lot more talent (Mavunga, Calhoun, Harper, McCoy). She will probably get better/more open looks, but at the same time, I'm not sure she'll shoot as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom