Kelly Schumacher returning to basketball | The Boneyard

Kelly Schumacher returning to basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I wonder what this means for her volleyball career. I thought she was taking it very seriously, with a hope for an Olympic bid. I wonder if this is part of the training and paying the bills, or if she has re-thought her volleyball goals.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I wonder what this means for her volleyball career. I thought she was taking it very seriously, with a hope for an Olympic bid. I wonder if this is part of the training and paying the bills, or if she has re-thought her volleyball goals.
Yea, I was thinking that Olympic dream might be over.

Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken, that Madrid team she signed with is one of the very good-paying Euro franchises.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken, that Madrid team she signed with is one of the very good-paying Euro franchises.

True, the only catch being she has to play wearing her volleyball uniform.

Reaction Score

Works for me!
beach_volleyball.jpg

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I believe that was the main point of the Ackerman paper about increasing interest in the WCBB. Uniforms along the lines of the beach volleyball attire could pull in a nice percentage of the 11-30 year-old-male viewers, many of whom are cool with prominently displayed tattoos, and if the baskets are at 9-feet and the women are crushing the dunkers, all the better.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I believe that was the main point of the Ackerman paper about increasing interest in the WCBB. Uniforms along the lines of the beach volleyball attire could pull in a nice percentage of the 11-30 year-old-male viewers, many of whom are cool with prominently displayed tattoos, and if the baskets are at 9-feet and the women are crushing the dunkers, all the better.

My little comment was tongue-in-cheek based on my recent review of Schuey's website. Ackerman is off base with that suggestion. That uniform thing was already tried in the (very) short-lived Liberty Basketball Association. I remember seeing it on television. It was a bit of a cringe. Not all players should be expected to have a physique like Kelly or Jennie Finch.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
My little comment was tongue-in-cheek based on my recent review of Schuey's website. Ackerman is off base with that suggestion. That uniform thing was already tried in the (very) short-lived Liberty Basketball Association. I remember seeing it on television. It was a bit of a cringe. Not all players should be expected to have a physique like Kelly or Jennie Finch.
Showing some cheeky cheeks is not necessarily the worst idea. Whether it's Serena's rippling biceps, or Maria's shrieks, or Kerri and Misty's longitudinal supremacy, having some pithy audio\visual images to support your talents is a good idea. I'm still thinking that for WCBB, they gotta go with either the beach get-up or do a throw-back to the UConn women's 1902 BB unis.

Reaction Score

Never change the height of the basket. WCBB should enhance it's own identity, without trying to duplicate the men's game. Nurture finesse, not brute force.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I really doubt that citing WCBB as "the finesse sport" would help its image at all, even if it was remotely possible. Stef, could you just sort of finesse that guard who's driving for a lay-up to make her miss? Basketball is always going to be a mixture of agility and brawn, but women's players average around a half foot shorter than the guys, so making the baskets proportionately equal by having the WCBB at say 9'6'' would certainly help the offense (which everyone in WCBB is suddenly screaming for) and give the average basketball viewer a familiar play to latch on to.

I know there are a lot of WCBB fans who despise the dunk and don't want to see women doing them, but personally I would love to see a guard on a breakaway throw one down and get the crowds fired up. And before anyone goes all silly and says that women need to play the same sport by the same rules as the guys, just grok on tennis's 2-sets vs. 3 sets, gymnastics, track's weight events, XC distances, lacrosse, hockey, a whole bunch of men-specific and women-specific sports, and of course the size of the ball in BB. Always a difficult question, because the banning of contact in women's hockey and lacrosse have limited their appeal greatly, and turning WCBB in the "finesse" direction would just do the same and make it seem like a lesser version of BB. So you go for that familiar brawn\finesse package, but make the dimensions more conducive to women being able do the same things as the guys. And don't worry, the women's game will still not become the guy's game, just maybe a little better than what they have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom