Kelly Schumacher-Raimon Heads to Coaching | The Boneyard

Kelly Schumacher-Raimon Heads to Coaching

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
And she's just the latest in a long line of former Huskies in the coaching world. That's not an accident.

"There's definitely a love for the game," she said. "Coming out of UConn, they tend to breed winners and smart basketball players. And so, we're taught to play the game. The game is same everywhere. At this point for me, it's just kind of relating that and things that I've learned over the years."

Schumacher-Raimon said she has learned from many coaches, whether it's Paul Westhead and Bill Laimbeer in the WNBA or some of the coaches she played for overseas.

"But obviously Geno [Auriemma] has had a huge impact on just my theories as far as coaching goes and things that I really appreciated that he did for our team and over the years just watching them play," Schumacher-Raimon said. "So I would say he has a great influence on me."

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...uconn-player-kelly-schuma-20170513-story.html

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
This was announced in January. Kelly was with the Sky at the preseason game at the Mohegan. She was out with the team directing drills during warm-ups and worked the bench during the game. She spoke to a few fans that approached her. Obviously she'll never be forgotten since her 2000 "block party" versus Tennessee.

Reaction Score
This was announced in January. Kelly was with the Sky at the preseason game at the Mohegan. She was out with the team directing drills during warm-ups and worked the bench during the game. She spoke to a few fans that approached her. Obviously she'll never be forgotten since her 2000 "block party" versus Tennessee.
Oh yeah! That was an amazingly game- I watched it, screaming at every block, acting totally crazy, but it was crazy in a most excellent way!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I like the Lebron James connection... its cool to follow the money!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Interesting speech by Kelly a while back with Geno anecdotes.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I don't have time now to listen to the speech, so this comment is offered without awareness of what she said there.

It's actually a bit surprising that she is pointing to Geno as a role model (and I wonder if it isn't just an act of political correctness to do so). From what I got from several books written in the period shortly after her graduation, her relationship with Geno was rocky throughout her time at UConn. She did not seem to appreciate his sarcastic style with constant barbs. I was living in Cincinnati and following the Indiana Fever in those years. The Fever drafted Kelly late in the first round and she played for them for a few years. When she was interviewed at that time, she gave generous compliments to Jamelle Eliot and CD, but was conspicuously silent about Geno. It reached the point where she did not stay in touch or return to UConn for years following her graduation.

I guess the intervening years (and maybe the experience of playing for Laimbeer) has changed her perspective. I hope so.

Reaction Score
I was a HUGE Kelly Schumaker fan. I wish her all the success in the world.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I don't have time now to listen to the speech, so this comment is offered without awareness of what she said there.

It's actually a bit surprising that she is pointing to Geno as a role model (and I wonder if it isn't just an act of political correctness to do so). From what I got from several books written in the period shortly after her graduation, her relationship with Geno was rocky throughout her time at UConn. She did not seem to appreciate his sarcastic style with constant barbs. I was living in Cincinnati and following the Indiana Fever in those years. The Fever drafted Kelly late in the first round and she played for them for a few years. When she was interviewed at that time, she gave generous compliments to Jamelle Eliot and CD, but was conspicuously silent about Geno. It reached the point where she did not stay in touch or return to UConn for years following her graduation.

I guess the intervening years (and maybe the experience of playing for Laimbeer) has changed her perspective. I hope so.
Im sure Kelly isnt the only one... maybe Charde as well.

its horrible for fan to think Geno's Way is always right... not everyone can take it. As people mature it doesnt mean that she "now gets it" etc. in the nearly 20 she may have gotten it from someone else. Not everyone that walks thru the doors of Gampel become great people just because they knew Geno. I never met the man and I think I'm great :rolleyes:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

She's not nominating him for Nice Guy of the Year, but she spends a good deal of time talking about what Geno taught her and how he may have taught her the most important lesson by ignoring her as she sat on the bench in a pivotal game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom