Kelly Oubre wants to take official visits to UConn, Kansas, UCLA and Georgetown | The Boneyard

Kelly Oubre wants to take official visits to UConn, Kansas, UCLA and Georgetown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kansas, Louisville, Georgetown, UCLA, Florida, Connecticut, LSU, Washington and all the Texas schools are making a strong effort for Oubre. The defending champion Cardinals are coming at him the hardest.
“Coach [Rick] Pitino is a great guy,” Oubre said. “He's a great coach, he told me he likes to see his players succeed. I like his offense. He's been there awhile, and he doesn't plan on leaving.”
The 6-foot-6 small forward from Bush, Texas, has taken unofficial visits to UCLA, Texas and LSU, but he wants to take official trips to Kansas, UCLA, Georgetown and Connecticut.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...ebook-kelly-oubre-weighing-high-level-suitors

Reaction Score
great news, I was worried that UConn was fading with him.

Reaction Score
“Longevity of the coach, coaching staff, style of play,” Oubre said when asked what he's looking for in a school. “The offense they run. Who's going to push me to be the best I can be.” -Oubre

Ollie can fulfill all those needs

Reaction Score
Great company to be in. Is he bulky enough to play the DD role at the 4? Or would he be part of the logjam at the 2/3?

Reaction Score
Great company to be in. Is he bulky enough to play the DD role at the 4? Or would he be part of the logjam at the 2/3?

It just doesn't seem like a huge logjam to me, assuming Purvis gets 25 mins at PG. Get another frosh PG and give him 10, maybe Samuel can give 5. You still have 2 positions and 80 minutes for Calhoun, Hamilton, and Player X. 27/27/26 (minus say 3-5 for Purvis).

Reaction Score
It just doesn't seem like a huge logjam to me, assuming Purvis gets 25 mins at PG. Get another frosh PG and give him 10, maybe Samuel can give 5. You still have 2 positions and 80 minutes for Calhoun, Hamilton, and Player X. 27/27/26 (minus say 3-5 for Purvis).

I'm skeptical of Purvis as the primary ballhandler. I think he gets maybe 5-10 minutes a game at the point, and more like 20-25 minutes a game at the 2. Calhoun is going to get 30 minutes a game, and Hamilton is going to get probably 25 minutes a game. I'm not sure where the extra minutes at the 3 come from.

We're in much bigger need of a PF -- ideally 6'8 with enough muscle to be a credible rebounder and enough skill to play a little on the perimeter -- than another SG/SF type.

Reaction Score
We're in much bigger need of a PF -- ideally 6'8 with enough muscle to be a credible rebounder and enough skill to play a little on the perimeter -- than another SG/SF type.

So... Leron Black?

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
So... Leron Black?

I'm on the Abu bandwagon. Black would come next on my personal wishlist for PF unless we are going to become a team made up of only wing players. We would start Rodney, Omar, Daniel, Kelly Oubre, and LJ Peak.

Reaction Score
I'm skeptical of Purvis as the primary ballhandler. I think he gets maybe 5-10 minutes a game at the point, and more like 20-25 minutes a game at the 2. Calhoun is going to get 30 minutes a game, and Hamilton is going to get probably 25 minutes a game. I'm not sure where the extra minutes at the 3 come from.

Don't forget about Samuel. By his soph year he could be getting at least 15-20 min at PG. He has good ball handling ability and great passing skills. Would probably play very well as PG alongside the talent we are recruiting, plus I think he is under rated. I agree another true PG would be ideal, but if it were not too happen and we got others guys like Oubre instead, I wouldn't freak out.

Reaction Score
If Samuel can be a playmaker as a point guard in the mold of Ricky Moore or Taliek Brown, that will be good enough for him to earn significant minutes at the point.

I think most people don't see him as much more than the cliched "steady" backup, like Austrie or Beverly. If that sort of player is starting or getting the most minutes on the team at PG, Ollie will have badly whiffed in his recruiting.

caw

Reaction Score
Honestly, UConn/Ollie seem to be at least in the top 10 with a ton of good players. It's hard to tell who they really want. Abu, Black, Oubre, PC, LJ Peak, Carrington, McLaughlin, etc. all have recently said UConn is up there. I've heard Looney also has UConn in his top 10, though everyone expects him to go elsewhere.

For as open as UConn is about making offers and how many kids are talking about UConn, it's going to be hard to guess the next commit.

I don't think anyone really thought Hamilton would be the first recruit to commit, in fact, I think most thought UConn was out from when his brother signed with UTEP until he came on his official visit. Even after his official, there wasn't really anyone reporting that he might commit.

Reaction Score
I think most people don't see him as much more than the cliched "steady" backup, like Austrie or Beverly. If that sort of player is starting or getting the most minutes on the team at PG, Ollie will have badly whiffed in his recruiting.

The alternative, of course, is that "most people" - ie the keen talent scouts on the Boneyard - are wrong about the kid's ceiling and Ollie is right. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom