Kelly Graves comments post game | The Boneyard

Kelly Graves comments post game

Reaction Score
"I've always felt that players improve the most between their freshman and sophomore years, and they certainly did that." (Ionescue/Heberd)

"And I'm glad we finished with Connecticut, because they're the standard by which every team's judged. So I thought it was a perfect storm last year, and it just helped propel us."

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Good job Kelly, now if you want to make the final four, they better do some more growing as your team has a tendency to disappear after building big leads....

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good job Kelly, now if you want to make the final four, they better do some more growing as your team has a tendency to disappear after building big leads....
Good point but in fairness... They start 1 SR, 1 JR, 2 SO's and 1 FR (Sabally). Their 3 leading scorers are the 2 sophomores (Hebard and Ionescu) and the freshman (Sabally). Next year they only lose Bando, and they add ND transfer Erin Boley. They are going to be really good next year. I think they have a great shot at the final 4 along with UCONN, Baylor and Texas... Can't forget about ND and L'ville and probably a few others as well, but their trajectory is certainly rising!!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"And I told them that. Every zoo is a petting zoo. And what that means is, is that if we show great composure [Monday] and we have great confidence … we'll see if we can pet the Husky, but I don't know if we will."

Uh, Dan ...

Reaction Score
The two (2) PAC 12 teams that beat Oregon this year were Oregon State & Stanford. Both are teams that actually run offensive sets, and, use the shot clock. Lastly, both OSU & Stanford are focused (and solid) defensively in the half-court.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
It was fun watching Oregon UCLA last night. I am impressed with Oregon, great backcourt, plus Hebard of course, and Sabally a good addition.

Their offense with Cazorla out was Ionescu dribbling around, picks being set for her, and she was either pulling up or taking it to the hoop. She made a lot of plays, got some favorable calls, and won the game for Oregon, and I have really liked her since I saw her play in Bridgeport last year. Geno would not have allowed her and Oregon to do that, though. In addition to being defended by Kia, I think he would have run the half court jump doubleteam at her and forced the ball out of her hands, putting the game on someone else from Oregon.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
It was fun watching Oregon UCLA last night. I am impressed with Oregon, great backcourt, plus Hebard of course, and Sabally a good addition.

Their offense with Cazorla out was Ionescu dribbling around, picks being set for her, and she was either pulling up or taking it to the hoop. She made a lot of plays, got some favorable calls, and won the game for Oregon, and I have really liked her since I saw her play in Bridgeport last year. Geno would not have allowed her and Oregon to do that, though. In addition to being defended by Kia, I think he would have run the half court jump doubleteam at her and forced the ball out of her hands, putting the game on someone else from Oregon.

First, I don't think that Graves's comments fall into the category "don't poke the bear"; he's simply stating what everyone here knows--namely, that UCONN is the measuring stick for all other WBB teams in Division 1, and that a very young Oregon team benefitted from seeing what that means first hand in last year's tournament.

Second, the Oregon offense minus Cazorla, especially in overtime, was situation specific and not the norm for the team this year. Had Canada had fewer than 4 fouls, I don't think Graves would have tried to have Hebard set endless screens until Sabrina got an open look. And I don't think he'd ever contemplate doing so against UCONN.

Reaction Score

You are correct. Without Cazorla in the line up, Oregon would not fare well against a disciplined & stout defensive team. Cazorla makes great decisions and at the correct moment. Cazorla is well known by PAC12 teams, and highly respected. Sabrina is amazing, but you are correct the pick and roll wouldn't work for more than 1 time vs UCONN defense. They would shut that down quickly. Sabrina is far more effective when Cazorla and she are both on the court together.

Reaction Score
In the OT Canada was not covering Sabrina . UCLA played Dean on Sabrina and Canada on Bando to protect Canada. That was a huge mismatch in Oregon’s favor but you can’t fault the coach wanting to protect Canada.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Good point but in fairness... They start 1 SR, 1 JR, 2 SO's and 1 FR (Sabally). Their 3 leading scorers are the 2 sophomores (Hebard and Ionescu) and the freshman (Sabally). Next year they only lose Bando, and they add ND transfer Erin Boley. They are going to be really good next year. I think they have a great shot at the final 4 along with UCONN, Baylor and Texas... Can't forget about ND and L'ville and probably a few others as well, but their trajectory is certainly rising!!
I think the Ducks move from the second five to the top five in the nation next year.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
They will also have Sabally's sister coming in. She is supposed to be as good as Santu.(?)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
They will also have Sabally's sister coming in. She is supposed to be as good as Santu.(?)
Oh wow no kidding? Well good for them. If she has half the impact of her older sister next year, they will be even better...

Reaction Score
"I've always felt that players improve the most between their freshman and sophomore years, and they certainly did that." (Ionescue/Heberd)

Where have I heard that before?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Are we setting up any home / home series games with Oregon in the future? Both coaches clearly have respect for the other's program but the travel could be tough?

Reaction Score
Are we setting up any home / home series games with Oregon in the future? Both coaches clearly have respect for the other's program but the travel could be tough?

Not until the senior year of a recruit from Washington.

Reaction Score
How about UCONN comes to the State of Oregon and plays both Oregon and Oregon State! How about UCONN joining the PAC12 :)

Reaction Score
Great ideas! I live in California.
I like that idea too. I live in Cal as well. It would be a lot more fun for UConn. You guys do a great job making the best of awful competition.

Reaction Score
In the OT Canada was not covering Sabrina . UCLA played Dean on Sabrina and Canada on Bando to protect Canada. That was a huge mismatch in Oregon’s favor but you can’t fault the coach wanting to protect Canada.
Didn't Canada have four fouls ?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom