Kelly Farris Class! | The Boneyard

Kelly Farris Class!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I have been following WCBB for so long things run together and my memory has a filter ( my mouth unfortunately does not), but what I was wondering who else in that class with Kelly was UCONN recruiting.

I honestly cant think of anyone??

Does anyone remember??

Reaction Score
Taber Spani, Krista Gross, Kerry Shields. There are probably more and I am sure others will chime in.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
we never recruited Griner. she verbaled to Baylor as a sophomore i believe... maybe even sooner. KM really snatched her up early in the process. i'm not sure if she was recruited by anyone else besides Baylor.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Taylor Hill of Ohio State and Tierra Ruffin-Pratt were both targets at one point.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Spani was a fairly high priority. I think we were 3rd on her list. K State was second.

Bone was a priority as well. Her mother did not like all the media involvement.

Gross decided late. I think Tayler Hill did too.

Shields was at First Night but may not have gotten an offer.

Diggins had UConn and Stanford in her final 3.

I think any interest in Ruffin-Pratt ended fairly early, probably from Tierra who seemed to be ACC-focused from birth.

Chelsey Lee was the prior year--with Tiffany, Caroline, Heather, and Elena.

Certainly a class of Bone, Diggins, and Faris would have been outstanding. Any 3 of those would have been nice.

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
Who is Kerry Shields? I don't remember her at all!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
It's all coming back to me know!

Thanks guys!

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

I think any interest in Ruffin-Pratt ended fairly early, probably from Tierra who seemed to be ACC-focused from birth.

Gross decided early. She got in to Stanford, but spurned the Cardinal for UNC.

Diggins did not really have a top three from what I remember. It was a top two - Notre Dame and Stanford. The others were collectively eliminated.

Ruffin-Pratt was always going to the ACC. Only question was whether it would be Duke, Maryland, or UNC, though a few other ACC schools heavily recruited her.

Reaction Score
UConn started recruiting Gross late in the process. She attended UConn's First Night in the middle of October of her senior year and didn't commit to UNC until the very end of October. That seems to qualify as deciding late even if she was already leaning strongly to UNC.
Gross decided early. She got in to Stanford, but spurned the Cardinal for UNC.

Reaction Score
Spani was a fairly high priority. I think we were 3rd on her list. K State was second.

Bone was a priority as well. Her mother did not like all the media involvement.

Shields was at First Night but may not have gotten an offer.

Chelsey Lee was the prior year--with Tiffany, Caroline, Heather, and Elena.

Certainly a class of Bone, Diggins, and Faris would have been outstanding. Any 3 of those would have been nice.

UConn was never in Diggins top three. Her stated top three were ND, Penn State, and Stanford. Washington had just left ND for the Penn St. job. Her final list before being trimmed to those three was: Illinois, Rutgers, Texas, Oklahoma, Maryland.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
UConn started recruiting Gross late in the process. She attended UConn's First Night in the middle of October of her senior year and didn't commit to UNC until the very end of October. That seems to qualify as deciding late even if she was already leaning strongly to UNC.

Ah, hence the difference.

The initial post was about Gross and Tayler Hill deciding late. Hill decided in April...the "late signing period." Gross decided in the "early singing period."

My understanding was that the initial poster was referencing the "late signing period" by putting Gross and Hill together.

Reaction Score

The initial post was about Gross and Tayler Hill deciding late. Hill decided in April...the "late signing period." Gross decided in the "early singing period."

My understanding was that the initial poster was referencing the "late signing period" by putting Gross and Hill together.

You might be right. I assumed the poster grouped Hill and Gross together because they were two guards that UConn didn't show recruiting interest until later after it became clear they weren't getting Diggins. And the "early signing period" tends to be considered late in UConn recruiting where verbals tend to come much sooner, but I can see how you connected the dots. UConn also didn't do much more than briefly flirt with Hill so I also didn't place much importance on her inclusion by the original poster either.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

No. Gross was fairly late, meaning senior year. Hill was very late. I could be confusing (1) when they dropped UConn from their list and (2) when they chose their school.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
UConn was never in Diggins top three. Her stated top three were ND, Penn State, and Stanford. Washington had just left ND for the Penn St. job. Her final list before being trimmed to those three was: Illinois, Rutgers, Texas, Oklahoma, Maryland.
I apparently misremembered. Maybe it was Chiney who had Stanford, ND, and Uconn as her top 3.

HoopGurlz had PSU as the #3 for Skylar. UConn was interested in her through at least the summer of 2008, though it was not clear how mutual it was.

The general point to the initial question was that UConn was recruiting lots of good players, including at least:
Faris
Spani
Bone
Diggins
Hill
Gross

Over time, one by one, all other than Kelly dropped UConn.

UConn was also waiting that summer to see if EDD would return.

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
I apparently misremembered. Maybe it was Chiney who had Stanford, ND, and Uconn as her top 3.

HoopGurlz had PSU as the #3 for Skylar. UConn was interested in her through at least the summer of 2008, though it was not clear how mutual it was.

The general point to the initial question was that UConn was recruiting lots of good players, including at least:
Faris
Spani
Bone
Diggins
Hill
Gross

Over time, one by one, all other than Kelly dropped UConn.

UConn was also waiting that summer to see if EDD would return.

Looking at that group is interesting. None of them really stick out to me. Bone was probably the biggest target I'm guessing. Didn't realize we were ever recruiting Spani.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Oh, yeah, I remember being really disappointed about Spani. Do you think it's been hard on KF to be the lone member of her class? I haven't heard it discussed very much.

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
Oh, yeah, I remember being really disappointed about Spani. Do you think it's been hard on KF to be the lone member of her class? I haven't heard it discussed very much.

Well, she isnt really alone anymore, she has Buck and Doty!!!!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Looking at that group is interesting. None of them really stick out to me. Bone was probably the biggest target I'm guessing. Didn't realize we were ever recruiting Spani.
Ok, I may be misremembering again but .... Geno liked Spani. Like Kelly, she went to a Christian school and was a good all-around player without guady offensive stats. I think we finished 3rd. Her father, a pro footballer, is in the Kansas State HOF. KState finished 2nd.

Bone was either 1 or 2 in her class, with Griner, who committed very early. Recall that we had Tina at the time.

The big name in the group was not Bone or Diggins. It was EDD. We looked to be totally loaded with Tiff's class, including Elena, plus Maya and Tina. Some may have shied away. Elena did not come back to UConn in August 2008. Over the course of the summer, some players might have dropped UConn.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Ok, I may be misremembering again but .... Geno liked Spani. Like Kelly, she went to a Christian school and was a good all-around player without guady offensive stats. I think we finished 3rd. Her father, a pro footballer, is in the Kansas State HOF. KState finished 2nd.

Spani was home-schooled. She was raised in a very Christian home, however, so I guess you could say she went to a Christian school. You're correct, she dropped UConn and then decided between Tenn and K State.

Reaction Score
I think you are misremembering a bit.

Spani was home schooled and played on a team of home schooled players. Spani had some all-around skills otherwise UConn wouldn't have recruited her, but she was very much a big time scorer putting up huge scoring numbers and winning a 1 on 1 offense contest at a Nike Skills Academy. The Christian school Kelly attended was more akin to a Protestant version of the numerous Catholic high schools with big time athletic programs including Kelly's national championship contending high school team. Two very different environments, and one was Wilt Chamberlain and the other Bill Russell.

Bone and Diggins were the big names in their class with Griner already committed to Baylor very early. EDD was in the previous class with Tiffany, Caroline, and Heather although EDD did leave UConn that summer UConn was recruiting Kelly's high school class. If you knew EDD was in the previous class and just meant EDD making up her mind was the biggest deal that over shadowed everything else that is my misunderstanding.

Bone was either 1 or 2 in her class, with Griner, who committed very early. Recall that we had Tina at the time.

The big name in the group was not Bone or Diggins. It was EDD. We looked to be totally loaded with Tiff's class, including Elena, plus Maya and Tina. Some may have shied away. Elena did not come back to UConn in August 2008. Over the course of the summer, some players might have dropped UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom