Kelly Faris!!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kelly Faris!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Kelly thus far is doing what UConn needs her to do in order to win a national championship, namely:

• Defend a team's best guard or wing (something Breanna's presence allows her to do).
  • Hit open shots when they're available. If she's on the court with, say, Bria, KML, Breanna, and Stef, opposing defenses will need to concede something. Kelly will have open shots all year. She needs to take and hit them, especially against a team like Baylor, where the interior offense will be less for UConn than usual.
If she can do this against elite competition, UConn can and will beat anyone.

Reaction Score
Although they are different players I seem to remember a lot of people saying that Kalena Greene wouldn't be much of a pro. Kalena also played in the shadows and was never a featured player for UConn, averaging about 10 points a game her last 2 years at UConn. Kelly is a fantastic defensive player and is so much physically stronger than Hayes and IMO has a higher BB IQ. The UConn coaches have said she's the best athlete on the team. She's going to suprise people in the W, much as Greene did.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Kelly thus far is doing what UConn needs her to do in order to win a national championship, namely:

• Defend a team's best guard or wing (something Breanna's presence allows her to do).
  • Hit open shots when they're available. If she's on the court with, say, Bria, KML, Breanna, and Stef, opposing defenses will need to concede something. Kelly will have open shots all year. She needs to take and hit them, especially against a team like Baylor, where the interior offense will be less for UConn than usual.
If she can do this against elite competition, UConn can and will beat anyone.

Another reason why you are a Wise Guy, as opposed to a "wise guy." Seriously, excellent point.

Reaction Score
OK, everybody....calm down, please. The purpose of my original post was just to laud Kelly for her extraordinary contributions to UConn basketball. My suggestion that this might be her final year of competitive basketball was in no way meant to suggest that she wouldn't be drafted, or is somehow less than qualified...quite to the contrary. I haven't heard her articulate any plans, but I just have the sense that she's an individual who might like to explore other endeavors, and might pass on pro ball altogether. She's clearly highly self-disciplined, and can be a success at anything she tries. Might wanna opt for professional school in some area unrelated to athletics...

Reaction Score
Here is the pre-season Naismith watch list. There are a lot of seniors... including Faris. There is a lot of talent there but they won't all get drafted into the WNBA. There are overseas leagues where some of them will go. I hope that Kelly keeps playing ball but if not I would love to see her working as an assistant coach for UCONN.
http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...aismith-watch-list-highlighted-griner-delle-d

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Although they are different players I seem to remember a lot of people saying that Kalena Greene wouldn't be much of a pro. Kalena also played in the shadows and was never a featured player for UConn, averaging about 10 points a game her last 2 years at UConn. Kelly is a fantastic defensive player and is so much physically stronger than Hayes and IMO has a higher BB IQ. The UConn coaches have said she's the best athlete on the team. She's going to suprise people in the W, much as Greene did.
Well we weren't really talking about how Faris would do in the WNBA, but rather if she would be selected in the 1st round. And Greene was selected in the 2nd round, so that kinda reinforces my opinion.

Reaction Score
Well we weren't really talking about how Faris would do in the WNBA, but rather if she would be selected in the 1st round. And Greene was selected in the 2nd round, so that kinda reinforces my opinion.

Greene was the first pick in the second round. One position higher and she would have been a 1st rounder.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Greene was the first pick in the second round. One position higher and she would have been a 1st rounder.
True, but she wasn't. And if she was 12 positions higher she'd have been the number 1 pick in the draft. But she wasn't. If she was picked 12 positions lower she'd have been a 3rd rounder, but she wasn't. She was a second round pick.

And she has done pretty well for herself in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
Your screenname: are you offering to send By'ers kimchee gratis?

If so, sign me up!!!

If you are ever in Atlanta I can tell you where to get the best Korean-Mexican fusion kimchee tacos...super!

Reaction Score
True, but she wasn't. And if she was 12 positions higher she'd have been the number 1 pick in the draft. But she wasn't. If she was picked 12 positions lower she'd have been a 3rd rounder, but she wasn't. She was a second round pick.

And she has done pretty well for herself in the WNBA.

I guess that the success of UConn players in the W, including Kalana's success has even further enhanced the appeal of drafting them. Both Greene & Hayes came into the W ready to play, unlike many others from other schools who need a year or 2 on the bench. I haven't checked but I suspect Hayes has put up better numbers than a couple of players taken above her. All this increases the appeal of players who have gone through the UConn program. The budget problems in the W make a "ready to contribute" player more valuable than anothe higher profile player who needs to sit on the bench for a year or two. Faris will benefit from this. Any increase in appeal puts her in the 1st round. Not a certainty, but IMO more likely than not.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I guess that the success of UConn players in the W, including Kalana's success has even further enhanced the appeal of drafting them. Both Greene & Hayes came into the W ready to play, unlike many others from other schools who need a year or 2 on the bench. I haven't checked but I suspect Hayes has put up better numbers than a couple of players taken above her. All this increases the appeal of players who have gone through the UConn program. The budget problems in the W make a "ready to contribute" player more valuable than anothe higher profile player who needs to sit on the bench for a year or two. Faris will benefit from this. Any increase in appeal puts her in the 1st round. Not a certainty, but IMO more likely than not.
That would be nice. Whether she goes 1st, 2nd or 3rd round won't really affect her ability to make a team though. I guess I don't have as much faith in WNBA GM's as some on here do.
However, the UCONN program might increase the appeal of drafting a player, but I don't know if it would move them up a round. More likely it would make a "non-star" UCONN player someone you would take a chance on later in the draft.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Here's another reason to think that Faris will go in the 1st round. How many second round picks make an all-rookie starting 5?

http://www.wnba.com/dream/news/tiffany_hayes_named__wnba_al_2012_10_08.html
Riquna Williams did and she was drafted below Hayes. Daneille Adams did the year before. Kalana Greene did the year before that. Anisoke did two years before that. Camile Little and Sidney Spencer and and Marta Fernandez who wasn't even drafted did the year before that. Far enough back?

Which doesn't have anything to do with whether Faris will go in the 1st round, by the way.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the Uconn connection certainly helps a player's appeal to W GMs. I think a lot of people were surprised Tiff was drafted so late and she certainly proved them right witth her play. Personally I expect Kelly to go somewhere between 8 and 15 in the draft. If she keeps up her torrid shooting percentage she will go at the early end of that range.

Reaction Score
Kelly Faris was the best player on the court tonight. (MD game) A Thomas may be taller and may have more flash but Kelly was a more complete player all night.

Reaction Score
I find this thread a little odd. We know if a freshman high school player anywhere in the country is any good and some people here seem to think that the WNBA has no type of scouting program. In Kelly's case it is simple, just watch some game video and determine if you need an unselfesh player that plays from start to finish. Ask her former teammates in the WNBA about her. Maybe even more importantly ask the opposing players about her. Ask the college coaches about her. Then see if your team can use a player that doesn't need her ego stroked if she doesn't get enough shots. Is all heart, guts and fearless. Geno states "she is the best athlete on the team." She is knowledgable about all aspects of the game and tough as nails. I will be a fan of any team that picks her. Even if it is some Italian spaghetti ball league. Go superwoman Kelly!

Reaction Score
Kelly became my favorite player the first time I saw her play in the state championship game her junior year. In my opinion she was the player that most impacted the scoreboard for UConn last season, and by that definition the best player on the team.

Kelly will get drafted. It may not be until the second round as teams make riskier picks chasing higher potential players, but she'll get drafted. At worst she belongs on a team because she can play and defend positions 1-3, and with 11 player rosters that versatility has value. Ideally one of the teams with enough volume scorers picks her like Minnesota, Phoenix, or LA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom