Kelly Faris: Rising Sun | The Boneyard

Kelly Faris: Rising Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The Connecticut Sun won this afternoon, lifting their record to 3-10. Two of their three victories have been against Moriah Jefferson's San Antonio Stars team -- probably the only team in the league against whom they have a pretty clear talent advantage.

The Sun led most of the way, although San Antoniio had a 12-point lead in the third quarter. The final score was 93-90.

With a record like that, the main interest in watching Sun games is to follow ex-Huskies both on the Sun and on other teams. In this game, Moriah played over 30 minutes and had a typical Moriah-like game, not very different from what she did at UConn except that she had no Stewie to pass to, and Morgan was on the other team.

Morgan started out strongly, scoring 7 points in the first quarter, including a 3-pointer and 2 slithery drives to the basket. She looked good in previous games also. She is having trouble defending WNBA forwards, but recently they are having trouble defending her also. Whoever said she isn't athletic enough to play in the W is being proven wrong every game lately. But unfortunately, today Morgan played poorly at the beginning of the third quarter and was benched for the rest of the game. She and Camille Little had a Keystone Kops episode on a couple of plays that caused them both to come to the bench for the rest of the game.

But the big story, not only today but in other recent games, is the emergence of Kelly Faris as a player whom the coach and the team rely on greatly. Today, she played 24 minutes, had 10 points on 5-7 shooting (2-4 from 3-point range), 3 rebounds, and 1 steal. She also had 5 fouls, after fouling out of the game against New York earlier in the week. That's what happens when energetic defense encounters superior offensive athleticism in her opponents. Her plus/minus was +10, the highest on the team. She came in early in the second half (replacing Morgan) and played the remainder of the half, including both offense and defense in the final minute with the game on the line.

One of the most surprising things (in my mind) is that she was often on the floor at the 3 position, playing with both Jasmine Thomas and Alex Bentley. In other words, she was playing as a forward rather than as a guard for much of her time on the floor. That tells me that the coach really wanted her on the floor even when both of his starting guards were also in the game.

The most successful lineup today seemed to be Jasmine / Alex / Kelly / Chiney / Jonquel Jones. In other games, Morgan has played well. (Alyssa Thomas has been injured with concussion symptoms for the last few games, so she was not available.). But a common theme has been that Kelsey Bone has started and has shown an ability to score and rebound, but has made enough mistakes that she is being relied on less and less as Kelly, Morgan, and Jonquel Jones have emerged. Camille Little also starts but is seeing fewer minutes.

Jonquel Jones played very well today and is the "real thing". Rachel Banham did not get a single second on the court today. (May I say I told you so?)

Since the Sun don't currently have a #1 draft pick next year, the only way that they can get better is by developing the younger players on the current roster. They can try to trade Bone and/or Banham to get someone else's so #1 pick, if any stupid GM will go for that deal. The only real basis for optimism is for Kelly / Chiney (recovering from injury) / Jonquel / Morgan to get much better by next year. I think all of them have a ceiling that they have not yet reached, so that should be possible.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
The Connecticut Sun won this afternoon, lifting their record to 3-10. Two of their three victories have been against Moriah Jefferson's San Antonio Stars team -- probably the only team in the league against whom they have a pretty clear talent advantage.

The Sun led most of the way, although San Antoniio had a 12-point lead in the third quarter. The final score was 93-90.

With a record like that, the main interest in watching Sun games is to follow ex-Huskies both on the Sun and on other teams. In this game, Moriah played over 30 minutes and had a typical Moriah-like game, not very different from what she did at UConn except that she had no Stewie to pass to, and Morgan was on the other team.

Morgan started out strongly, scoring 7 points in the first quarter, including a 3-pointer and 2 slithery drives to the basket. She looked good in previous games also. She is having trouble defending WNBA forwards, but recently they are having trouble defending her also. Whoever said she isn't athletic enough to play in the W is being proven wrong every game lately. But unfortunately, today Morgan played poorly at the beginning of the third quarter and was benched for the rest of the game. She and Camille Little had a Keystone Kops episode on a couple of plays that caused them both to come to the bench for the rest of the game.

But the big story, not only today but in other recent games, is the emergence of Kelly Faris as a player whom the coach and the team rely on greatly. Today, she played 24 minutes, had 10 points on 5-7 shooting (2-4 from 3-point range), 3 rebounds, and 1 steal. She also had 5 fouls, after fouling out of the game against New York earlier in the week. That's what happens when energetic defense encounters superior offensive athleticism in her opponents. Her plus/minus was +10, the highest on the team. She came in early in the second half (replacing Morgan) and played the remainder of the half, including both offense and defense in the final minute with the game on the line.

One of the most surprising things (in my mind) is that she was often on the floor at the 3 position, playing with both Jasmine Thomas and Alex Bentley. In other words, she was playing as a forward rather than as a guard for much of her time on the floor. That tells me that the coach really wanted her on the floor even when both of his starting guards were also in the game.

The most successful lineup today seemed to be Jasmine / Alex / Kelly / Chiney / Jonquel Jones. In other games, Morgan has played well. (Alyssa Thomas has been injured with concussion symptoms for the last few games, so she was not available.). But a common theme has been that Kelsey Bone has started and has shown an ability to score and rebound, but has made enough mistakes that she is being relied on less and less as Kelly, Morgan, and Jonquel Jones have emerged. Camille Little also starts but is seeing fewer minutes.

Jonquel Jones played very well today and is the "real thing". Rachel Banham did not get a single second on the court today. (May I say I told you so?)

Since the Sun don't currently have a #1 draft pick next year, the only way that they can get better is by developing the younger players on the current roster. They can try to trade Bone and/or Banham to get someone else's so #1 pick, if any stupid GM will go for that deal. The only real basis for optimism is for Kelly / Chiney (recovering from injury) / Jonquel / Morgan to get much better by next year. I think all of them have a ceiling that they have not yet reached, so that should be possible.
Excellent post.

I've noticed Kelly playing in the fourth quarter lately. Seems like a good sign.

I think they said Banham was not available to play.

Reaction Score

5 FGs with 2 3-point FGs, 10 points do not add up; Which is why the stats were reviewed. Ms Faris played an excellent game this afternoon and her teammates trust her. It is not necessary to inflate her stats.

Reaction Score
5 FGs with 2 3-point FGs, 10 points do not add up; Which is why the stats were reviewed. Ms Faris played an excellent game this afternoon and her teammates trust her. It is not necessary to inflate her stats.

Kiah had 4 blocks. Let's not short her

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Tina and Kiah also have a great day as Liberty beats Fever 78 to 75 in OT.
Tina, 26 pts, 15 rebs and 6 asts.
Kiah, 8 pts, 14 rebs, 2 asts, 2 blks.
No one in the league is playing better than Tina right now. Her team lost a couple of tough games in OT, but they are now 8-4. Tina is leading the league in scoring by 2.2 ppg over Diana and tied with Courtney Paris for the most rebounds per game.

Reaction Score
As we all know, no one works harder than Kelly, and now she has the advantage of working under a coach who has great confidence in her. I think she's really feeding off of that.

I agree. I've always thought that for Kelly the main issue was confidence, her own especially and especially with respect to her offense. I think she is finally coming into her own now. and it is great to see!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
No one in the league is playing better than Tina right now. Her team lost a couple of tough games in OT, but they are now 8-4. Tina is leading the league in scoring by 2.2 ppg over Diana and tied with Courtney Paris for the most rebounds per game.
I agree. Right now, hard to pick a MVP between Tina, Maya, Angel or Nneka. Tina is playing like the best player in the league, but MVP is about more than that. Honestly, I'd have to give the edge to either Maya or Angel - no one really picked Atlanta to be a top team, but they are off to a great start. Still, super close between those 4...

Anyway, so happy for Kelly. No one has worked harder or made more out of their skills with sheer effort and determination. For a player who barely made the roster to be really coming into her own is a testament not only to her willpower, but in the faith her HC had in her at the start of the season... He saw what we already knew!

Reaction Score
I wasn't even sure if Kelly would have a spot on this team (or any team) this year. So to see her not only get that spot, but finally start asserting herself a bit more, was quite satisfying. I mean, how can you not love the blue collar workhorses. :D

Reaction Score
I agree. Right now, hard to pick a MVP between Tina, Maya, Angel or Nneka. Tina is playing like the best player in the league, but MVP is about more than that. Honestly, I'd have to give the edge to either Maya or Angel - no one really picked Atlanta to be a top team, but they are off to a great start. Still, super close between those 4...

Anyway, so happy for Kelly. No one has worked harder or made more out of their skills with sheer effort and determination. For a player who barely made the roster to be really coming into her own is a testament not only to her willpower, but in the faith her HC had in her at the start of the season... He saw what we already knew!
Totally agree with you, except I think MVP should be between: Tina, Maya, Angel and CP
And finally will be either Tina and Maya

Reaction Score
Let's not forget, top ten in assists!

Reaction Score
I wasn't even sure if Kelly would have a spot on this team (or any team) this year. So to see her not only get that spot, but finally start asserting herself a bit more, was quite satisfying. I mean, how can you not love the blue collar workhorses. :D

Pretty sure it is less a case of Kelly trying harder/being more assertive and more a case of having a coach seeing her value to the team...

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Pretty sure it is less a case of Kelly trying harder/being more assertive and more a case of having a coach seeing her value to the team...
Based on my personal "eye test" as a Sun season ticket holder since (and before) Kelly started playing for them, Kelly is playing better this year than she has since her senior year at UConn. She has worked her way to being the team's first guard off the bench, behind Jasmine Thomas and Alex Bentley but ahead of Rachel Banham. They are the only four guards on the roster, so Kelly is getting plenty of playing time. And in the last couple of games, she has even been on the floor with Thomas and Bentley, playing as a small forward.

The only thing that still isn't as good as it was in her senior year is her outside shooting accuracy. But I expect that also will come back if she continues to get 20 minutes of floor time per game, as she is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom