Kellie Harper's first year at Tennessee | The Boneyard

Kellie Harper's first year at Tennessee

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Given where things were. At the time she was hired. I think we all knew it would take time. A 20-9 record and 10-6 SEC record.
Both are a improvment from last season.
Starting a young team and two freshman.
Looking a head to next year. Tennessee will enter the season a more experienced team.
The record this year was close to what I expected. Davis has really improved this year. Her overall game is better. Horston a really talented player. Had some ups and downs as most freshman do. I think next year she will shine. The biggest problem this year has been turnovers. When that gets fixed. I think the team will be a really good team. Now it's tournament time. Let's see how they do.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
harpers sub patterns are horrible and kill any offensive momentum they start to gain. she isnt exactly lighting it up on the recruiting trail either..on the other hand, if she can work on her teams turnover issue, improve on their half court game and stop with the silly wholesale subbing, she might have a prettt good year next season, providing davis doesnt leave earlt for thw wnba

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Not the best start but not the worst. Pretty average I'd say considering the roster wasn't what it was expected to be, Green going down early and having to put freshman in important roles.

The good:
-players play a LOT harder for her than they ever did for Holly. You can tell they're motivated and it appears they're buying into her system

-Rennia Davis has blossomed into a star. Big concern is if she stays or leaves after this season.

-They've had close calls but no atrocious losses this year. They're beating who they're supposed to, losing to teams they're supposed to.

-They're very young. The roster is mostly freshmen and sophomores, so in theory the team should improve as time goes on.

The bad:
-The offense still looks awful. Tennessee has never bee good at taking care of the ball but this season they look particularly bad.

-It's normal for freshmen to hit a wall but it looks like Horston's play and understanding of good decisions vs. bad ones is just getting worse honestly. That shouldn't be the case. 4.5 TO/game in 26 mpg is awful. She isn't even the PG most of the time. Compare that to Rickea Jackson at Mississippi State who was also thrown into a major role early but has immensely improved with her shot selection and decision making as the year has panned out. Kellie's handling of Horston has been a disappointment so far.

-Recruiting has been quite underwhelming. Yes, we had a good haul for 2019 and 2018, but we have no top 50 recruits on board for 2020 and 2021. Harper isn't known to be a great recruiter, so the lack of big recruits on board is cause for concern. This past year we lost 3 top 30 recruits in our backyard in Hayes, Hunt and Cardosa. The year prior we didn't get Rhyne Howard who is going to be a 1st Team All American this year. Gotta do better for 2021 or do well with the transfer market, or it's a scary future ahead.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
When I said it will take time. That also is in recruiting. There are still some good players in next year's class. That have not committed yet. Yes Davis coming back would be big. Having Green back next year will help.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think Harper was a good hire for you guys. Fully expect her to continue to improve as she starts having more of her recruits on the roster

Reaction Score
Regarding Davis, are you concerned she will transfer or is she eligible for the draft??

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think the both @bballnut90 and @stwainfan make logical points that I would parse further. Holly really masked the issues she created with her ineptness and lack of offensive philosophy-shoot and get rebounds plus her really SOFT OOC doesn't help the RPI.

Losing your starting point guard-Westbrook and your starting forward, Collins as well as your other starting guard, Zay Green is a pretty devastating blow to any team. Davis' ability to score also masked a lack of offensive philosophy and skill set that probably didn't exist so Kelli has nothing to even start with. Both the fans and the media overstated how talented this team was coming in with far too much expectation that Horston could fill in for Westbrook seamlessly. Horston has actually done fairly well all things considering. Burrell is showing some improvement and as noted-the effort by the team is evident. IF Davis doesn't come back, that would be a big blow. Tamara Key has been a pleasant surprise so the blocks are there. Massengale to me is still a work in progress.

My "optimism" on Kellie stems from how much improved her Mizzou St schedule this past year she had set up and that the team shows an offense. Whether she can recruit up to get the Top 50 HS girls is an open question. We get to find out if Tenn can recruit itself as so many LV faithful say it does.

I still don't think this years team deserves an NCAAT Bid given their paltry RPI and Q1 record. That isn't Kellie's fault in my view.

Reaction Score
From what I've seen in the three or four games I've watched this year, the team has some bad habits left over from Holly's coaching. It does not seem to be a characteristic of individuals, but of the team as a whole. There is a lethargy about the style of play that causes me to fall asleep. If Kelly could instill some intensity and better focus in the team, it may make a big difference.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Regarding Davis, are you concerned she will transfer or is she eligible for the draft??
The only way I see Davis leaving. Is if she entered the WNBA draft. She would have to meet the age reqirment.

Reaction Score
My opinion on Coach Harper is at least she is better than Holly.... I still have not decided on her yet.... whereas I could tell after just a few games that Holly wasn't Head Coach material..... the Tennessee LV program is in the position they are in now.... not being relevant in the game in a dozen years..... due to the stupidity of the athletic department.... at least that is how I see it.... how COULD they let CHW stay the head of the program for 7 years plus one de facto year.... and still questionable is hiring KJH as one from the program and not engage in a full scale search.....

The one thing i have enjoyed this year has been watching Davis play... a definite improvement over last year.... she is a player... and watching her make moves to the basket is just wonderful to watch....

The list of improvements i wait to see from the LVs .... in total control of the head coach by the way.... are ..... improvements in the offense at a basic level.... perhaps KJH can get input from Barnes or other coaches... fundamentals.... c'mon all the turnovers.... 24 turnovers vs Auburn... ouch... that is sad.... rebounding... being out rebounded by teams of lesser ability and lesser height... need to box out etc need to be hungry more gritty... i look at tennessee film of Pats years.... those gals were playing basketball hard.... not painting by the numbers as I see LVs playing now... look at the 50 50 balls... the LV player is not the first player on the floor vying for the ball most times....

For TN in future i am not worried about their recruiting... KJH can depend on her staff for that... I worry about the level of commitment she demands from her players.... and also her ability to coach the fundamentals... having over 20 turnovers all season long with no improvement over lesser teams is a glaring weakness...

but of course as said she is better than Holly

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think next year. The guard duo of Green and Horston can be dynamic. Horston had the third most assist by a freshman ever at Tennessee.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think next year. The guard duo of Green and Horston can be dynamic. Horston had the third most assist by a freshman ever at Tennessee.
and most turnovers by a freshman...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score

I sincerely always hope for you stwainfan….. endless potential must be converted at some point

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Your unfailingly optimistic posts remind me of the lovely phrase, "Hope springs eternal."

May we always have hope. Hope is life.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I sincerely always hope for you stwainfan….. endless potential must be converted at some point
Well I look at the difference. That Davis has this year is she is more mature. I think Horston has done pretty good. Considering the position she was put into this year. I think she can also use the off season to improve. She still was all conference as as freshman.

Reaction Score
Well I look at the difference. That Davis has this year is she is more mature. I think Horston has done pretty good. Considering the position she was put into this year. I think she can also use the off season to improve. She still was all conference as as freshman.

Oh Yes!!! on both counts.... Davis a joy to watch most of the time.... she is a piece you can fit into any puzzle... and Horston….. you are absolutely right … she was pushed into perhaps more than she should have been this year

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
It feels like KJH was given a lot of talent, but not necessarily pieces that fit together well. I've watched five or six Tennessee games this year and the team chemistry just seemed... flat.

Holly could recruit well, we all know that, but it never felt like she was recruiting to build a team. If that makes sense...

Hopefully as KJH starts to put her own pieces into the puzzle, she'll be able find the team that HW lost.

My verdict is still out...

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom