Kellie Harper Pre UConn Game Press Conference | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Kellie Harper Pre UConn Game Press Conference

Reaction Score
no way whatever GIF

Oh, they have two players out due to injury?
Our current injured players alone (when healthy) could compete for a Title.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
"No doubt the girls will be briefed on the cat calls and foul language they may encounter from the fans during warm up and during the course of the game."

And the mooing!

Reaction Score
Not really. It’s all in their heads. When you ask them what dirty recruiting is, they cite to some bs a Bama fan posted about them on some website and don’t understand that it’s not recruiting.

It’s all in their heads.
Negative “recruiting” isn’t working. They just got a verbal from an 8th grader. Unless she is the second coming of a Stewie like player, that’s too dang early in my opinion.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Worth noting, Tennessee is also likely without 2 of their 3 best players in Key/Horston and lost another former starter/role player in Marta Suarez who left the team a few weeks ago. A shame both teams wont be at full strength but regardless it should be a good game to watch.
What's the story on Suarez? She seemed like a real player two years ago before losing last season to injury.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What's the story on Suarez? She seemed like a real player two years ago before losing last season to injury.
As mentioned in another thread, Suarez returned home to Spain to be with her cancer-stricken mother :(

Reaction Score
The big gorilla in the room is foul trouble. I am not convinced yet that AE, Lou, and Nika as a collective unit can stay out of foul trouble. I am not worried about Dorka and Aubrey. They are not foul factories. These two teams will have a physical game and our limited bench better be ready to perform well. I can't pick a winner cause I don't know how the fouls will fall. I really hope I am wrong! Worried over here in Denver :confused:
Muhl and Griffin average exactly the same foul per minutes, 1 foul every 18 minutes; Edwards and Senechal one every 14 minutes; Dorka one every 30 minutes. That means no current Uconn starter averages 3 fouls per 40, ergo, statistically none of them are remotely “foul factories”.
Does the Uconn lack of depth make them susceptible to foul trouble? Of course, but the only game I can remember foul trouble hurting them was the quick 2 Senechal got in the Maryland game with Muhl and Fudd out with injuries. They have played great defense and rebounded well all year without fouling.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Muhl and Griffin average exactly the same foul per minutes, 1 foul every 18 minutes; Edwards and Senechal one every 14 minutes; Dorka one every 30 minutes. That means no current Uconn starter averages 3 fouls per 40, ergo, statistically none of them are remotely “foul factories”.
Does the Uconn lack of depth make them susceptible to foul trouble? Of course, but the only game I can remember foul trouble hurting them was the quick 2 Senechal got in the Maryland game with Muhl and Fudd out with injuries. They have played great defense and rebounded well all year without fouling.
UConn is 21st in the country in (least) fouls per game

875FAEB0-F997-4A11-B923-77C5D1005B75.jpeg

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
The "Average fouls per 40 minutes" tells you nothing about dispersion. If Nika gets two quick fouls in the 1st quarter and one late in the 4th qtr, she's got her average but the impact on the game is dramatic. As you said, this is what happened to Lou in Maryland with a similar result against Texas. If we get through the first qtr without fouling, I will start liking our chances much more.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think a dose of objectivity is needed. I understand there is no love for UT, but Kellie Harper is in a tough spot. Think back to any sport and the track record of replacing a legend is an almost impossible challenge. This will apply one day to UConn whenever Geno decides to step down.

Fans want to relive the "glory" days and fail to adjust their expectations. It may be that UT will never reach the lofty perch again - things end, situations change. For long-term success, recruiting is and will be the tried-and-true formula that works. Gene's approach to the transfer portal differs in that it is not wholesale, but for a specific need. Also, similar to HS recruits, he looks for the right "character."

In the presser, I thought Harper was magnanimous. She and the rest of the BY's see that despite a limited bench, our starting five is as good as anyone in the country, if not better. Teams will try to wear UConn down, but by the time it happens, UConn will be ahead by double digits.

I feel the team is ready for the hostile environment, poised to handle UT's opening salvo, and overall, has better talent and chemistry. Of course, it would be more reassuring to have more reserves, but the starting five is a seasoned, smart group that is up for the challenge.

SC presents more obstacles. They are the one team that can send in waves of players without a discernible drop in talent that could eventually expose UConn's lack of depth. However, if the starting five can avoid foul trouble, they can take the game down to the wire.
Excellent post, enjoyed it.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
at 6.5 spread, I would bet the farm on UConn. If I had a farm.
No risk it, no biscuit. :) I’m all in too. I hope our team is ready to show the world they are ready for some serious competition tonight. A win tonight would make me smile like the Batman’s Joker. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom