OT: - Keep the Handshake Line, Lose the Poor Sportsmanship | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Keep the Handshake Line, Lose the Poor Sportsmanship

Reaction Score
Get rid of it. Send an email after saying "good game" or whatever. It's 2022 we don't need to shake people's germ ridden hands after a game.
I respectfully disagree, coaches are teachers of sports and sportsmanship. With the modern civilization becoming increasingly uncivilized it should be more important than ever to teach respect of the opponent. They all handle the same germ ridden ball along with the officials all game, along with touching, holding and rolling around on the floor together. I doubt highly a fist bump or lame (as they usually are) high five will cost a player serious medical issues.
IMO, Michigan should fire him.
Can't say I disagree, he did the same thing last season. The guy has anger management issues and not in a position to be teaching college students about sportsmanship. But Warde will not fire a coach as we know at UConn he is not good at hiring them and Juwan is another example.

He did have a silly one though after already picking up a class A technical but this only got him a class B. ;)
Michigan coach Juwan Howard picks up live ball and gets a technical foul

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Bare with me for a moment on this, but about when did basketball teams start the handshake line? I’m old, and don’t remember everything from the distant past. Of course I remember playing HS basketball, and I still remember a few games, but I don’t remember if there was a handshake line after a game.
There was no line in the 1950's!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Howard threw the first punch. He deserves a suspension. Prior to the punch, Krabbenhoft is pushing two Michigan players after Howard has already disengaged from Gard. Howard and Krabbenhoft are the two I'm talking about. Gard and Howard had already separated themselves, Krabbenhoft kept it going and escalated the situation. IMO...he should also be suspended.
Disagree. He isn't pushing anyone. Once the coaches started chirping, all of the other coaches and a couple of players started coming up to de-escalate or defend their coach. Krabbenhoft was sort of just there, likely chirping back in defense of Gard, but he wasn't pushing anyone, he came up to where the barrier had been established between Michigan players and the Wisconsin side. At this point Howard was still chirping at Gard--it wasn't like the situation had de-escalated and Krabbenhoft came in and baited him. Howard out of nowhere comes around the side and smacks him in the face. Escalating to violence is 100% on Howard and JK doesn't retaliate. If Howard doesn't take the swing, literally no one would suggest anything about a suspension. It's 100% on Howard.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I was going to start a post on a handshake line after the Tennessee game, but I didn't trust my own eyes so, I thought maybe I was wrong. However, I swear that after this year's Tennessee game, the Lady Vols huddled up before handshake line time and then, rather than walk the line, they went the other direction and into their locker room. Horston was the only one who went and shook UConn players' hands. I could not believe it. Did anyone else at that game notice it?

Reaction Score
Disagree. He isn't pushing anyone. Once the coaches started chirping, all of the other coaches and a couple of players started coming up to de-escalate or defend their coach. Krabbenhoft was sort of just there, likely chirping back in defense of Gard, but he wasn't pushing anyone, he came up to where the barrier had been established between Michigan players and the Wisconsin side. At this point Howard was still chirping at Gard--it wasn't like the situation had de-escalated and Krabbenhoft came in and baited him. Howard out of nowhere comes around the side and smacks him in the face. Escalating to violence is 100% on Howard and JK doesn't retaliate. If Howard doesn't take the swing, literally no one would suggest anything about a suspension. It's 100% on Howard.
What's your definition of push? He was there because he came there. Watch the video and believe what you see. As a coach...he shouldn't have been chirping. Chirping, or whatever you want to call it...is escalation. He didn't need to defend Gard who was already separated from Howard. Separation...both head coaches headed in two different directions is de-escalation. And you're RIGHT...Howard came out of nowhere because...he had been leaving until....the assistant started the pushing. He should have been gathering his kids and heading to the locker room. Gard is gone and there was zero need to defend anything. It was over. You seem to think my issue is with Howard being suspended. It's not. I'm not buying this notion that the actions of others didn't contribute to an actual brawl. What Howard did has no bearing on the professional responsibilities of other coaches. They don't get a pass from me just because they got hit.

Reaction Score
That assumes both are equally culpable. (Questionable) And no guarantee Michigan even makes the tournament. They are deep in the bubble.
Howard should have been fired immediately, throwing a punch at the other teams assistant coach is grounds for it. Two of his players went crazy after Howard’s initial swing, both gave good impression’s of Sugar Ray Leonard.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Absolutely LOVED Tom Izzo take on ending the handshake line.

Reaction Score
Keep it.

For me, the whole idea that your team and you can go to 'war' with another school and battle fiercely. But when the horn sounds and the game if over, win or lose, acknowledge your foe and move on. Take pride and give respect.

Reaction Score
Absolutely LOVED Tom Izzo take on ending the handshake line.

Wow! So glad to hear what Izzo said! I had seen a picture of him on my ESPN feed and it looked, deceptively imo, like he was for getting rid of the handshake line. I was so disappointed! I should have checked it out and not trusted espn’s presentation. I agree with what Coach Izzo said 100%!

Reaction Score
I think the line is stupid and have since it began.

I think both coaches are morons.

Howard should be banned until the day after the men's final. Gard should miss the next 2 games. Players who threw punches miss next 3 games.

Howard's lament that Gard called a time out when ahead by 15 with 20(?) seconds left falls on deaf ears here, since Howard was full-court pressing at the time. SMH
Clearly the decisions by both coaches at the end of the game were extreme and maybe childish, but Gard grabbed Howard ( Howard did not want to talk), then wrongly Howard took down his mask and pointed at Gard and said some unfortunate things. What is also curious and strange is look how many Wisconsin Assistants are ready to get immediately involved… almost as if they knew there would be an incident.?

Reaction Score
They’re adults. They should act like it when they’re representing their schools. It’s a freaking basketball game, why should anyone be so angry they have to take a swing at another person?
As you recently said---they are human being human and humans aren't always logical in the moment.. Expecting more from humans to highjack your phrase: is to expect disappointment. Only robots are truly predictable

Reaction Score
They’re adults. They should act like it when they’re representing their schools. It’s a freaking basketball game, why should anyone be so angry they have to take a swing at another person?
Psychological studies tend to say: Maturity, the judgement you'd expect them to have, arrives about age 28 to 34. Obviously, that is not true of all 15 to 40 year olds, some early some late.

Reaction Score
Bare with me for a moment on this, but about when did basketball teams start the handshake line? I’m old, and don’t remember everything from the distant past. Of course I remember playing HS basketball, and I still remember a few games, but I don’t remember if there was a handshake line after a game.
When I played, with the square ball, sportsmanship was expected, handshaking lines didn't appear for a long time after--but pick a date, I don't have a clue. Even pickup games were for the game. I don't remember ever getting so hot someone swung at one another.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom