Keep Pitt and SU out of the BET????? | The Boneyard

Keep Pitt and SU out of the BET?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like the idea of it as an "F-U" to them for leaving, but at the same time the two programs have done a lot for the league and I think it would be pretty special to see a final installment of the BET. Imagine the additional hype and pressure that will be on not only the departing teams, but also everyone else in the league to win it.

Like it or not, the league is not going to have nearly the same combination of history and skill ever again once these two schools leave. Let's enjoy it while it lasts, and when the dramatic final BET comes, hopefully some school can slam the door in their faces.

Reaction Score
Silly idea.
Let them play- the rest of the BE will do their best to beat them like a baby seal. It's not the BET unless all the teams in the BE play- they are members so they need to play if you want a real champ. Unlike them we will do our talking on the court instead of behind closed doors. Excluding them would only prove we are as petty and shallow as they are.

Reaction Score
What do you have against baby seals?

Actually, SU would love to be "kicked out" before the the 27-month hostage period ends. It's a long time to be held hostage.

Reaction Score
Maybe they'll develop a Stockholm syndrome kind of thing and not want to leave after the 27 months.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
What do you have against baby seals?

Actually, SU would love to be "kicked out" before the the 27-month hostage period ends. It's a long time to be held hostage.
They are not being held hostage, Joyce they are just being held to what they agreed to. Both Cuse and Pitt voted for the restrictions. It is just a bit hypocritical to want to disregard them. That said, as long as they are in the conference they are entitled to go to the BET.

Reaction Score
That idea is stupid. The most immediate thought of 99% of the people concerned with UConn basketball is how much it will suck to have the Big East Tournament destroyed by conference realignment. Keeping Syracuse and Pitt out of that will only hasten the demise of what has been the best conference tournament in college basketball for 20 years.

A Big East tournament without Syracuse and Pitt really isn't a Big East Tournament at all. That is the problem with those schools leaving and I'd rather enjoy a year or two more of it instead of keeping them out.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'll only enjoy it if someone beats their sorry *sses in the BE regular season or tournament. And hopefully that someone is UConn.

Reaction Score
Why punish the kids? Its not like they were at the table.

Reaction Score
They are not being held hostage, Joyce they are just being held to what they agreed to. Both Cuse and Pitt voted for the restrictions. It is just a bit hypocritical to want to disregard them. That said, as long as they are in the conference they are entitled to go to the BET.
It would be similar to an employee resigning and the company requiring a 27 month notice. If you are the company you would likely want that employee out sooner.Syracuse and Pitt should play this season out in the BE with full privilages, pay their $5mm and leave. Remember, Uconn could also be leaving shortly.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The retention of the schools for 27 months allows the BE to get other football schools to join the league. This is less about punishment and more about trying to stabilize the conference. I'm sure if the BE can somehow add more football teams to the conference and can get the assurance of the BCS that the BE retains its AQ, the BE will allow Cuse and Pitt an earlier exit.

Of course things are so fluid there is not assurance that other BE teams will be leaving the conference. Rutgers and UConn now appear to be long shots to join the ACC but that is still possible. WV is still in play for the SEC and the B12 and Louisville and perhaps Cinci are in play for B12.

If those three schools get invites they will be gone. That will mean there are enough football BE schools leaving to cause the dissolution of the football schools association with the BE and Cuse and Pitt and the other schools will be able to leave after this season. That is because the arrangement in the BE allows a majority of football BE schools to vote and break away from the BE conference.

If they do this the BE will lose it's BCS AQ and be reduced to a mid major conference like Conference USA.

Reaction Score
I don't like the idea, but then again, I'm not all that mad about Pitt & SU looking after their own interests and bolting for the ACC. Like it or not, the Big East has been vulnerable since the 12-team minimum to hold a FB Conf Championship game was announced by the NCAAs and the inception of the BCS BS.

If UConn found out that they and Pitt or they and SU were invited to join the ACC, do you think our administration would have turned that down?

Anyhow, I'm not for punishing the kids and their fans. I think they should be held to the 27 months before they can leave...but if and once UConn gets an ACC invite, I'd drop that clause. :)

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I don't like the idea, but then again, I'm not all that mad about Pitt & SU looking after their own interests and bolting for the ACC. Like it or not, the Big East has been vulnerable since the 12-team minimum to hold a FB Conf Championship game was announced by the NCAAs and the inception of the BCS BS.

If UConn found out that they and Pitt or they and SU were invited to join the ACC, do you think our administration would have turned that down?

Anyhow, I'm not for punishing the kids and their fans. I think they should be held to the 27 months before they can leave...but if and once UConn gets an ACC invite, I'd drop that clause. :)
I'm pretty sure if two more football teams leave the conference no longer can hold any of the four teams to the 27 month clause.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'd rather watch a BET with those two programs involved. It's not as fun if we don't beat them on the court. Who really cares about vindictive jealously moves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom