Kayla McBride reportedly breaks her ankle | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kayla McBride reportedly breaks her ankle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I saw an article that said that she was giving up basketball.

Not hard to understand. The WNBA is not anything like the NBA. They don't get rich overnight like NBA rookies.

She may be playing it smart and getting into coaching instead but coaching seems to be a pretty dicey profession.

IMO- she should play a few years in the NBA if she has the chance. It would only make her a better coach.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
What linked article?

If you'll notice in the message you were replying to, the word "that" should be in blue (or some other unique color). If you click on it, it should take you to the linked article.

Reaction Score
Duh...I didn't notice the difference.

Maybe she was just tired from the long college BB season and will give the WNBA a chance. She can still attend classes this fall for her Masters or whatever.

Reaction Score
Tell me what I'm missing.
Quite simply, Moriah.

McBride is a very good player; nobody can reasonably argue against that. Her numbers for her first two years are remarkably consistent, but for this year, she (was) on target to blow them out of the water. Reason: an outstanding PG to deliver the ball when and where it is needed, draw the defense away, facilitate effective court spacing....in general, to make you a better player. McBride isn't a lone beacon; the team now has (had) two threats.

As bad as this will sound, I see a couple of bright points: firstly, it was an ankle, not a knee, so the likelyhood of McBride coming back and being the same player she was is statistically higher; secondly, the Spurs effect; San Antonio didn't become the powerhouse they are until the Admiral went down, clearing the way for a high draft pick - the rest is history.

Adding a strong 4 or 5 to a team with a star 1 & 2, and you have a contender.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I just watched the replay on League Pass. At about 6:00 of the 3rd quarter Maya dribbles down the middle with Kayla guarding her. She passes off and goes around a couple of picks and shoots from the foul line. Kayla goes around the picks and tries to defend Maya's shot. She doesn't look like she rolled the ankle. It just went out from under her.

Thought I saw that correctly.
She did a sort of jump stop with both feet very close together as Maya was doing her step back, and they showed it in slow motion replay and the ankle of one foot rolled over to at least a right angle - it looked nasty, but usually would just be a severe sprain. Unfortunately for her one of the bones broke.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
She did a sort of jump stop with both feet very close together as Maya was doing her step back, and they showed it in slow motion replay and the ankle of one foot rolled over to at least a right angle - it looked nasty, but usually would just be a severe sprain. Unfortunately for her one of the bones broke.

For what it's worth...still no official word from the team or McBride or anyone besides that article.

Reaction Score
I liked Kayla and Jewell at ND, considering they were part of the Evil Empire. To me, Skylar was a diva, but she may have been the key in terms of giving her team the confidence to beat UConn.

So, Moriah and Crystal are ankle-breakers in a figurative sense, but apparently Maya is literally an ankle breaker. ;)

Heal fast and completely, KMac!
Somebody had to say it :D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I liked Kayla and Jewell at ND, considering they were part of the Evil Empire. To me, Skylar was a diva, but she may have been the key in terms of giving her team the confidence to beat UConn.

So, Moriah and Crystal are ankle-breakers in a figurative sense, but apparently Maya is literally an ankle breaker. ;)

Heal fast and completely, KMac!

It's not that I didn't like K-Mac, I justed hated when things went bad, how frusterated and upset she got. She would walk around with her heard down.

As for Maya.....lol

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Can't believe everything you read in newspapers these days, I guess.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Quite simply, Moriah.

McBride is a very good player; nobody can reasonably argue against that. Her numbers for her first two years are remarkably consistent, but for this year, she (was) on target to blow them out of the water. Reason: an outstanding PG to deliver the ball when and where it is needed, draw the defense away, facilitate effective court spacing....in general, to make you a better player. McBride isn't a lone beacon; the team now has (had) two threats.

As bad as this will sound, I see a couple of bright points: firstly, it was an ankle, not a knee, so the likelyhood of McBride coming back and being the same player she was is statistically higher; secondly, the Spurs effect; San Antonio didn't become the powerhouse they are until the Admiral went down, clearing the way for a high draft pick - the rest is history.

I'm not forgetting about Mo. However, she is not ready to assume Bride's role just yet. As I said, McBride was the team's leading scorer 90% of the time. Mo is a rookie guard that has played about 16 games. She's not ready to take on that role. I referred to McBride as the lone beacon because of her and her teammate's past performances. Until Mo (or another teammate) can score 15-20 points a night regularly, I can't consider them a "beacon". I understand your position, but I'll stand fast on mine, and my original thoughts. We can revisit this at the end of the season and see which one of us had the correct perspective.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Quite simply, Moriah.

I'm not forgetting about Mo. However, she is not ready to assume Bride's role just yet. As I said, McBride was the team's leading scorer 90% of the time. Mo is a rookie guard that has played about 16 games. She's not ready to take on that role. I referred to McBride as the lone beacon because of her and her teammate's past performances. Until Mo (or another teammate) can score 15-20 points a night regularly, I can't consider them a "beacon". I understand your position, but I'll stand fast on mine, and my original thoughts. We can revisit this at the end of the season and see which one of us had the correct perspective.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
You also can't trust the Stars official twitter it seems...

So now, it's a fracture but foot not ankle. By Friday maybe we'll find out it was the ankle all along, lol.

The fact that this is her second foot fracture in her young career is worrisome to me. :(

Reaction Score

Can't believe everything you read in newspapers these days, I guess.

It's hard to tell exactly how bad injuries are even if you see close-ups on TV etc.

I saw Becky Hammon tear her ACL and she was just making a cut along the baseline.

That's why they have to do MRIs etc.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Misinformation galore: The Stars announce Kayla is out for the season with a stress fracture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom