Kayla McBride reportedly breaks her ankle | The Boneyard

Kayla McBride reportedly breaks her ankle

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A game report from a MN newspaper on last nights SA/MN game says the Stars are reporting that Kayla has broken her ankle - it was a non contact injury during the game where she tried to stop her momentum and rolled her left ankle - she was in great pain on the floor for quite a while and was helped to the locker room.

Stars will miss her a lot.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ouch, best wishes to KMac! Heal fast!

S.A. will be playing for the first draft pick. I look for MoJeff to be more aggressive offensively.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Hmm...I don't think there's been an official report yet. I've seen speculation on a few different things it could have been, none of them good.

She struggled with a foot problem last year, now this. Seems like she is just snakebitten.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A game report from a MN newspaper on last nights SA/MN game says the Stars are reporting that Kayla has broken her ankle - it was a non contact injury during the game where she tried to stop her momentum and rolled her left ankle - she was in great pain on the floor for quite a while and was helped to the locker room.

Stars will miss her a lot.

The fans and the entire Stars organization will miss her very much.
SHE was the lone beacon of light in a dark place, the team's leading scorer. She'll probably be out the remainder of the season. With McBride, the Stars had a chance, albeit a slim one. Without her, they almost have no chance of winning a game. They are 4-13 through Saturday July 2.

Even with McBride, the Stars were going to be a 2017 WNBA lottery draft qualifier again anyway. I agree with "MilfordHusky" (above), Moriah will have to step up, be more aggressive (as will the rest of the team) and try to take up some of the slack created by McBride's absence. Like Bill Belichick (head coach/New England Patriots) says.........."Just do your job".

Mo IS ready. The training wheels have come off. Moriah did not ask for this, but she has it none the less. Her teammates and coaches will be looking to her to take over. Her recent 31 point game proves that she can. Her Connecticut Husky training and experience has groomed her for this situation. She can do this. Moriah is a leader. The baton has been passed to her to carry for the rest of the season.

You may think it unfair for a 5'7 rookie guard to be placed in this situation. Life is not fair. Neither is sports."Ya dance with the one ya brung" !! Things happen for a reason. Sometimes we never find out why, sometimes we find out later, down the road.

There's no doubt that Mo will meet and maybe exceed the expectations of her coaches, the team, and their fans. She's going to show her teammates, and the rest of the WNBA why she was chosen #2 in the draft. Go Moriah, Go Stars.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Stars need some help upfront...their leading rebounder is averaging 5ish rebounds per game...can't win in a league like the WNBA without winning the boards....unfortunately, next years draft doesn't knock your socks off with bigs...if they can have another tough year however, then the 2018 draft has Turner and Wilson...McBride/ Jefferson and either Turner or Wilson would be a very. very good big 3

Reaction Score
I was at the game last night. Sat right behind the Star's bench.

Kayla was trying to guard Maya. I think Kayla was going around a pick in the middle. Maya took a step-back jumper and Kayla couldn't even contest the shot. I thought she just slipped like Maggie Lucas did on that drive by Bria. Kayla just went to the floor and stayed there for about 5 minutes and pounded the floor with a fist. She had to be helped off the floor and couldn't put any weight on her right leg.

Reaction Score
The Stars need some help upfront...their leading rebounder is averaging 5ish rebounds per game...can't win in a league like the WNBA without winning the boards....unfortunately, next years draft doesn't knock your socks off with bigs...if they can have another tough year however, then the 2018 draft has Turner and Wilson...McBride/ Jefferson and either Turner or Wilson would be a very. very good big 3

The Stars should've kept Brittany Martin. She can rebound, pass and can put a team on her back with her scoring. She would be a perfect compliment to Mo and Kayla.

You might say that she lacks size but she's the same height as Maya.

Hopefully she'll get a call-up from the coaching staff if they have any sense.
was one of the 3 best players this year along with Mo and Brianna.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The fans and the entire Stars organization will miss her very much. SHE was the lone beacon of light in a dark place, the team's leading scorer. She'll probably be out the remainder of the season. With McBride, the Stars had a chance, albeit a slim one. Without her, they almost have no chance of winning a game. They are 4-13 through Saturday July 2.

Even with McBride, the Stars were going to be a 2017 WNBA lottery draft qualifier again anyway. I agree with "MilfordHusky" (above), Moriah will have to step up, be more aggressive (as will the rest of the team) and try to take up some of the slack created by McBride's absence. Like Bill Belichick (head coach/New England Patriots) says....."Just do your job".

Mo IS ready. The training wheels have come off. Moriah did not ask for this, but she has it none the less. Her teammates and coaches will be looking to her to take over. Her recent 31 point game proves that she can. Her Connecticut Husky training and experience has groomed her for this situation. She can do this. Moriah is a leader. The baton has been passed to her to carry for the rest of the season.

You may think it unfair for a 5'7 rookie guard to be placed in this situation. Life is not fair. Neither is sports."Ya dance with the one ya brung" !! Things happen for a reason. Sometimes we never find out why, sometimes we find out later, down the road.

There's no doubt that Mo will meet and maybe exceed the expectations of her coaches, the team, and their fans. She's going to show her teammates, and the rest of the WNBA why she was chosen #2 in the draft. Go Moriah, Go Stars.
188.gif

Reaction Score
Hmm...I don't think there's been an official report yet. I've seen speculation on a few different things it could have been, none of them good.

She struggled with a foot problem last year, now this. Seems like she is just snakebitten.
I got to the game an hour before it started and Kayla was out there taking passes from the helpers for about half an hour. I think she really wanted to do well in this game.

Appel got into early foul trouble and the rest of the Lynx were keying in on Kayla so she didn't get many good looks.

I felt bad for her when she went down.

Reaction Score
I don't think Kayla's necessarily "snake-bit".

These women are playing a dangerous game at hyper-speed. Any one of them could go down at any time. They're flesh and blood.

You have to go to the games in person to really appreciate how hard they play.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Tough loss for the Stars and you have to feel for McBride who is a great player and has worked hard to improve her game over the last year plus. That said, in the grand scheme of things, it might not be the worst case scenario for the Stars. This will give Jefferson an opportunity to take a bigger role and for other players to step up. They weren't going anywhere this year, and now they'll have a great shot at nabbing the #1 or #2 pick next year. 2017 projects to be a pretty weak draft considering a good chunk of the 2013 kids have reclassified as 2014 due to transfer or injury, but they should be able to get a decent player to help stop the bleeding. And if they can get a solid kid to come on board next year (maybe Coates?) plus a more experienced Jefferson and a healthy McBride, they can do some damage. What they really need are better posts, but they'll be too early for the Wilson/Turner sweepstakes by a year.

Reaction Score
The fans and the entire Stars organization will miss her very much. SHE was the lone beacon of light in a dark place, the team's leading scorer. She'll probably be out the remainder of the season. With McBride, the Stars had a chance, albeit a slim one. Without her, they almost have no chance of winning a game. They are 4-13 through Saturday July 2.

Even with McBride, the Stars were going to be a 2017 WNBA lottery draft qualifier again anyway. I agree with "MilfordHusky" (above), Moriah will have to step up, be more aggressive (as will the rest of the team) and try to take up some of the slack created by McBride's absence. Like Bill Belichick (head coach/New England Patriots) says....."Just do your job".

Mo has to face losing games by 25 points or more...

Stewie gets stuffed and taken down to the ground by her ex-teammate...

They're getting a taste of reality as it exists in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
I was at the game last night. Sat right behind the Star's bench.

Kayla was trying to guard Maya. I think Kayla was going around a pick in the middle. Maya took a step-back jumper and Kayla couldn't even contest the shot. I thought she just slipped like Maggie Lucas did on that drive by Bria. Kayla just went to the floor and stayed there for about 5 minutes and pounded the floor with a fist. She had to be helped off the floor and couldn't put any weight on her right leg.

Same reaction my daughter had when she fractured her ankle. She wasn't guarding Maya when she did it but it was also non contact

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
That's just awful news. Injuries are the worst part of sports, and it just sucks to see a great player like Kayla go out.

I hope she gets well soon.

Reaction Score
IMO Kayla McBride didn't get the credit she deserved at ND! She was the best player on that roster during her 4 years and all the attention went to Diggins! Especially vs UCONN she was deadly, inside and out, always hitting big baskets in heated times!
I'm sorry to hear of her ankle injury! Here's hoping she makes a quick & complete recovery!

Reaction Score
Same reaction my daughter had when she fractured her ankle. She wasn't guarding Maya when she did it but it was also non contact

I just watched the replay on League Pass. At about 6:00 of the 3rd quarter Maya dribbles down the middle with Kayla guarding her. She passes off and goes around a couple of picks and shoots from the foul line. Kayla goes around the picks and tries to defend Maya's shot. She doesn't look like she rolled the ankle. It just went out from under her.

Thought I saw that correctly.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Methinks you need to change the batteries in your turban. :rolleyes:

Really? My ensemble is functioning normally. OK, Who else was giving her any help? Like Tina Charles (NY Liberty), McBride showed up EVERY night. Sometimes she got a little help, most nights she did not. Gia Perkins (11.3 ppg) and Sophia Young-Malcomb (11.5 ppg) where the only other star players to average double figures for the season. Those numbers only add up to 38.5 ppg. Which is why they finished the season 8-26.

This year's team is a little better, but not much. As I write this, they're 4-13. They won't win 10 games this season. If McBride is out the rest of the season, I doubt they'll match last year's record. They can't pass the "eye" test. Again, I remind you of the immortal words of one Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are". He also said: "Resourceful coaches strive to have more ways to win than the other team".

The Stars are still in the rebuilding mode, and will be for the next two years, assuming they draft well, and maybe get lucky in picking up a serviceable free agent or two. They need to get resourceful real fast, because right now, this team is circling the drain. I suggested that MO is going to have to step up, but so will everyone else on the team. Mo is not A savior, or THE savior. She can't put the team on her back and carry them to glory.

They need two more players that can score and play defense. They also need at least two roll players coming off the bench that can come in and give the starters a blow, without giving up any ground while they're in there. I don't know where the "batteries" comment came from. I'm calling it like I see it. I'm calling a spade a spade. If YOU see it differently, please explain. Tell me what I'm missing.

Reaction Score
I knew from the moment I saw that they waived Brittany Martin that they'd hard season even with Kayla healthy. Kayla was the heart and soul of the team this year.

If they pick up Martin and give Mo a chance to get the team running like she's capable of then I think they can still win at least 10 games this year.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The Stars should've kept Brittany Martin. She can rebound, pass and can put a team on her back with her scoring. She would be a perfect compliment to Mo and Kayla.

You might say that she lacks size but she's the same height as Maya.

Hopefully she'll get a call-up from the coaching staff if they have any sense.
was one of the 3 best players this year along with Mo and Brianna.

Sometimes you have to wonder just how capable some of these GM's are at evaluating talent. They hire the coaches and select the players. How long have the Lynx been good, and how long have the Stars and the Sun been bad? A good GM that knows his/her craft and how to judge talent can be the difference in a team's fortune and future. Winning starts at the top.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
As a fan, I was never a McBride fan. But I do respect players who give it their best, and she certainly does. Probably, the reason I never liked her was that she was/is a very good player who once posed a competitive threat to my favorites. Pettiness among sports fans is not rare. But it isn't cool, either. So...

Props for you Kayla! Heal quickly and fully.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I liked Kayla and Jewell at ND, considering they were part of the Evil Empire. To me, Skylar was a diva, but she may have been the key in terms of giving her team the confidence to beat UConn.

So, Moriah and Crystal are ankle-breakers in a figurative sense, but apparently Maya is literally an ankle breaker. ;)

Heal fast and completely, KMac!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS