Katz: Top 10 Conferences | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Katz: Top 10 Conferences

Reaction Score
I wonder if Kelvin Sampson is considering a move to a different conference. He won a few NCAA games when Rob Gray got hot late in the season. They were pretty fun to watch. Outside our 2014 win, that was some of the most notable NCAA tournament success for the AAC. Would be a hit to the already struggling AAC if Kelvin left for better opportunities.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Kelvin Sampson is considering a move to a different conference
several PAC schools could use a jumpstart. i go in a heartbeat if i'm him. he can sell kids on playing against zona, ucla, oregon, etc. as opposed to being arch rivals with smu and tulsa.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wonder if Kelvin Sampson is considering a move to a different conference. He won a few NCAA games when Rob Gray got hot late in the season. They were pretty fun to watch. Outside our 2014 win, that was some of the most notable NCAA tournament success for the AAC. Would be a hit to the already struggling AAC if Kelvin left for better opportunities.
Rob Gray only won 1 game in the tournament at Houston.

Reaction Score
Are you sure? I guess it was memorable
Yep, he was great but they lost on a ridiculous buzzer beater three pointer to Michigan in the round of 32, Michigan went to the title game where they got smoked by Nova.

Reaction Score
Yep, he was great but they lost on a ridiculous buzzer beater three pointer to Michigan in the round of 32, Michigan went to the title game where they got smoked by Nova.
I remember the Michigan game. For some reason I thought that was in the 2nd weekend.

Reaction Score
Any ranking that puts the Missouri Valley in the top 10 is a joke. Putting the WCC and the MWC there too is a huge joke. Ignoring the AAC with 2 top 20 teams is utter incompetence. And trying to rank anything with few inter league games an some teams having played fewer than 4-5 games is a fools errand.
Houston is #5 but not seeing another AAC team in the top 20. Am I missing something? I don’t see another AAC team even getting votes

Reaction Score
Houston is #5 but not seeing another AAC team in the top 20. Am I missing something? I don’t see another AAC team even getting votes
Was looking at the AAC rankings on KenPom the other day:

10 - Houston
49 - SMU
63 - Memphis
76 - Cincinnati
84 - Tulsa
93 - UCF
95 - Wichita State
100 - USF
122 - ECU
150 - Temple
203 - Tulane

Woof.
Look at tcf’s post. Kenpom isn’t perfect but it gives you a nice snapshot of the league. SMU is a pretty solid team, but it’s possible this is a one bid league (assuming Houston wins the conference tourney). Memphis and SMU have some work to do if they want to make it. And with so little good conference games, it’ll be hard for them to make up ground.

Reaction Score
it's freescooter, he posts terrible opinions and factual wrong info all the time and never comes back to correct it.

Reaction Score
For comparisons sake, Big East KenPom Rankings currently:

Nova 4
Creighton 14
Xavier 45
UConn 47
Seton Hall 50
Marquette 53
Providence 62
Butler 72
DePaul 87
St. John’s 92
Georgetown 109

Hopefully looking at a 5 bid, possibly 7 bid league if things break right.

Reaction Score
He's got similar to the Ollie contract. Remainder is buyout. So he likely won't leave for a few more years as he still has 12 million left on his deal. In addition, his son is the Coach in Waiting at Houston. So I doubt it, but maybe if the new school took them as a package deal.

Reaction Score
Nova 4
Creighton 14
Xavier 45
UConn 47
Seton Hall 50
Marquette 53
Providence 62
Butler 72
DePaul 87
St. John’s 92
Georgetown 109

Hopefully looking at a 5 bid, possibly 7 bid league if things break right.
crazy that marquette is 1-3 in conference and 5-5 overall with wins against wisconsin and creighton. how many teams have two top 10 wins on their resume? i think 6 tourney bids is a good bet with the last coming down to Hall or PC.

Reaction Score
Objectively, the AAC is not a good basketball conference. They have very little NCAA Tournament success, and the teams rarely reach the second weekend. They get zero respect from the selection committee, and are always under seeded. If you take out UConn's NCAA Tournament wins as part of the conference, the AAC's NCAA Tournament record as a whole is absolutely putrid.
Exactly as the new Big East. Take out Villanova and look at the record. And the Big East gets too much respect and is over seeded. Villanova is Gonzaga. Take them out and you have a glorified A10.

Reaction Score
Exactly as the new Big East. Take out Villanova and look at the record. And the Big East gets too much respect and is over seeded. Villanova is Gonzaga. Take them out and you have a glorified A10.
Big East NCAA tournament wins since 2015 not including it's best program Villanova- 15 wins
including Villanova- 29 wins

American Athletic Conference NCAA tournament wins since 2015 not including it's best program Houston- 2 wins
including Houston- 5 wins

Reaction Score
Over half the conference has a worse Kenpom than the second worst team in the Big East. They’re not even comparable.

Reaction Score
Any ranking that puts the Missouri Valley in the top 10 is a joke. Putting the WCC and the MWC there too is a huge joke. Ignoring the AAC with 2 top 20 teams is utter incompetence. And trying to rank anything with few inter league games an some teams having played fewer than 4-5 games is a fools errand.

Well, someone has to make the top 10. Horizon League let's put in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom