Katz on Drummond | The Boneyard

Katz on Drummond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Andy Katz: If it were my son, it might be hard to digest, but I can see the overall merit of adding a player who might allow my son to experience a chance at a national championship. That's how much the addition of Drummond means to the Huskies. It's not fair. But it's the reality of the situation, and I'm sure every school in the country under the exact same restrictions would find a way to make it work to add a player the caliber of Drummond.

Net is he's right, and for all the 'negative', this is the truth...

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
if Bradley is getting a free ride, albeit from a different source, I don't understand what the downside is for him

am I missing something?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
if Bradley is getting a free ride, albeit from a different source, I don't understand what the downside is for him

am I missing something?

Yes, it's not a free ride when you get financial aid. It's a loan.

willie99

Reaction Score

I thought he was getting a needs based scholarship

anxious to hear that this whole thing as been finalized and approved. what's the delay?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Getting these type of monies takes time. The one thing you can be certain is the school is trying its best to help JC. This wasn't always the case in the past.

Reaction Score
My point is more 'ammo' against the naysayers, that Katz hits it right on the head that every school would do the same to get an AD type player on their roster...regardless of how it falls out...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
My point is more 'ammo' against the naysayers, that Katz hits it right on the head that every school would do the same to get an AD type player on their roster...regardless of how it falls out...
Haters gonna hate no matter what. But you are correct this is a non issue because it falls within the rules. Heck most people go over the speed limit and don't think twice that they are breaking the law and putting someone's life in danger besides themselves. If I didn't do it I could hold up my middle finger against the holier than thou's that exist. My concern isn't what people think about this process. My concern right now is that UConn can get AD onto the team. And I hope they can do it without causing a player to transfer.

Reaction Score
agreed 100%...i'm not worried about 'haters', because that's what 'fans' do...when u r on top, they try to knock u down...its all good...and hoping Uconn works thru the details and AD is eligible asap

Reaction Score

anxious to hear that this whole thing as been finalized and approved. what's the delay?
Considering Bradley grew up in an orphanage, I'm sure he'll qualify for Grants that cover all costs. Plus, he's in a 6 year pharmacy program. He would have to still pay for 1 year. It might as well be this year.

Reaction Score

Any type of scholarship even a full-academic ride counts against your scholarship cap. Otherwise you could recruit all the Brandon Knights of the world and not have to use an athletic scholarship on them. Any type of schollie counts against your athletic schollie cap

Reaction Score
It will work itself out. One of the Germans will leave to go pro- whatever. Wait for the outcome the result will be the same.

willie99

Reaction Score
OK, so he's paying for one year through loans, but it's less expensive than a year of grad school for which he'll be on an athletic scholarship under this arrangement

Reaction Score
What if MB never ends up getting his schooly back after giving it up this year? That could be a concern. This year AD needs his maybe next year ____ might need it. Something to be considered.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Considering Bradley grew up in an orphanage, I'm sure he'll qualify for Grants that cover all costs. Plus, he's in a 6 year pharmacy program. He would have to still pay for 1 year. It might as well be this year.
that's what i was thinking about. you get 5 years potential scholarhips to complete 4 years of sports related eligibility correct? so if he got a free ride last year for his non medical red shirt, he can't red shirt again but he has 4 more potential years of a free ride (scholly).

as a pharmacy major, he'd then have to pay for his 5th and final year. i see no problem with having him "pay" for this year and then get his last 4 years paid for. having said that, if he plays this year, he'd only have 3 years of athletic eligibility left so would he have to redshirt one more year to get his last year paid for? i'm so confused...

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
My question is while everyone says he will be here for 6 years and can only have a ship for 5 years so he might as well pay his own way this year, won't he be ineligible to receive a scholarship in his 6th year? He won't have any eligibility left to remain on the team for a 6th year. Is it assumed that he would get some sort of non basketball grant his 6th year when he's no longer on the team?

Reaction Score
My question is while everyone says he will be here for 6 years and can only have a ship for 5 years so he might as well pay his own way this year, won't he be ineligible to receive a scholarship in his 6th year? He won't have any eligibility left to remain on the team for a 6th year. Is it assumed that he would get some sort of non basketball grant his 6th year when he's no longer on the team?

that would be my interpretation to, that he can only get a scholarship through the 5 years from the day he steps on campus. I can not see how the school can pay for him after he stops playing basketball.

Reaction Score

Loan aid comes back to haunt a student for years every month when they have to cut a check.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Any type of scholarship even a full-academic ride counts against your scholarship cap. Otherwise you could recruit all the Brandon Knights of the world and not have to use an athletic scholarship on them. Any type of schollie counts against your athletic schollie cap

What about Govt Grants though? They (not the school) assess your ability to pay based on your financial situation and provide loans and grants accordingly. His overall loan would likely be small...

Reaction Score
What about Govt Grants though? They (not the school) assess your ability to pay based on your financial situation and provide loans and grants accordingly. His overall loan would likely be small...

Under that scenario, I'm fairly sure it wouldn't count against the scholarship cap. A loan is still a loan in the end which completely voids the likelihood it would be considered a ship. That's to my understanding anyways, but the NCAA is finicky as all hell

They just had to pass a ruling that Universities could now supply visiting recruits with Bagel (already allowed) condiments (not allowed). No joke, they seriously had to say it was okay to supply them with butter, cream cheese, peanut butter or jelly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom