Katie Smith and Bob Picozzi | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Katie Smith and Bob Picozzi

Reaction Score
Bob Picozzi "Do You Knowzzi" and Katie Smith work very well together (I hope that they continue on ESPN's Coverage of UCONN Women's Basketball and "KEEP OFF THE AIR" Doris "Ms. Know It All" Burke

Reaction Score
Bob Picozzi "Do You Knowzzi" and Katie Smith work very well together (I hope that they continue on ESPN's Coverage of UCONN Women's Basketball and "KEEP OFF THE AIR" Doris "Ms. Know It All" Burke

I enjoyed both Picozzi and Smith. Completely agree with you about Doris Burke, who not only knows it all, but overdramatizes everything using her female version of James Earl Jones' "God" voice. I'm also very happy to have Stephanie White leave the broadcast booth for coaching. Her constant criticism of the decisions on the floor made it sound that if she was the coach, everything would be better.

The lack of enough truly good broadcasters is a weakness not just in the women's game but across the board. The young guns all talk too much. Many don't do their homework yet still bring opinions with them which are too often wrong. Part of this is due to so many games now being on the air that it's necessary to go really deep into the announcer pool. For the women, it's because sportscasting is still a relatively new thing; hopefully they'll get better.

I love both Rebecca Lobo and Kara Lawson. Mostly studio people now, but whether there or on the court they bring intelligence, research, humor, and professionalism to the sport.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
As time wound down, the game was close to getting out of hand imo...did they allude to this? Geno's expressed frustration, caught on camera, was not mentioned. Hard for me to expound on their virtues when I see stuff they don't.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
I watch all games on mute. Find the announcers a distraction. I believe I know our team as well as most announcers, so I'd rather just look a what's happening w/out interruption. Believe it or not, but you see much more of the details of a game when there's no noise. You might not enjoy this OR you can give it a try. (I do sometimes miss the crowd reactions.) Anyone else trying this?

Most of the games are broadcast on Watch ESPN in my area with a surround sound track that features the crowd and the PA announcer and sometimes the band, depending on their location. I often turn down the front channels sound with the commentators and crank up the surround... it's almost like being there.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I lived in SE Ohio for five years and can attest that Smith's version of English is what we always referred to as "briar." It sounds Southern, a bit Kentucky back woods, and similar. It is more than an accent, though. It is also a mash-up of several grammars that are alternately crude and rather charming.

"Briar." Wow I had never heard that. But I did live in Columbus for a few years and while there I realized that the southern and southeastern parts of the state are culturally akin to Kentucky and Appalachia, more so than what we commonly think of as "Midwest."

Reaction Score
As time wound down, the game was close to getting out of hand imo...did they allude to this? Geno's expressed frustration, caught on camera, was not mentioned. Hard for me to expound on their virtues when I see stuff they don't.

Pretty sure they did. Otherwise, I'm quite sure I wouldn't have noticed. Also they pointed out Geno giving Coach Abe a look. And that UConn with 20 seconds and the game in hand usually just dribbled it out but UCF wasn't letting them.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure they did. Otherwise, I'm quite sure I wouldn't have noticed. Also they pointed out Geno giving Coach Abe a look. And that UConn with 20 seconds and the game in hand usually just dribbled it out but UCF wasn't letting them.

Yep. I remember all of this happening, and the announcers commenting on it. And while they attempted to hide their distaste, it came through loud and clear.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Yep. I remember all of this happening, and the announcers commenting on it. And while they attempted to hide their distaste, it came through loud and clear.

Katie Smith specifically commented on it after the camera showed Geno's obvious "What the hell is that?" gesture.

Was anything about this incident brought up at the postgame presser?

Reaction Score
I've always been careful not to criticize the commentators (unless it's Carolyn Peck). I imagine it must be tough to call a game for UCONN when you know a double digit win is certain.

I would like to hear some of you who critique the commentators and see just how great you are at it!

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Lobo was horrible in the championship game with Bob, just rambles too much. She went waaaaaaay left one time about something that had nothing to do with the game.

Reaction Score
Lobo was horrible in the championship game with Bob, just rambles too much. She went waaaaaaay left one time about something that had nothing to do with the game.
I agree. I kept on wondering what happened to Katie last night. I prefer Rebecca in the studio, even with her insistence every year that uconn can be beat because of their lack of depth , and this year's lack of size. After all of this time does she still have to appease the husky haters ? GEEZ !

Reaction Score
I actually liked Lobo and thought she and Bob went off the rails only once or twice. She also snapped back at Bob (in jest, I am assuming), when he made a point and she said something like, "What are you? My husband?" I know I did not capture it correctly here, but it was not just funny but wonderfully funny because you don't expect it of an announcing team, but here were these two people and there, it was what she said. I am certain no other color commentator would have said it in that way.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I found Katie very refreshing - some interesting insights and very little distraction from the game. I enjoy it when announcers do not feel the need to fill every second with noise, sometime it is enough just to show the picture.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
then they mentioned Butler's lone kneepad... it was a good catch but just silly stuff

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I like them, but Bob's gushing about UConn (even when calling a game UConn isn't playing in) is almost embarrassing. UConn haters must hate him. Most non-UConn fans are probably unaware of his long UConn homer announcer history.
I think most folks with a passing knowledge of UConn know who he is. But regardless, he is a very good announcer, maybe the best word is "professional". And virtually every announcer gushes about UConn these days - as one would expect. Don't really think he is particularly disliked, I don't think he causes the strong feelings that Doris (for example) does.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
"Briar." Wow I had never heard that. But I did live in Columbus for a few years and while there I realized that the southern and southeastern parts of the state are culturally akin to Kentucky and Appalachia, more so than what we commonly think of as "Midwest."
Yes, I would agree from business trips to Dayton, Cinci, Lexington, Louisville, Columbus and (as comparison) Cleveland, Chicago and Indianapolis.

South Jersey has its rather "southern" side, as well.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think most folks with a passing knowledge of UConn know who he is. But regardless, he is a very good announcer, maybe the best word is "professional". And virtually every announcer gushes about UConn these days - as one would expect. Don't really think he is particularly disliked, I don't think he causes the strong feelings that Doris (for example) does.
Doris is more "National" than Bob is to us in Connecticut. We had Bob locally on CPTV for years before UConn joined SNY... so it becomes nauseating when he talks about the "numbers".
So everyone gets to hear Doris's bias lol

Reaction Score
I do not agree. I'm sorry Doris bothers you but I think she's exceptional.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I do not agree. I'm sorry Doris bothers you but I think she's exceptional.
It's no accident that Doris also works tons of MCBB and NBA games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom