Katie Smith and Bob Picozzi | The Boneyard

Katie Smith and Bob Picozzi

Reaction Score
I agree there was no fluff, but I sort of felt there was very little of anything else. She needs a dose of uppers so she can react a little more quickly when there's something to say, and so she can put at least a little oomph into what she says.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
yeah, a little bland and non-commital...agree with the cat.
Hope she doesn't coach like that.

Reaction Score
I watch all games on mute. Find the announcers a distraction. I believe I know our team as well as most announcers, so I'd rather just look a what's happening w/out interruption. Believe it or not, but you see much more of the details of a game when there's no noise. You might not enjoy this OR you can give it a try. (I do sometimes miss the crowd reactions.) Anyone else trying this?

Reaction Score
What a pleasure. Insightful commentary. Astute play by play. Particularly enjoy Katie's blue-collar insight.

Very little fluff on someone's 2d cousin as former USFL long snapper.
I agree. She is very good. A pleasure to listen to.

Reaction Score
There was a time during the Tulsa game that the announcers sound cut out but the arena sounds were still there, I wish that was an option all the time.

Reaction Score
When the broadcasts are in synch, I will watch ESPN, but listen to the WTIC announcers on the radio, especially to avoid Beth Mowins. But tonight, I liked Katie and Bob.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I find Katie Smith's accent very interesting. I would have said she's from an inner city, possibly in the South, but she grew up in rural Ohio. I wonder if (like me) she picked up a little of her accent as an adult.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I find Katie Smith's accent very interesting. I would have said she's from an inner city, possibly in the South, but she grew up in rural Ohio. I wonder if (like me) she picked up a little of her accent as an adult.
Katie does have a bit of an accent along with a lack of articulation. I think she sounds very "country."

Reaction Score
I like them, but Bob's gushing about UConn (even when calling a game UConn isn't playing in) is almost embarrassing. UConn haters must hate him. Most non-UConn fans are probably unaware of his long UConn homer announcer history.

Reaction Score
I like them, but Bob's gushing about UConn (even when calling a game UConn isn't playing in) is almost embarrassing. UConn haters must hate him. Most non-UConn fans are probably unaware of his long UConn homer announcer history.
I agree. I finally had to turn the sound off because I couldn't take his seemingly endless stream of UConn trivia.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
lolcat_what.jpg

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Bob was refreshing... but he still comes with all those old numbers. Katie knows the game and speaks from great experience. It would be nice if she'd said Collier name correctly

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
What was bad though was
1. UConn is only losing 1 player, Soniya Chong and has two transfer players and a top class coming in
2. Atthe end of the game when Bob said " UConn is emptying the bench, well almost, they only have 9 players",

Umm, no Bob, UConn has 2 players graduating- Tierney and Soniya AND we have 10 players so you know, all 5 starters can actually come out of the game at the same time. Which for a full time observer of the games are two fairly bad oversights.

Look his has a great career and he's a Connecticut broadcasting icon but people here on this sight need to be measured in their assessment and realize that his skills have deteriorated (as all of ours have as we get older).

Reaction Score

That's what parts of rural Ohio sounds like. I think she's actually cleaned it up over the years.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
That's what parts of rural Ohio sounds like. I think she's actually cleaned it up over the years.

I lived in SE Ohio for five years and can attest that Smith's version of English is what we always referred to as "briar." It sounds Southern, a bit Kentucky back woods, and similar. It is more than an accent, though. It is also a mash-up of several grammars that are alternately crude and rather charming.

Reaction Score

See that is why I go to this site, so I can find out which announcer is good or which is bad. Basketball what's that.

Reaction Score
Bob is a pro, and thats the first time I have heard Katie Smith. Katie does know basketball..I think she sounded a like she was talking with an ebonic accent...similar to actor Michael Rappaport

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom