Katie Lou Samuelson | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Katie Lou Samuelson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Broadway - absolute truth that GA & CD will decide starters, sub rotation, minutes, all of it. That's why they get the big bucks now isn't it/ If only they would pay us instead. HAHA!
Bill---I, back a few years, emailed Geno on a regular basis and advised him on everything, except making money. He was extremely successful because of those suggestions--he read them carefully and did the opposite or ignored them. So I must be responsible for his success. He recruited better than I suggested---not a Miles among them. (oh he was a guy)

Reaction Score
Bill---I, back a few years, emailed Geno on a regular basis and advised him on everything, except making money. He was extremely successful because of those suggestions--he read them carefully and did the opposite or ignored them. So I must be responsible for his success. He recruited better than I suggested---not a Miles among them. (oh he was a guy)

d241520e5178ed4901cc7efbaea616645c639b64ffef99a7380eb5c51e0adb7e.jpg

Reaction Score
Neither is Butler, so in essence the team would face the very problem you are concerned about when she in the game too except Gabby is quick enough to drive around players. Somehow I don't think this is going to be an issue.

He may choose to do those same things this year as well. I wouldn't, but at the very least the recruited players should be in the game, imo. As for last year, if he sits his starters, for instance, there is at least one spot automatically open on the floor for a walk-on. This year, there isn't.

It's not a BIG deal, but I would play the scholarship players first. As I've said before, they really weren't brought in to play. They were brought in to help in practice, maybe to fill in at the end of games because the roster stood at eight. Circumstances have changed. You're right that I brought up ND earlier. When was the last time they played walk-ons?

Reaction Score
I would think people could see that is referring to scholarship players. The walk-ons were not brought on because UConn needed more players during games. They were added because UConn was short of practice players. No need to parse things and get upset over nothing.

Slu -Hoop -Broadway and calling all BY posters - TOPIC - walk-ons; playing time, respect, etc. After a survey of college students and grad students (and my own view) here is a strong perspective. Alabama football, North Carolina women's soccer, Stanford tennis, & UConn WBB--or any top dogs in the NCAA. AD IN COLLEGE PAPER - We are looking for only two regular college students (who played in HS) who want to hang out with the players, go on trips around the country (maybe foreign countries too), probably win championships, get rings, pad the resume of being on the roster/championship team, get special meals/food/snack bar, special workout rooms, and you get to play pick-up & or practice the game you enjoy. Only two walk-ons get to have this "out of the world experience" with all the perks mentioned above. Please note-- "walk-on competitors"-- that "game time" is not listed. Play time will probably be NONE or a minute every other game. OUTCOME - you would have quite a few students who would feel like the luckiest person on campus if they were selected. From the unofficial survey, almost all say "I'll take the unbelievable experience and the perks and I'll deal with the NO PLAYING time.
To solidify the point, think of the MALE practice players. They get some of the perks--practice, pick-up games, & resume--but no ring, no travel, no championships, etc. Those guys are still feeling lucky and fortunate to be a small part of the success.
I love sports and rather play than watch on TV, but I would take the walk-on position (with all those benefits) (& I wasn't playing the game anyway) and give up playing/ game time.
And everyone knows how lucky the walk-ons are and everyone respects the role the walk-ons play. In this scenario, Playing time is dead last on the priority list. Geno/CD are just good people and give the walk-ons a taste anyway (and the crowd loves it.)

Reaction Score
As a spectator of basketball, few things are more pleasing than seeing the players on the bench go nuts in celebration when a walk-on or little-used player does something notable on the court.

They know how hard the end of the bench players work every day and seem to love having them as teammates.

Reaction Score
As a spectator of basketball, few things are more pleasing than seeing the players on the bench go nuts in celebration when a walk-on or little-used player does something notable on the court.
I think that is a Uconn Tradition---also Geno and Christine expect those on the bench star or not to give those working hard a real cheer.
Fan's love the walkons (in this case non-recruited) players and I believe the assumption that the Starting 5,7,9 really and truly like the non-recruited and their effort. (they are Non-Recruited aren't they scholarship or getting one??

Reaction Score
Slu -Hoop -Broadway and calling all BY posters - TOPIC - walk-ons; playing time, respect, etc. After a survey of college students and grad students (and my own view) here is a strong perspective. Alabama football, North Carolina women's soccer, Stanford tennis, & UConn WBB--or any top dogs in the NCAA. AD IN COLLEGE PAPER - We are looking for only two regular college students (who played in HS) who want to hang out with the players, go on trips around the country (maybe foreign countries too), probably win championships, get rings, pad the resume of being on the roster/championship team, get special meals/food/snack bar, special workout rooms, and you get to play pick-up & or practice the game you enjoy. Only two walk-ons get to have this "out of the world experience" with all the perks mentioned above. Please note-- "walk-on competitors"-- that "game time" is not listed. Play time will probably be NONE or a minute every other game. OUTCOME - you would have quite a few students who would feel like the luckiest person on campus if they were selected. From the unofficial survey, almost all say "I'll take the unbelievable experience and the perks and I'll deal with the NO PLAYING time.
To solidify the point, think of the MALE practice players. They get some of the perks--practice, pick-up games, & resume--but no ring, no travel, no championships, etc. Those guys are still feeling lucky and fortunate to be a small part of the success.
I love sports and rather play than watch on TV, but I would take the walk-on position (with all those benefits) (& I wasn't playing the game anyway) and give up playing/ game time.
And everyone knows how lucky the walk-ons are and everyone respects the role the walk-ons play. In this scenario, Playing time is dead last on the priority list. Geno/CD are just good people and give the walk-ons a taste anyway (and the crowd loves it.)

Coach-- l too love or loved playing BB-- Jame A Naismith was/is a hero of mine. Ct. High School Coaches, and many college BB coaches I followed like a religion. These (I call them non-recruited) kids, in my opinion, are the two luckiest kids on campus. Others see Jefferson, Stewies, Morgan, Kia, Saniya, Courtney, Gabby, now KLS, Collier, Boykin at a distance or in a rare class or two--but these kids see them as FRIENDS!! How great can that be??

Reaction Score
I especially remember Heather Buck, making the steal and driving the length of the court for a basket with about 1:30 left in the Louisville title game and the bench erupting. Buck had given all she had for five years (pretty sure she had a red shirt med year) and her team mates recognoed her contributions. Something special.

Reaction Score
Heated????????????????????????????????

What made you think these were heated???????????

Previously I even thanked slu -- he and I have disagreed over time a bit and it NEVER NEVER became "heated." What made you think this was "heated?"

I'm more "heated" with your comment (I'm not heated - just having fun with you) than at any point during all of my back-and-forths with slu.
I wasn't speaking of anyone or two in particular --just a general comment about a subject that can ONLY BE opinion related. Regardless of how we pick and choose--Geno has the last laugh.

What I appreciated very much is that you actually read the ____ I post. It is nice to know you afflicted--affected someone with my nonsense words. But it is fun posting something that doesn't have a feathers chance in H----of influencing Geno , just for the fun of it.
Geno claims he does not read this stuff, but someone on his staff does because once in a while he will comment on what someone says but not admit where he came from.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I especially remember Heather Buck, making the steal and driving the length of the court for a basket with about 1:30 left in the Louisville title game and the bench erupting. Buck had given all she had for five years (pretty sure she had a red shirt med year) and her team mates recognoed her contributions. Something special.

Say what?

Reaction Score

That too is locked into my memory with fondness. It couldn't have happened to a nicer lady or at a more appropriate time. Good call!!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Yup. The best example of this I can think of. It's why I added "little-used" to my post. I didn't want the point to be solely about walk-ons.

Reaction Score
Hey all!! Although I have been reading this board for a while, this is my first post. I wanted to respond to some of your comments.

I believe Gabby's future is nothing but bright!! You guys haven't mentioned that Geno changed her position so of course, she was going to have some struggles. She is also coming off I believe 2 acl tears.

As for Courtney, I am in no way comparing her to Farris, but to say couldn't be as good is unfair. How many of you thought Farris was going to be as good as she became when she first came to Uconn?

Reaction Score
Hey all!! Although I have been reading this board for a while, this is my first post. I wanted to respond to some of your comments.

I believe Gabby's future is nothing but bright!! You guys haven't mentioned that Geno changed her position so of course, she was going to have some struggles. She is also coming off I believe 2 acl tears. This had been discussed many times in previous threads.
As for Courtney, I am in no way comparing her to Farris, but to say couldn't be as good is unfair. How many of you thought Farris was going to be as good as she became when she first came to Uconn?
Good point.

Not much to disagree with in your posting. I would like to wait until pre season ends and exhibition time starts and see what emphasis Geno, the only opinion that matters, before I anoint anyone or darn anyone. Comment not directed at any thing you say, just my hopes that all fans know we don't know diddly, at this point, about how these KIDS are doing.
I would love, much like you do, to see both Gabby and Courtney have as good a career as possible--regardless of being a super star or not.

Reaction Score

I believe Gabby's future is nothing but bright!! You guys haven't mentioned that Geno changed her position so of course, she was going to have some struggles. She is also coming off I believe 2 acl tears.

I have no idea how good Courtney will become. Let's not forget though that Geno said Kelly was the best athlete on the team!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom