Katie Lou responds to benching | The Boneyard

Katie Lou responds to benching

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Frankly I find it disturbing that KLS had to take a wake up call. Would have thought that unnecessary.

Reaction Score
Who is Frankly? Actually this is Genos M.O. He knows what he's doing.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
That is really surprising considering she is a returner and is expected by many to be the go-to player this season. Something tells me that this is bad news for FSU.

Reaction Score
Frankly I find it disturbing that KLS had to take a wake up call. Would have thought that unnecessary.

eh, we have no idea how necessary it was to bench her. Geno is just doing things to motivate his players. And this is not just a motivator for Lou, but the rest of them. If he is willing to bench one of his best players, he is willing to bench anyone. It's been awhile since he sat Breanna and Morgan for a game, so it was time to show the the players again.... play(and pratice) the UConn way or don't play.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Tuck and Stewart got benched in a live game as juniors I believe so it isn't that surprising that a 'little' nudge was delivered in a preseason game for a sophomore.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Exactly. How disturbed were you when Stewie and Tuck sat? I think it's great that Geno sat her. Expectations and reality check time....

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Exactly. How disturbed were you when Stewie and Tuck sat? I think it's great that Geno sat her. Expectations and reality check time....

And that was just before the then-forthcoming South Carolina game. Tonight is a big game as well, obviously.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Tuck and Stewart got benched in a live game as juniors I believe so it isn't that surprising that a 'little' nudge was delivered in a preseason game for a sophomore.
You beat me to it. I was going to reply to the exact same thing.

Just wanted to add how much I adore KLS. She was frank in her assessment of her own play, acknowledged that she "needed" a little boot in the behind, metaphorically speaking, and realized that Geno sets high expectations for her because her team needs it, and because she can do it. 2 totally positive interviews and it shows not only why Geno is the best, but how important recruiting the "right" kind of players who understand what he's trying to do both for them, and for the team. He will NOT let her cheat her talents - something a LOT of other college coaches do when they have super stars.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be too worried about Lou's continued commitment to excellence. The California Kid doesn't lack for confidence. Geno picked on her as an example to some others who might not be so self-confident. Now, when he rips into them, they'll be able to say to themselves that they're just getting the same treatment as had Lou.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
And that was just before the then-forthcoming South Carolina game. Tonight is a big game as well, obviously.

Lou should understand:

"It's nothing personal. Strictly business." ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lou should understand:

"It's nothing personal. Strictly business." ;)
Always has surprised me that as articulate as Geno is that he often has to resort to benching some of his best players as "motivators."

Reaction Score

He benched those two five minutes into a game. He benched Lou at the beginning of one.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Always has surprised me that as articulate as Geno is that he often has to resort to benching some of his best players as "motivators."

When a good player (e.g. Stewie, Lou) is temporarily benched, that's when the Geno-Chris tandem segue into the old reliable "good cop-bad cop" routine. It may be primitive but it sure works.;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
eh, we have no idea how necessary it was to bench her.

"Psst, Lou I'm sitting you for the first half tonight, but it's nothing you did, okay. I'm just wanting to let the rest of them have a lesson in motivation. It'll just be our little secret. ;)" I don't think so. Being in the dog house before the season starts really takes work! She's so essential to this team's success that Geno is not going to tolerate any Calif. Girl antics out of Lou.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Getting benched is one thing. Having to explain to media why is something else. I am nor sure what level of athlete has to do that.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score

Sometimes actions speak louder than words.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Muffet McGraw benched Marina Mabrey for the start of the Central Michigan game saying at the post-game presser, "she wasn't ready." After 4 minutes, she put MM in and she had a typical Mabrey game: 17 pts., 5 assists, 4 steals. We'll see what happens at the start of the Fordham game tonight. (I'm sure MM will look "ready" during warm-ups this time around.)

hmmm....I just realized that Coach Muffet and Marina Mabrey are double M's so I'll have to watch that going forward. With her sister, we could just go MM1 and MM2. Not the case here...;)

p.s. On the UConn front, I'm sure Geno has caught KLS' attention......

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Getting benched is one thing. Having to explain to media why is something else. I am nor sure what level of athlete has to do that.
A UCONN level athlete... especially one who is a budding superstar... A #1 high school recruit who came in with all kinds of goals for herself and her team, as well as expectations from the coaches.

Reaction Score
It doesn't appear that the wake up call worked all that well. KLS looked like she was sleep walking through much of the FSU game. She needs to stop hanging out on the 3 point line and get in there and do some of the dirty work!!!!! Rebound rebound rebound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom