Katie Lou is Vandy’s New Director of Player Development | The Boneyard

Katie Lou is Vandy’s New Director of Player Development

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am delighted to hear that Katy Lou joined up with Shea to help make Vandy a successful women's basketball program. I am sure that she will succeed and help to lay the foundation to a fruitful coaching career.

Reaction Score
Not sure how the duties will be assigned, but Kyla seems happy about it. I hope so. She is a bright light in the program. I'm extremely excited about Katie Lou coming onboard, especially the "on campus recruiting" part of her duties.

sun

Reaction Score
It could be the start of a trend to help WNBA players remain stateside during the offseason by giving them an opportunity to make some money as recruiters.
Can't help but wait to see if UConn does the same thing with some of the other famous UConn alumi to help with recruiting.
I imagine that a school can employ more than one famous WNBA player at a time depending on the pay scale.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wonder what exactly "player develpment" means for a non-coaching position, and the same for assisting with game preparation in a non-coaching position. I don't think it's scouting since the assistants scout opponents.

There are so many of these type positions nowadays where, when I really think about it, I have no real idea what they do. Whatever it is, I'm stoked. I have always admired Katie Lou and can't think of a single negative having her part of the program unless it somehow negatively affects Kyle Irwin. I don't believe that will be the case, though. Shea loves Kyla, and she was one of the first people she went after when she got the job.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
The role per the article states

“As director of player development, Samuelson will assist the women’s basketball staff in a non-coaching capacity in all areas of the program, including game preparation, player development and on-campus recruiting.”

Reaction Score
It could be the start of a trend to help WNBA players remain stateside during the offseason by giving them an opportunity to make some money as recruiters.
Can't help but wait to see if UConn does the same thing with some of the other famous UConn alumi to help with recruiting.
I imagine that a school can employ more than one famous WNBA player at a time depending on the pay scale.
I had predicted to a close friend who's also a Huskies fan that Katie Lou would surprise people by playing in the WNBA for six or seven years, then turn to coaching. She's approaching her fifth year in the W, and, as veryolddog said above, it perhaps lays a foundation for a KLS coaching career.

As a Wake guy, I'm envious neighboring Vandy has such a strong UConn vibe going. I wish Katie Lou success there, and hope Shea, Kyla and she can make it happen at Vandy.

Reaction Score
Kyla is filling in as assistant coach while one is out on medical leave. Possibly that coach isn’t returning?
That was Ashley Earley. She was only out for about a month and has been back with the team for a while. Kyle resumed her normal duties.

sun

Reaction Score
Isn't that Kyla's current position?
According to a Yahoo article that reprints the Nashville Tennessean:

Samuelson's former teammate at UConn, Kyla Irwin, previously served as the director of community relations and player development, but Samuelson's hire will allow Irwin to focus on community relations, according to a program spokesperson.

Reaction Score
Hello, Katie Lou, goodbye heart!!
Back in 2017, I saw her playing and was astounded at her intensity, energy and plain old smarts.
Been watching the Huskies ever since.
Good luck to her and Vandy!
Except against UCONN

Reaction Score
Congratulation Katie Lou. When you played the 4 years you were at UCONN, you were my favorite player, hands down. I;ve watched your game against USF when you hit 10 3's without a miss more than 20 times.At that time I wanted Geno to leave you in the game to set a new record for points at UCONN. Much to my regret he did not. Wishing you all the luck in the world at this new job and hope you do go into coaching. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
“As director of player development, Samuelson will assist the women’s basketball staff in a non-coaching capacity in all areas of the program, including game preparation, player development and on-campus recruiting.”

I think this statement contradicts itself somewhat. :rolleyes: If Katie Lou is going to be involved in game preparation and player development, that sounds like coaching to me. Since she was knee high to a grasshopper, I always thought she was going to be a star (maybe a big star) in the WNBA. Unfortunately, that just didn't happen for one reason or another. Anyway, I hope this is a good move and wish her nothing but success.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Another move to make Vanderbilt UConn South.

Congrats to Lou! I’m sure she and Kyla are pumped to be reunited!

Congrats to Katie Lou. She's got her foot in the door. I think we all know what this will lead to down the road after her playing days are over........................:rolleyes: I have a feeling Katie Lou will be involved in organized basketball in some capacity for a long long time. :)

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Congratulation Katie Lou. When you played the 4 years you were at UCONN, you were my favorite player, hands down. I;ve watched your game against USF when you hit 10 3's without a miss more than 20 times.At that time I wanted Geno to leave you in the game to set a new record for points at UCONN. Much to my regret he did not. Wishing you all the luck in the world at this new job and hope you do go into coaching. GO HUSKIES!!!
Me too. :(

Carnac

Reaction Score
The role per the article states

“As director of player development, Samuelson will assist the women’s basketball staff in a non-coaching capacity in all areas of the program, including game preparation, player development and on-campus recruiting.”........................leading to an assistant coaching position down the road. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom