Katie Lou — Record Breaker | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Katie Lou — Record Breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Abstracting away from her three-point shooting for a moment: Can you imagine her developing a post-up game including a baby hook? Things could get ugly.
All I know is that this gal from California is getting better by the moment and we're pretty lucky to have her. I know that this is the Samuelson Tara wishes had followed her sisters to Stanford because they'd be a lot more imposing with KLS playing out there. I do think she made the right decision in coming here. By the way, I'm sure Geno has shown KLS some love from time to time and some of his remarks, like those regarding her performance at Maryland while physically ill, are a testament to his respect for her gumption and fortitude.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Man, KLS is so blessed, and we're so blessed to have her. Now, I doubt anyone has forgotten Kaleena, but if you have somehow, just watch the last moments of the 2015 NC game. Pure, unadulterated, cold-blooded championship lockdown, it was.

Here's to you, KML...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Based on 44 treys made in 13 games this season, KLS would have 128.6 treys assuming the Huskies advance to the Final Four and play 38 games. If that followed up for the following two seasons as well, she'd end up with 462 for her career. That would surpass KML by 64 treys. I'm not suggesting that will happen but it's sure in the realm of possibility and it gives Katie Lou a big buffer to break the UConn mark, don't you think????
Which is about the difference between KML's total in her injury/illness junior year and her totals in the years on either side.

i am actually more interested in what sort of percentages Lou will put up this year and in future years - I think she has the form to challenge Sue and Moriah at 50% from three, and Sue for the career percentage mark.

Never felt the raw numbers on three were that important vs. the efficiency.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kaleena missed 12 games, 30%, in her junior year due to an arm injury. She also had a concussion in her senior year.
Yeah, Kaleena could have had 425 or more, instead of 398. I think Lou has a shot at 400 if she stays healthy--or plays well when sick, as at Maryland.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Man, KLS is so blessed, and we're so blessed to have her. Now, I doubt anyone has forgotten Kaleena, but if you have somehow, just watch the last moments of the 2015 NC game. Pure, unadulterated, cold-blooded championship lockdown, it was.

Here's to you, KML...
K had the perfect ball rotation. No one of either gender was better.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Abstracting away from her three-point shooting for a moment: Can you imagine her developing a post-up game including a baby hook? Things could get ugly.
My task for Lou this past summer was to develop a Stewie jump hook. I guess mental telepathy didn't get the message across, but I think it would be a great addition to Lou's repertoire.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
My task for Lou this past summer was to develop a Stewie jump hook. I guess mental telepathy didn't get the message across, but I think it would be a great addition to Lou's repertoire.
We can give her a pass 'cause of the broken foot. But next summer . . .

Reaction Score
If KLS doesn't break KML's 3 pt record it won't be because she couldn't. KLS has transformed her game this year.Last year she shot 2/3 of her attempts from 3 point land. This year she only attempts half her shots from there. By contrast, KML took nearly 60% of her shots from 3 point land in her last two years. KML, IMO, did not have the offensive versatility that KLS has and thus relied more on the 3 pointer. KLS's game will continue to evolve over the next couple of years and I suspect that will result in more points in the paint and and pull up jumpers. She is starting to remind me more and more of Larry Bird.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kaleena's presence on the floor opened things up for Stef, Stewie, Morgan, and Moriah. She was the primary concern for opposing defenses in most games. K did develop other shots and improved as a defender over her career. I miss Kaleena.

Reaction Score
I absolutely love KML... and felt that she was never given the proper respect she deserved because she played with Stewie for three years... In her sophomore year (the first of four national titles) UCONN would not have had that win without KML....

That being said... her Junior season due to the injury.... really messed up what could have been an even more impressive career. She would have been higher on the scoring chart, would have had over 400 3's...

She was impressive...

But KLS has a chance to surpass KML's record...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I absolutely love KML... and felt that she was never given the proper respect she deserved because she played with Stewie for three years... In her sophomore year (the first of four national titles) UCONN would not have had that win without KML....

That being said... her Junior season due to the injury.... really messed up what could have been an even more impressive career. She would have been higher on the scoring chart, would have had over 400 3's...

She was impressive...

But KLS has a chance to surpass KML's record...
Kaleena was an All-American as a sophomore and senior. I have no doubt that she would have been a 3x All-American if not for her injury. She led the team in scoring her first 2 seasons--surpassing Tiffany and Stewie, respectively.

Reaction Score
I think we may be on the verge of seeing the breakout of the next truly great WCBB player. KLS has changed very much this year, especially in the last 5 or 6 games. And Maryland was the clearest example. No more standing at the 3 point line - she was the leading rebounder, and several were near the basket. She has been more than willing to mix it up recently, and the mean streak Geno wants to see was typified by liberal use of her forearm when warranted.
But I suspect the one thing everyone remembers from the Maryland game is the made three when she got knocked on her behind and came up pumping her arm and growling. And when she got up she was grinning from ear to ear. Then made the foul shot. And she did it all over again a while later.
I have not often seen much comparison between KLS and Stewie yet, but maybe it's time. She's an inch shorter but has the same body type. Commentators couldn't stop talking about Stewie's "wing span" last year, but I wonder if anyone has put a tape on KLS. yet. It took Stewart a while to really get rolling and I think we're seeing that happen now with Katie Lou.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think Lou is sort of a mix between Maya and Stewart and does not match either in sheer athleticism or freakish physique. She has really good hands and is very good with either on the drive - that shot she made with her left while falling to the ground was pretty amazing - don't know why no foul was called. She had those skills in HS and for USA basketball, but became famous for her three point shooting and no one bothered to look at the rest of her game. And last year the needs of the team were more replicating the KML spot up shooting than really developing the rest of her game.

I believe Lou's arms are more proportional to her height than Stewart's so I suspect her wingspan is 4-8 inches shorter than Stewarts, and I don't think she gets quite the same elevation. But she does have a quicker release and a better shot. At this stage I think she is a better passer and ball handler than Stewart as a sophomore.

I think Lou is a fabulous player already and she has the chance to become exceptional, just not quite as impactful as Stewart or EDD because she comes in a more standard size package. I think whether she breaks KML's record or not, she will end up as a better college and pro player, for the same reasons - she is blessed with better physical tools than KML.

Reaction Score
If KLS doesn't break KML's 3 pt record it won't be because she couldn't. KLS has transformed her game this year.Last year she shot 2/3 of her attempts from 3 point land. This year she only attempts half her shots from there. By contrast, KML took nearly 60% of her shots from 3 point land in her last two years. KML, IMO, did not have the offensive versatility that KLS has and thus relied more on the 3 pointer. KLS's game will continue to evolve over the next couple of years and I suspect that will result in more points in the paint and and pull up jumpers. She is starting to remind me more and more of Larry Bird.
Agree. KLS likely to use her height and emerging driving skills to take more close in shots. KML had two years of lesser production due to injury. Good blog conversation but relatively meaningless in the whole scheme of things.

Reaction Score
Katie Lou does not set up faster and Kaleena had a quicker release. By the way, Katie Lou is amazing.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Kaleena missed 12 games, 30%, in her junior year due to an arm injury. She also had a concussion in her senior year.
She had missed some games before she hurt her arm because she had mono....

Reaction Score
KML was a fabulous player for UConn but I believe that KLS has more variety to her offensive game and will end a better player both in college and in the pros

Reaction Score
You heard it here first. Katie Lou will leave UConn with the record for the most threes made. I know, I know, some of you don't want to hear that...Why will Lou surpass KML? Because she sets up faster and has a faster release, and she has two and a half more years to ply her trade with much more confidence than her first year and a half. It's a fait accompli.

Samuelson may well end her UConn career with more 3's than Kaleena, but not because she sets up faster and has a faster release. Kaleena, Maya Moore and Taurasi had much faster releases than Samuelson and I could name several others as well, e.g. Montgomery, Abrosimova. Lou has this little move she does to set her feet after she catches that slows her down a little...from a purely technical standpoint her release is also way too low, but at this point I don't think anyone wants to try to fix it if she's going to shoot close to 50%. If you want to model a perfect setup and release it has to be Mosqueda-Lewis...best I've ever seen on a woman.

Having said that I agree that Lou has a very good shot to break the UConn record, in part because of the time Kaleena missed her junior year.

Reaction Score
I will disagree with that. I think it depends on the circumstances, ie is a pass straight on, from the side, off the dribble, curl etc She shoots the ball depending on the circumstances off either foot, turning to get a quick release if at end of shot clock, a quick step like Kobe used to and she has incredible range. Her mid range to me is picture perfect as she is in elevation and high release before anyone can react.

Reaction Score
She does have the mini hook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog