Kara's All American List as of Today. | The Boneyard

Kara's All American List as of Today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
It's a good list, and Kara reminds us how smart she is by opening with "If season ended today. . ." This caveat makes it possible for someone (like Kaleena) to join the mix should anyone on the cusp falter.

And who am I to argue with Kara? I have often expressed my view that she's the best analyst -- no sense in taking that back now.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Like Kib said " if the season ended today"....hard to argue with Kara's list. But she does have some wiggle room....

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Yeah, I guess not bad, but would it be tacky of me to note that Kara who was never very high up on any list that included the word "assist" does not include any players whose name appears among the nation's top 75 in assists per game average? Yeah, I guess tacky.

Definitely weighted toward SGs among the guards, though Sims, Hartley, and Schimmel are at least in a decent 4.5-5.0 region for assists. But Kara is good as always.

Reaction Score
Somebody will get this list to Geno before Sunday's game and KML will hear Geno in her ear from now until March...........Go KML!!

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
Yeah, I guess not bad, but would it be tacky of me to note that Kara who was never very high up on any list that included the word "assist" does not include any players whose name appears among the nation's top 75 in assists per game average? Yeah, I guess tacky.

Definitely weighted toward SGs among the guards, though Sims, Hartley, and Schimmel are at least in a decent 4.5-5.0 region for assists. But Kara is good as always.
OK, you set up this question and I'm dumb enough to fall for it. Which guards who are in the top 75 assisters (of the poor?) are you touting for All American and which of Kara's guards are you throwing out?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Somebody will get this list to Geno before Sunday's game and KML will hear Geno in her ear from now until March......Go KML!!

If the list gets to Geno, he will ignore it. The last thing he would do is to use it as a tool to motivate Kaleena. He has never criticized her motivation and won't start now.

Reaction Score
An excellent list. KML hasn't earned it yet; recovering from her injury.

HGN

Reaction Score
I think its a good, and impartial list as well.............Note that she did not include any LV's. Some might could have argued for Simmons. But Not.

By the end of the year a lot of landscape will have shifted.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Kara Lawson Verified account
@karalawson20
If season ended today, my AA's would be Stewart, Hartley, Dolson, McBride, Loyd, Ogwumike, Sims, Thomas, Liston, Schimmel.

Not a bad list even though it excludes Kaleena. Don't know who you eliminate to add Kaleena. I guess my choice would be Schimmel.

KML isn't having an All-American season. There are several others this year who are more deserving than KML at this point, including Jefferson.

Reaction Score
Kara Lawson Verified account
@karalawson20
If season ended today, my AA's would be Stewart, Hartley, Dolson, McBride, Loyd, Ogwumike, Sims, Thomas, Liston, Schimmel.

Not a bad list even though it excludes Kaleena. Don't know who you eliminate to add Kaleena. I guess my choice would be Schimmel.
Seems to be based only on points scored. Who's the point guard; i.e. the quarterback?

Reaction Score
Seems to be based only on points scored. Who's the point guard; i.e. the quarterback?
Both Sims and Hartley are on the watch list for the Lieberman award, so one of them could play the point guard position.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Kara is probably the best analyst for WCBB. I think it's a fair list based on the season today.

And being biased - Bria, Stef and Stewie deserve it. KML is just starting to bounce back from her elbow injury so I'm not surprised Kara didn't name her.

KML needs no motivation. She wants another ring!

Reaction Score
kARA lAWSON - Next UTenn coach. I wonder if she'd accept if offered?

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I also think KML is one of the most unselfish players in the game right now. She needs no accolades. She just wants team success and that ring at the end of the season. Although, if she hadn't been injured would probably, and deservedly so, be on this list.

Also, it's great to see a surprise name on this list that being Liston. Not that she doesn't deserve it but no one would of had her near this list at the beginning of the season.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
OK, you set up this question and I'm dumb enough to fall for it. Which guards who are in the top 75 assisters (of the poor?) are you touting for All American and which of Kara's guards are you throwing out?
Um, hb, as a UConn fan who has been constantly admiring a certain Husky player who is in charge of running the nation's top offensive machine, who else can I see through my blue-tinted glasses than our Jetster. Personally I don't like eliminating guards because that just leads to prison breaks and terrorist actions, though unless Kara said something really incendiary, I'm not sure why she needs four guards around her.

But if you are choosing members of an All American football team, you don't choose 11 quarterbacks, and it seems to me that point guards should be represented on a BB team even if it's the SGs who pile up the points. Or let me throw a question back to you, who of the other three guards in the list would you rather have as a back court mate for Bria?

Last edited:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Both Sims and Hartley are on the watch list for the Lieberman award, so one of them could play the point guard position.
Sure they can play it, as probably could Schimmel or McBride a bit, but that still doesn't make them PGs just like a football RB who catches a lot of passes still isn't a WR.

Reaction Score
Sure they can play it, as probably could Schimmel or McBride a bit, but that still doesn't make them PGs just like a football RB who catches a lot of passes still isn't a WR.
That was my point exactly.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
If the list gets to Geno, he will ignore it. The last thing he would do is to use it as a tool to motivate Kaleena. He has never criticized her motivation and won't start now.

True, that.

Reaction Score
I understand your position, but if we go by your criteria, then Sims and Hartley should not be eligible for the Liberman award as that is supposed to be for the nation's best point guard. I think a lot of teams use combo guards rather than pure point guards - not that that is always a good thing. I don't believe AA teams require that one of the guards has to be a pure point and one a shooting guard.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
Um, hb, as a UConn fan who has been constantly admiring a certain Husky player who is in charge of running the nation's top offensive machine, who else can I see through my blue-tinted glasses than our Jetster. Personally I don't like eliminating guards because that just leads to prison breaks and terrorist actions, though unless Kara said something really incendiary, I'm not sure why she needs four guards around her.

But if you are choosing members of an All American football team, you don't choose 11 quarterbacks, and it seems to me that point guards should be represented on a BB team even if it's the SGs who pile up the points. Or let me throw a question back to you, who of the other three guards in the list would you rather have as a back court mate for Bria?
To answer your specific question, I'd rather have Sims partnering with Bria this year.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
To answer your specific question, I'd rather have Sims partnering with Bria this year.
Oooooh, nailed! Okay, let the gnome punting contest begin! C'mon folks, who wants to line up to bend it like Beckham on a guy who just chose for a UConn PG the Lady Bear who's been shooting 33.1% in her last 7 games since being manhandled by the Huskies?

Actually hb, I commend you for your courage to make a pick. And I would agree, because with all of the wild crazy shooting, Sims is at least doing some crazy good assist work. But no, she would not be allowed to shoot 13 for 37 in a game for UConn.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score

husky....In this imaginary scenario, I'd like to have MoJeff w/ Bria, not Sims. Each is very talented, but in different ways. MoJeff gives UConn exactly what they need, great ball handling, no turnovers, great defense, steals, penetration into the lane on occasion, some scoring, etc.... Sims gives a team scoring, scoring and more scoring.... IMO UConn doesn't need Sims' scoring, they need the other things MoJeff does...:)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
On the Sims question - I really wonder why Kim is good with the way Sims is playing, but apparently she is. And if the coach is cool with it, who am I to question. I do not think it is good for Sims stock at the next level, but she has shown through her first three years that she is not a 'selfish' player and that she is capable of playing a very disciplined game. The fact that this year one could define her game as 'selfish' and or 'undisciplined' is an oddity for her 4 year career. She is putting up sick numbers and even with the recent struggles is YTD still quite efficient.
The inclusion of Liston made me go to the Duke site for some stats and I was pleasantly surprised - she is scoring 18.4 at .568/.492 having just dropped below 50% on her 3s and she takes a lot of them (62/126) and 70/80 on FT .875 with 5.7 rebounds/game - pretty impressive.
The one player I would question is Schimmel - she certainly makes Louisville go, but ... Points 17.9 at .412 though more than 50% of her shots are threes at .401. Her assist/turnovers 95/66 or 1.44. I do think there are other guards with better efficiency including Moriah, Orrange, Lister, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom