Karaban is our leader | The Boneyard

Karaban is our leader

Reaction Score
You can see it in the huddle when he's coaching the team along with Hurley
You can see it when he's the guy trying to rope back Newton when he didn't get yet another foul called on his drive
You can see it when he's the (only?) guy making clutch shots
It's great for our future, but says a lot about the current composition of the team.
Sanogo isn't the leader. It's always tough for a center to be one, and being from another country makes it harder
Newton - not a chance
Hawkins - could be but doesn't seem to want to be
Jackson - should be and can be, but losses his composure too much. I absolutely love that he owned it post game, and gives me hope he can self-correct for NCAA

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I am leaning this way also. He seems to be more vocal lately and has been playing well. I’m excited to have him for the next couple of years. Someone else said it also, but he’ll be one of those guys that opposing teams say “damn, he’s still there?!?” in a year or two. Just a smart, smart player.

Reaction Score
He is as much as anyone except AJ but AJ is not a scorer. Also a first year player.

Reaction Score
You can see it when he's the guy trying to rope back Newton when he didn't get yet another foul called on his drive
It's great for our future, but says a lot about the current composition of the team.
Sanogo isn't the leader. It's always tough for a center to be one, and being from another country makes it harder
Newton - not a chance
Jackson - should be and can be, but losses his composure too much. I absolutely love that he owned it post game, and gives me hope he can self-correct for NCAA
Depends on the night.

Reaction Score
He wants to be. I think he has the qualifications to be. We saw that in timeout last night. But I worry about the timing of it.
Sometimes when a "new guy" asserts himself to be a leader without the buy-in from the troops it just doesn't work.
Shabazz if you remember tried it for two years and even declared it to the media but the teammates weren't sure. It took until his senior year for his leadership to work. Once the players bought in, boy did it work well! Might be the best leader in our modern times.
I think Alex has the same desire. And I think in time it will work. But not yet. IMHO.

Reaction Score
Karaban is at that Napier freshman year level. His BBIQ, knowledge of the game, and enthusiasm can't help but leak out. But he's a freshman and there is a lot of talented players in the upper classes, including a generational teammate like Jackson.

The team struggled a bit sophomore year because Napier wanted to be the leader but wasn't respected enough yet. But he was unequivocally the leader junior and senior years.

Karaban will be a true leader at some point. For now, he's the coach on the court.

He wants to be. I think he has the qualifications to be. We saw that in timeout last night. But I worry about the timing of it.
Sometimes when a "new guy" asserts himself to be a leader without the buy-in from the troops it just doesn't work.
Shabazz if you remember tried it for two years and even declared it to the media but the teammates weren't sure. It took until his senior year for his leadership to work. Once the players bought in, boy did it work well! Might be the best leader in our modern times.
I think Alex has the same desire. And I think in time it will work. But not yet. IMHO.
Great minds think alike.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I personally believe that Karaban had the highest basketball IQ on the team from the day he arrived a little more than a year ago. I also believe that he has more emotional maturity than a few of our upper classmen. He will clearly be the leader, more of a quiet, authoritative type but a leader none the less. I cannot wait for his frame to fill out a little bit. He will very difficult for an opponent to deal with when that happens.

Reaction Score
He isn’t the leader, but I have seen over the last couple weeks that he does rally the troops really well, I think the players respect him and his demeanor a lot.

But he doesn’t get enough for himself. He has a great pump fake game but doesn’t utilize it enough, and he has shown to be very good around the rim, but also doesn’t go/get there a lot. Y1 to Y2 will be a big improvement. I think he goes for 15-7-2 or around there next year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
By default? I will say this, he should've gotten both of the last 2 shots if they had to be 3's.
The first of those two possessions was over scripted. Instead of “get a good shot”. They forced it to Hawkins, who wanted nothing to do with taking that shot. Treated the ball like a hot potato. The last possession was a failed version of the first. Sanogo was open inside and they forced it to Hawk instead of taking what was there. OT favored us tremendously. We didn’t need a 3.

Reaction Score
No he isn't. Far too passive on the court for his skill level. Doesn't demand the ball enough.
His biggest flaw, I agree completely. He will add muscle this summer to make that happen I hope.

Reaction Score
No he isn't. Far too passive on the court for his skill level. Doesn't demand the ball enough.
I respect your basketball knowledge so correct me if you think I'm wrong on this observation. Some of Alex's passivity isn't so much him being deferntial, which he is at times, but it's the fact that he needs space to get his shot off. His release is slower and lower than someone like Jordan and he needs his feet set and be squared little better as well. He has not mastered the art of shot creating on his own and creating space where he can get ia shot off effectively. He will surprise you with a few drives to the hoop, but I expect that diversifying his offensive arsenal and learning to create space and quicken his shot will be on the offseason list to work on in the lab. That shot he made before half on the baseline was such an impressive play because he got it off quicker and it was contested.

Reaction Score
I’d like him to demand the ball too, but not many freshman have that in them. Can’t wait to see what he does as an upper classmen.

Reaction Score
I’d like him to demand the ball too, but not many freshman have that in them. Can’t wait to see what he does as an upper classmen.

Agreed, totally normal for a freshman and probably a bit just personality. He's going to terrorize the Big East the next few years. I feel bad in a way.

Reaction Score
I respect your basketball knowledge so correct me if you think I'm wrong on this observation. Some of Alex's passivity isn't so much him being deferntial, which he is at times, but it's the fact that he needs space to get his shot off. His release is slower and lower than someone like Jordan and he needs his feet set and be squared little better as well. He has not mastered the art of shot creating on his own and creating space where he can get ia shot off effectively. He will surprise you with a few drives to the hoop, but I expect that diversifying his offensive arsenal and learning to create space and quicken his shot will be on the offseason list to work on in the lab. That shot he made before half on the baseline was such an impressive play because he got it off quicker and it was contested.

Yes, definitely. Becoming more of a threat to drive the ball will help with getting his shot off too. Right now, 2/3rds of his shot are from deep. If he can change that to 50/50ish with a good off-season developing his driving and finishing, defenders will have to respect that more, and he'll have room to punish people with his 3.

Reaction Score
Guess what I'm saying is he doesn't seem bashful. He has taken a lot of big shots. They are just usually the efficient shots he is good at that he usually takes in the flow of the offense. He doesn't seem to assert further than that at times and he is capable which I think is what you are saying. So yeah, I agree. Lol

Reaction Score
He's a guy who gets his in the flow of the offense. A leader doesn't have to be someone you force-feed the ball to.

Reaction Score
that’s on the staff too. Personally, I would have called a timeout on the last possession and called a play for AK, and sent everyone not the screener to the boards.

At the moment the last play was unfolding I liked the idea of not calling a timeout. Do not let the defense get set, and you can find mismatches better that way. HOWEVER, that was until I saw how the possession played out. Once I saw how it played out, it was obvious we should have called timeout. That last 10 seconds was a perfect example of the greatest flaw in Dan Hurley's coaching combined with the biggest weakness on this current team.

There is no one who is a leader for this team. In addition, it is obvious that no matter how many times they practice end-of-game situations, it is not enough. Because they have not executed a play to get a high percentage shot at the end of a close game yet this year. NOT ONCE. At the end of the 1st half? Yes. So why not at the end of the game? Because we don't have anyone (maybe Karaban eventually, but certainly no one else at this point) who has the "alpha mentality" to take the moment by the throat and go win it.

Why is this also Hurley's fault? Because by now he has to recognize that he doesn't have anyone on this team who seizes these highest stress, make-or-break moments. Which means he must take it upon himself to do it. He has to call timeout there, and draw up a play with several options so we at least get a high-percentage opportunity.

Not understanding this and having a feel for this when so many of the rest of us can see it is really his greatest flaw. Hurley continues to struggle at having a feel for how to handle different scenarios in-game as they are unfolding. If you want to argue this point, I will give you another truly awful decision last night that ended up really hurting us: Start of the 2nd half he put Newton on Kolek. Yes, I understand why... because he wanted to keep AJ from picking up more fouls. But why Newton? Newton has proven he is one of our worst perimeter defenders, and he showed in the game at Marquette that he could not defend Kolek 1-on-1... unfortunately he showed it again last night, and it was a big reason Marquette jumped out to the lead at the beginning of the 2nd half. That was a ridiculously stupid decision, and I said it as soon as I saw it and then then Johnson and Jackson mentioned it on the broadcast.

That is where a feel for the game tells you put Newton on the bench and have Alleyne, a much better defender, start the 2nd half on Kolek. Oh, and on top of that, Alleyne was also already playing better than Newton, who actually played a really poor game on both ends of the floor last night. Hurley has to stop being so inflexible with things like "my 5 starters have to start the 2nd half also!" Why???? Bad decision that put us at a deficit at the beginning of the 2nd half and we were trying to climb out of (but never did) for the rest of the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Said this in fewer words in the Providence postgame thread and was laughed at and told to get a clue.

People seem to think that if you have the most NBA potential that means that you are the one who has to take the shots in crunch time. That is absolutely not the case. I am sure Hawk is a great kid and he’s our best player, but you see over and over again that he’s not comfortable in crunch time. You can’t force that on a guy if he’s not mentally strong enough yet to handle it. Unfortunately it seems like Karaban is THE ONLY one who doesn’t panic in those spots.

I do wonder if this is something, going forward, that there are ways to recruit for. I personally remember watch Shabazz’s high school tape and immediately noticing that he clearly had a brass set. Hopefully the coaches are discussing ways to identify that calmness under pressure in recruits.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Newton - not a chance
Clearly seen on the court. Love this guy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom