Karaban down the stretch... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Karaban down the stretch...

Reaction Score
The better comp is John Havlicek. Which is a huge compliment because for anyone old enough who truly loves basketball and watched the Celtics back in the late 60's to late 70's you know how good Havlicek was at so many different facets of the game. And most importantly how he made his teammates and team as a whole better when he was on the court. And I can say that never having been a Celtics fan.

Alex does so many little things and the game just seems to slow down for him. And then, he has the clutch gene... in spades. He has that 6th sense to know when someone needs to step into the void and pull us back from the brink of disaster.

He has definitely become one of my all-time favorite Huskies too. I just love how he plays the game.
And Havlicek had tremendous stamina and hustle. I believe he had a larger physical heart than most.

Reaction Score
Since we're comparing Alex to some all-time great NBA players, his shooting form most reminds me of Peja Stojaković.
One of the greatest shooters to ever do it.. I feel like Peja's release was slightly quicker and more pure. I can see what youre saying though.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
The better comp is John Havlicek. Which is a huge compliment because for anyone old enough who truly loves basketball and watched the Celtics back in the late 60's to late 70's you know how good Havlicek was at so many different facets of the game. And most importantly how he made his teammates and team as a whole better when he was on the court. And I can say that never having been a Celtics fan.

Alex does so many little things and the game just seems to slow down for him. And then, he has the clutch gene... in spades. He has that 6th sense to know when someone needs to step into the void and pull us back from the brink of disaster.

He has definitely become one of my all-time favorite Huskies too. I just love how he plays the game.
Agree on Havlicek. In addition to all the great attributes you mentioned he also seems tireless when he is out there like JH. It was really hard to grasp how much BB IQ he demonstrated last year as a freshman. Never rattled; constantly coming up with big plays. He makes everyone better out there.

Reaction Score
Terrence Oglesby on Field of 68 said Karaban will be such a great 4 year college player but he doesn't see him in the NBA. Oglesby is my favorite guy covering hoops and I was surprised by his take.

Dauster called him on it and Oglesby said only way he's an NBA guy is that he has to be an absolute three point sniper, like 45% because the 3's and 4's are so great in the NBA he'll have no chance guarding them.

Reaction Score
Terrence Oglesby on Field of 68 said Karaban will be such a great 4 year college player but he doesn't see him in the NBA. Oglesby is my favorite guy covering hoops and I was surprised by his take.

Dauster called him on it and Oglesby said only way he's an NBA guy is that he has to be an absolute three point sniper, like 45% because the 3's and 4's are so great in the NBA he'll have no chance guarding them.
I thought Reneau and Mitchell both made a bunch of tough shots or had really nice moves, but he certainly didn't stop either one.

He could be like EuroLeague MVP type, but I think he's got a shot to stick in the league.

Reaction Score
Great line by Mike Anthony at Hearst for those of us on the train: "His shots were electrifying, ones to relive past midnight on Metro North."

Reaction Score
I thought Reneau and Mitchell both made a bunch of tough shots or had really nice moves, but he certainly didn't stop either one.

He could be like EuroLeague MVP type, but I think he's got a shot to stick in the league.

And then Dauster downplayed us. Apparently we're not in that top tier group of teams.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Isn't this a retcon? Karaban did it all last year.
Well, not all last year. But once the team slump ended, yeah, he did it often, especially daggers at the end of the first half.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

A number of the Texas players physically looked like NBA players. If Karaban continues to add muscle without becoming slower and keeps working on his offensive moves and passing/ shooting off the dribble I think he has a good shot at the league. He's only a soph. He has intangibles, IQ and toughness. He needs to keep working like has been. Time will tell. He has a great future no matter what he does. The kid is a winner.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score

I am just going to leave this take alone. All I know is that right now if we have to take a shot as the clock is expiring look up AK. I never really noticed it before but does his have kind of an angled back spin on it. There were a few angles last night that really showed the rotation of the ball on his jump shot. He is going to be an all time Husky before he leaves so I am going to enjoy watching him until he leaves.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
And Havlicek had tremendous stamina and hustle. I believe he had a larger physical heart than most.
Agreed I made the Hondo comparison earlier this year. AK I think will be back for at least one more year so we get to enjoy him and we should appreciate what we have in him. He makes everyone around him better.

Reaction Score
And I was think that he wasn't having a very good game, when suddenly, Mr. Last Second Shot, goes into hero mode. What an amazing performance.
While watching the game seeing our lead slip away i remember thinking if we lose this game one question is going to be what the heck happened to AK? He failed to step up and that is going to be an issue. Right on cue he turned into Larry Bird and shut that nonsense down. Hes got the clutch gene and we shouldve known it from all those last second shots before half time or in big spots he hit. Hes the real deal.

Reaction Score
I am just going to leave this take alone. All I know is that right now if we have to take a shot as the clock is expiring look up AK. I never really noticed it before but does his have kind of an angled back spin on it. There were a few angles last night that really showed the rotation of the ball on his jump shot. He is going to be an all time Husky before he leaves so I am going to enjoy watching him until he leaves.
I think hes a 4 year player. Defensively he`d get lit up in the NBA. I hope hes here 4 years and ends his career as a top 5 all time Husky.

caw

Reaction Score
And then Dauster downplayed us. Apparently we're not in that top tier group of teams.

He has had UConn around 12 or so pretty consistently since offseason. I think Karaban's advancement, Johnson's improvement and Cam Spencer's ability is something he wasn't factoring correctly. Nor Hurley's ability to coach his system.

As for Karaban in the NBA, Doug McDermott is still playing (but he was in the high 40% as a 3PT shooter in college on much lower attempts).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom