Kara Wolters | The Boneyard

Kara Wolters

Reaction Score
Hi all,

I recently had a debate with a good friend about who the best center was in UConn history. It would have to be Kara wolters in my opinion! Her size and soft touch down low was incredible. Anyone else agree?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
As far as college centers go throughout a career, I’d say Kara. Tina exploded her last year and a half. I think neither could stop the other from scoring. Tina obviously way more athletic and a great pro. I’d take either.

Reaction Score
Looking at their stats it is hard to choose. One thing that stood out was that Tina's numbers are pretty consistent over her four years, more than I would have expected given that she has been said to blossom over her last year or two.

Kara: career 63 percent for FG; career 6.8 rebounds per game with a high of 9.5; career blocks 370 with a high year of 96; career average points 15.6 with a high year of 18.8.

Tina: career FG percent 61; career rebounds 9 per game with a high year of 9.5; career blocks 244 with high year of 81 her freshman year (her totals for each year were 82, 68, 35, 63); career points average 15.4 with high year of 18.2.

Between the two, they were career 0 for 1 in 3 pt shots.

Kara was taller and heavier, Tina a better athlete. With a running, pressing team Tina would fit better; for a team with a more deliberate offense Kara would be the better fit.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Kara was one of those players that stood out against the JV, not so much against the varsity. I'd put Charles and Bascom ahead of her for starters.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Kara is incredibly underrated by UConn fans. She was great player and genuinely on of the nicest people that you will ever meet. That said I give Tina the nod over her and Stewie the nod over Tina.

Reaction Score
Kara is incredibly underrated by UConn fans. She was great player and genuinely on of the nicest people that you will ever meet. That said I give Tina the nod over her and Stewie the nod over Tina.
There is a reasonable debate to pick between Tina and Kara. Ask every player who played the 5 at UConn who was best at that position in UConn history, and it would be almost unanimous for Stewie. Almost because Stewie being Stewie, she'd vote for someone else. It would be interesting to know who she would vote for.

Reaction Score
Would take any of the mentioned players-Kara, Stewie, or Charles, but this thread is not worth much debate. Kind of like comparing yesterday's style to today's. In Kara's day, each team had a "true" down low center, not one like Stewie who could score from anywhere on the court. For 2 years, Kara was one of the, if not THE, most dominating center in the women's college game. Lets just be thankful all these great players came to UConn and we can be having this conversation.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
There is a reasonable debate to pick between Tina and Kara. Ask every player who played the 5 at UConn who was best at that position in UConn history, and it would be almost unanimous for Stewie. Almost because Stewie being Stewie, she'd vote for someone else. It would be interesting to know who she would vote for.
Not that it’s nuts, but I have a hard time comparing Stewie to true centers. To me her closest comparable is Lobo. Both could score from from all over, block shots and rebound. Versatile players and Stewie obviously in the discussion of all time greatest.

Reaction Score
Tina Charles, hands down. Perfect blend of physical dominance, speed, and finesse at the center position. Cant say that about Wolters. Also, I believe Charles was 1 of the 1st (if not the 1st?) players to be inducted into UConn's Huskies of Honor, while still playing. Wolters was great, but Tina is Top 5 all-time Husky.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I can't believe that after all of these messages on this thread, no one has mentioned Stef Dolson. I wouldn't rank her above Tina, but certainly over Kara. Stewie was not a center, nor was Rebecca.

Kelly Schumacher and, for that matter, Asjha Jones (the de facto center of the 2002 team) also deserve to be mentioned.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Tina Charles, hands down. Perfect blend of physical dominance, speed, and finesse at the center position. Cant say that about Wolters. Also, I believe Charles was 1 of the 1st (if not the 1st?) players to be inducted into UConn's Huskies of Honor, while still playing. Wolters was great, but Tina is Top 5 all-time Husky.
If I remember correctly that many of the players that did not get the honor of being an active player while being added to the Huskies of Honor was because the honor wall was established after they had left or had received the AA status their Senior year and their Senior night had already passed.

Reaction Score
Kara has always said she came along at the perfect time for her career.
She says she couldn't play at the games speed now, but she could dominate at a slower pace!
I think Kara is being modest there. Granted that she would struggle if she were on a run and gun, up and down team, but on a team that played deliberate offense, even in today's environment, she would be very hard to handle down low. Sure, some of the hybrid centers could get out of the paint to score but could they stop Kara in the paint on the next possession? It's a trade-off both ways.

Reaction Score
With respect to Kara, who was great, it’s Tina. Between her size, build and agility, she was the most physically dominant player UConn ever had.

Reaction Score
Top 5 -

1-- PF/C Stewart
2-- PF/C Lobo
3-- C Tina
4-- C Wolters
5-- C Dolson

Tina Charles gets vastly underrated for her frosh and soph years. In her frosh year she was Honorable Mention All-American. In her soph year she was 3rd team A/A. The only reason why she gets knocked is because UCONN didn't win a title those 2 years. And Geno was saying things that the media took way too literally and was passed off as fact. When Geno calls a terrific player "the worst post in America" ofc he doesn't mean it. These type of comments that Geno was making about Tina during her early years was designed to push her. Not for the media to take every thing he said as fact. How could a player who was Honorable A/A her frosh year and 3rd team A/A her 2nd year not be thought of as having 2 terrific seasons?

As for Kara- as some said earlier she is selling herself way too shot and just being classy as she always is. Kalani Brown was a 3-time A/A - so what makes her so different than Kara? Kara would be a beast in any era.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom