Kara Lawson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kara Lawson

Reaction Score
I beg to differ. Furthermore, I've seen all the players I mentioned turn that move into a 4-pt play by forcing contact while knocking down a 3 pt shot.
Its called the "Rip through rule", unless the team is in the penalty its NOT a shooting foul as the offensive player is not , YET, in his (NBA) shooting motion. I tried to attach the video of the rule but failed.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Its called the "Rip through rule", unless the team is in the penalty its NOT a shooting foul as the offensive player is not , YET, in his (NBA) shooting motion. I tried to attach the video of the rule but failed.
Here’s the rub. It’s still a foul on the defender, and it’s not a shooting foul only “if the offensive player has not started his shooting motion.” Top NBA players like Durant, Curry, Irving and others are so good they are capable of initiating a “rip through” while shooting, sometimes knocking down the shot and earning an “and one.” You see it every night in the NBA.

IMO that’s exactly what Dillard did to Lou, and it was clearly a shooting foul.

Reaction Score
Here’s the rub. It’s still a foul on the defender, and it’s not a shooting foul only “if the offensive player has not started his shooting motion.” Top NBA players like Durant, Curry, Irving and others are so good they are capable of initiating a “rip through” while shooting, sometimes knocking down the shot and earning an “and one.” You see it every night in the NBA.

IMO that’s exactly what Dillard did to Lou, and it was clearly a shooting foul.
Like all fouls it's up to the discretion of the ref.
I don't think they have the rule in college.
The rule, which is called the Harden rule was to stop those cheap fouls.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Like all fouls it's up to the discretion of the ref.
I don't think they have the rule in college.
The rule, which is called the Harden rule was to stop those cheap fouls.
Help me out here. We are in agreement that a rip through when the offensive player is determined to be in a shooting motion is in fact a shooting foul, and that it’s up to the refs to determine if the offensive player was in fact in a shooting motion???

Reaction Score
All an offensive player (especially a star player) has to do is look at the basket and a foul is called. Nobody plays defense because there is a huge penalty for a solid effort called an "automatic foul". Dillard rolled into the lane like a bowling ball, initiating contact and the defensive player was always called for the foul. This and the touch fouls made the referees the story of the game.

Reaction Score
Help me out here. We are in agreement that a rip through when the offensive player is determined to be in a shooting motion is in fact a shooting foul, and that it’s up to the refs to determine if the offensive player was in fact in a shooting motion???
From what I read, swinging your arms up ( in the NBA) is not the shooting motion until your reach the apex to shoot. The arms are moving into the actual shot. Now its also a very close call that I am sure causes much discussion and controversy, aka a "catch" in the NFL comes to mind.

Reaction Score
Its also like a pump fake is not a shot either

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
All an offensive player (especially a star player) has to do is look at the basket and a foul is called. Nobody plays defense because there is a huge penalty for a solid effort called an "automatic foul". Dillard rolled into the lane like a bowling ball, initiating contact and the defensive player was always called for the foul. This and the touch fouls made the referees the story of the game.
To repeat, "initiating contact" is not the rulebook criterion for determining who has committed a foul. As previously illustrated, if one player (either offensive or defensive) initiates contact with another player's extended arms or legs, it is a foul on other player, because that other player does not have a right to be in the space occupied by her extended arms or legs. Even if that player is as still as a statue, if her arms are extended beyond the vertical and contact occurs (never mind who initiated it), she has committed a foul.

Reaction Score
To repeat, "initiating contact" is not the rulebook criterion for determining who has committed a foul. As previously illustrated, if one player (either offensive or defensive) initiates contact with another player's extended arms or legs, it is a foul on other player, because that other player does not have a right to be in the space occupied by her extended arms or legs. Even if that player is as still as a statue, if her arms are extended beyond the vertical and contact occurs (never mind who initiated it), she has committed a foul.
I have no problem with the KLS foul. Mine concern is more general. Does anyone on this forum think that defensive players are given a fair shake?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I have no problem with the KLS foul. Mine concern is more general. Does anyone on this forum think that defensive players are given a fair shake?
Actually, I think blocking fouls are called too often, and charging fouls are not called enough -- which does fit in with your theory. It seems as if a driving player has to crash into the breastbone of the defender for a charge to be called. But I have seen charging calls against UConn that I cannot justify. I remember when Napheesa fouled out of a game against South Carolina on a charging call that I could not comprehend. It was called by Joseph Vascily (sp?), who appears to be one of the better-regarded referees. If anyone remembers that play and thinks the call was justified (I think it was in the game two years ago), I would like to hear them explain why they think that was a good call.

But in all sports, fans want to see scoring, so some edge is given to offense. That is the reason why the rules were changed in football to allow more catches to be ruled as complete, and why the "in the crease" rule in hockey (that nullified a goal if an offensive player was in the goal crease before the puck) was repealed several years ago.

Reaction Score
I don't think they are when touch calls are called on the defender yet a player like Dillard can use her left forearm like a lead blocker.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yeah, I really enjoyed her diatribe about how Dillard got fouled, on a 3 point shot, by Lou and how fair of a call it was because the shooter jumped into Lou's hand. 99.9% of the time it is a non call. But with these 3 refs, you never know what they are going to call.

We learn from our mistakes. As long as Lou plays basketball going forward, she'll NEVER get called for that kind of foul ever again. THAT play will ALWAYS be in the back of her mind.

The look on her face after the call was priceless. She knew she got caught with her hand in the cookie jar.

That play illustrated how smart a player Dillard is. She knew she could get a 3 shot foul called if she made contact with Lou's outstretched hand. :cool:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Lawson is as good as there is, IMHO.

Kara Lawson would also be a great head coach in the right setting also. She knows the game, and is still young enough to communicate with 18-22 year olds. She'd have no problem assembling a cadre of assistants to aide her. It would not surprise me if she's already been contacted by several programs since her retirement from (playing 12 years) the WNBA about any coaching aspirations she may have.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
No they aren't, but it's the 84-78 scores tht attracts the on the fence fans to the games, not the 52-48 defensive slugfests, i agree, it was a foul, and we'd want it called if someone did the same to Lou.

Reaction Score
I don't think they are when touch calls are called on the defender yet a player like Dillard can use her left forearm like a lead blocker.
Good point but be careful what you wish for. I think Pheesa is probably one of the best at using her off forearm and not getting called for it. It could be because she does it so quickly and not maintaining her pressure for but a second. In fact I think at times she doesn't even make contact.

Reaction Score
Actually, I think blocking fouls are called too often, and charging fouls are not called enough -- which does fit in with your theory. It seems as if a driving player has to crash into the breastbone of the defender for a charge to be called. But I have seen charging calls against UConn that I cannot justify. I remember when Napheesa fouled out of a game against South Carolina on a charging call that I could not comprehend. It was called by Joseph Vascily (sp?), who appears to be one of the better-regarded referees. If anyone remembers that play and thinks the call was justified (I think it was in the game two years ago), I would like to hear them explain why they think that was a good call.

But in all sports, fans want to see scoring, so some edge is given to offense. That is the reason why the rules were changed in football to allow more catches to be ruled as complete, and why the "in the crease" rule in hockey (that nullified a goal if an offensive player was in the goal crease before the puck) was repealed several years ago.

If the defender plays good defense and beats the offensive player to the spot, and if the offensive player has already committed to going there and can't or doesn't change course, it's a collision, and 50/50 that gets called a blocking foul and 70/30 if the offensive player shoots. It's stacked.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom