Kara Lawson | The Boneyard

Kara Lawson

Reaction Score
Yeah, I really enjoyed her diatribe about how Dillard got fouled, on a 3 point shot, by Lou and how fair of a call it was because the shooter jumped into Lou's hand. 99.9% of the time it is a non call. But with these 3 refs, you never know what they are going to call.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I really enjoyed her diatribe about how Dillard got fouled, on a 3 point shot, by Lou and how fair of a call it was because the shooter jumped into Lou's hand. 99.9% of the time it is a non call. But with these 3 refs, you never know what they are going to call.
The refs did seem to have it in for us.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That's a pro move by Dillard. Watch the NBA, and you will see players like James Harden, Steph Curry and Kyrie Irving do the exact same thing when a defender is standing there with their arm extended.

Reaction Score
The refs did seem to have it in for us.
Well, I thought in the first half they called a few on Buffalo that were too touchy but they certainly changed their focus to us in the second half.
I would love to see one of the "stat" BYers come up with a list of when we have "committed" anywhere near the number that were called tonight (on our starters only)!!!!

Reaction Score
That was a foul. Very smart play by the Buffalo player. Lou got lazy and dropped her hands. Spot on analysis by Kara Lawson.

Reaction Score
I was confused by a lot of the travel calls on Collier. There was one where she dribbled the ball and then took a step and they called a travel when she took the step. Maybe I missed what the ref saw, but I was surprised by some of the calls tonight.

As for Kara, she is one of the best analysts and I love hearing about her breaking down a play. She’s great at calling out the intricacies and fallacies of plays.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
It should have been a foul on Dillard since she initiated contact .. NBA rules are about entertainment, not about basketball .. Harden 'walks' on his step-back jumper but the refs allow it, eh?

Reaction Score
Yeah. I agree. Kara just knows, or has that feel for, the game and knows the when to strike that right balance for comments... an all-star.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Lawson's fantastic. Love seeing the support UCONN fans here have for her. Here's a good read on Lawson from her senior year if anyone is interested. Provides a little more insight about her background...not at all surprised to see she was an excellent student and had aspirations to be a lawyer. She seems like the type who'd thrive in any field she went in to:
LAWSON REWROTE FATHER'S GAME PLAN

Reaction Score
Lawson is as good as there is, IMHO.
Like art and music, opinions vary. I feel Kara is the most knowledgeable announcer out there and expresses her thoughts well. Unfortunately, the past 2 years she has slipped into a monotone, low key style that detracts from her messages.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Lawson's fantastic. Love seeing the support UCONN fans here have for her. Here's a good read on Lawson from her senior year if anyone is interested. Provides a little more insight about her background...not at all surprised to see she was an excellent student and had aspirations to be a lawyer. She seems like the type who'd thrive in any field she went in to:
LAWSON REWROTE FATHER'S GAME PLAN

I love Kara but then some one reminds me she went to TN. :eek::oops::confused:;)

Reaction Score
That's a pro move by Dillard. Watch the NBA, and you will see players like James Harden, Steph Curry and Kyrie Irving do the exact same thing when a defender is standing there with their arm extended.
Its not a shooting foul in the NBA

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
That was a foul. Very smart play by the Buffalo player. Lou got lazy and dropped her hands. Spot on analysis by Kara Lawson.
I was worried that Dillard would try that all game but we lucked out. Dillard is some competitor.

I watched the Buffalo-Rutgers game, as well. After two consecutive plays in which Dillard drew fouls (one on a drive, one a lean-in jumper), Lawson brought up her proclivity for getting to "her second home," the foul line. Kara noted that she (Dillard) has obviously worked hard at drawing fouls...plus she has the talent to pull it off.

Per another comment that Kara has also picked up a more low-key delivery (even monotonish), perhaps being on the air day-in, day-out as an NBA analyst has made her adapt that style to save her voice.

Reaction Score

Our players where a little lazy today. They were getting beat to most loose balls and reaching out instead of moving their feet.

Reaction Score
It should have been a foul on Dillard since she initiated contact .. NBA rules are about entertainment, not about basketball .. Harden 'walks' on his step-back jumper but the refs allow it, eh?
I was going to reply to the "it's what they do in the NBA" post that when I was growing up, it did matter who initiated the contact but I figured that I would get slammed for saying that.

Reaction Score
She went to TN, would have stuck a dagger in our hearts, if given the chance, and sometimes talks way too much. Otherwise, Kara is great!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I beg to differ with your interpretation of the rules, specifically whether "initiating contact" is the deciding factor for a foul. The real question is ownership of space, and according to the rules, no player (offensive or defensive) owns any space except what she occupies and what is directly over her head or (when she jumps) under her feet.

That is clearest in the case where an offensive player is driving with the ball, and a defensive player has her arms stretched out horizontally away from her body. If the offensive player drives directly into her outstretched arm while she (the defender) remains absolutely motionless, then by rule, it is a holding foul on the defender rather than a charging call on the offensive player. That is because no defender owns the space occupied by her outstretched arm. If she wants to stop the drive, she has to get her body in front of the driving player and establish position -- sticking out her arm (or even having stuck it out before the contact) does NOT suffice to get a charging call.

In this case, Lou extended her arm past the vertical in Dillard's direction. She did not own the space occupied by her outstretched arm, so all Dillard had to do to draw a foul was make contact with the extended arm as part of her shooting motion. The call was correct.

Reaction Score
I was confused by a lot of the travel calls on Collier. There was one where she dribbled the ball and then took a step and they called a travel when she took the step. Maybe I missed what the ref saw, but I was surprised by some of the calls tonight.

As for Kara, she is one of the best analysts and I love hearing about her breaking down a play. She’s great at calling out the intricacies and fallacies of plays.
The travel calls and screen fouls are just spur of the moment subjective calls by most refs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom