Kara Lawson is a Celtic | The Boneyard

Kara Lawson is a Celtic

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As per ESPN. She will be an assistant coach.

To borrow a favorite saying of one Anthony Irwin Kornheiser (Mr Tony)..........................I believe I had that. ;)
This is a comment I posted several weeks ago that mentioned Lawson as a "should be" coach.

I know I'm going to sound like a "homer" here, because females from other programs have also acquired "meaningful" front office positions in the NBA recently (so be it). Positions that reflect not only their knowledge (understanding) and love of the game, but their playing experience and management (people) skills as well.

Players with a UConn pedigree have been coveted by coaches and GM's in the WNBA for the last two decades. Now they are becoming attractive to NBA presidents and CEO's as well.

Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore and even Rebecca Lobo would also receive very serious "courting" overtures should they choose to listen to offers for coaching or front office positions.

Kia Nurse and Rene Montgomery would also be good candidates for coaching positions when they're ready. There are many other UConn alums that would be great coaches that I fail to mention. Look at the UConn alums that ARE coaching at this time and building successful programs.

I mentioned in another post that Kara Lawson (Tennessee) is ready right now to be a coach in college or the W. Playing for Geno and UConn does not "guarantee" success, but it sure gives you the tools and preparation to do so, regardless of the direction/path you choose to take after graduation. In a word, it doesn't hurt. Potential recruits, please take note. ;)

Congratulations to our own Swintayla Marie Cash-Canal on her new position with the Pelicans. Madam Vice-President, we know you'll do a great job for the Pelicans.

We know you'll continue to be a high profile representative of the UConn program and a positive role model for young female b-ballers everywhere, as you continue to blaze trails and pave the way for those coming behind you. ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I posted this one on May 30, 2019.

I like Kara Lawson in the broadcast booth. She has become (in my opinion) one of the best on-air media basketball analysts today. I think she's cheating those players coming up behind her. She'd be an excellent coach at the college level.

View attachment 43583

No doubt she could also coach at the pro level as well. She knows the game, she can relate to the youngsters, she's been where they want to go, and she has an attractive attitude and demeanor. Players would love her. She could coach my kid. She's doing very well financially. The networks love her. She likes working in the media, so other than coaching for USA basketball in the spring and summer, we may never see her pacing the sidelines for and institution of higher learning.

I understand she was never interested in the head coaching position at Tennessee. I wonder if she had, if Phil Fulmer (Tenn AD) would have hired her. Who knows, maybe one of these days she'll get the itch to coach at the collegiate or pro level and scratch it.

Kara is now working both sides of the street. She's coaching in the NBA, and calling games when time (and her new duties) allow. I'm so happy for her. It was only a matter of time. The only way I could be happier for her is if she had played for Geno. :D Ol' Carnac is beginning to round back into shape, seeing things BEFORE they happen.

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Wonder if Kara is still going to be the Head Coach for USA 3 x 3 Team for the Olympics?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Wonder if Kara is still going to be the Head Coach for USA 3 x 3 Team for the Olympics?

I would think she would be involved in all aspects of the NBA Summer League where the newbie Assistant coaches have alot to do and learn. Maybe pull a Becky Hammon and coach the Celtic Summer League team to the championship.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I posted this one on May 30, 2019.

Kara is now working both sides of the street. She's coaching in the NBA, and calling games when time (and her new duties) allow. I'm so happy for her. It was only a matter of time. The only way I could be happier for her is if she had played for Geno. :D Ol' Carnac is beginning to round back into shape, seeing things BEFORE they happen.
She's being hired as a full time assistant so I doubt that she'll be calling any games for anyone. From late Sept. thru April or May she'll be too busy with her full time job. Plus those coaches are all involved in the summer league action.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
If Kellie Harper somehow flames out at Tennessee in the very near term (which I very much doubt), I predict this loss of having Kara be available as their savior coach will lead to much gnashing of teeth and rending of garments on Rocky Top.

I like Lawson - I really hope she has a good run in Boston.

And wow, two women in the NBA as coaches next year. That is just neat.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Congrats to Kara! As a basketball fan and resident of your home town, I will miss you.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If Kellie Harper somehow flames out at Tennessee in the very near term (which I very much doubt), I predict this loss of having Kara be available as their savior coach will lead to much gnashing of teeth and rending of garments on Rocky Top.

I like Lawson - I really hope she has a good run in Boston.

While TN fans are consistently supportive of Kara in her new job, your post echoes a persistent theme over at VolNation.

Reaction Score
This goes a long ways to make up for the team's offseason free agent losses with Kara and Kemba (reportedly) coming to the Celtics.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don't mean this in a cynical way, but I suspect the NBA owners have decided to do this in some collective decision making, however informal. So I more than suspect more are coming. Makes good sense. These women know the game inside and out and as the NBA has moved toward more well rounded play these women know how to play and teach that game. Kudos to the teams climbing on board.

Reaction Score
Congratulations to Kara Lawson and the Boston Celtics! Each step forward makes the next easier to make. I think the University of Tennessee may have missed an opportunity to acquire a fine coach.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score

There is actually 3 women I believe. Didn't The Cavs hire Coach Gotlieb from Cal?
[/QUOTE]

You're right. That's who I had in mind. Who's the third coach?

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

There is actually 3 women I believe. Didn't The Cavs hire Coach Gotlieb from Cal?

@cabbie191 and @UCSouth (and the rest of the Boneyard), there are actually there are more than two (or three) female coaches in the NBA.

As of June 2019, there are eight women serving as assistant coaches in the NBA:
  • Lindsey Harding (Philadelphia Sixers)
  • Becky Hammon (San Antonio Spurs)
  • Jenny Boucek (Dallas Mavericks)
  • Natalie Nakase (Los Angeles Clippers)
  • Kristi Toliver (Washington Wizards)
  • Karen Stack Umlauf (Chicago Bulls)
  • Lindsay Gottlieb (Cleveland Cavaliers)
  • Kara Lawson (Boston Celtics)
As an aside, Nancy Lieberman had previously been an assistant coach with the Sacramento Kings (2015-2017). She apparently had to take leaves of absence during her tenure to care for her mother (who was living in Florida was sick), which proved difficult to do with the long hours of the NBA assistant coach position. As a result, she had to step away altogether in 2017. I believe she is doing commentary for New Orleans Pelicans' broadcasts.

Reaction Score
Nothing against Kara Lawson, but as a Celtics fan and having covered her in college, I would have rather seen the Celtics hire Asjha Jones. More championship-winning experience for a Celtics team that has none. More front-office experience than Kara (player development, Mystics). Maybe the Wizards will bring her on at some point, but Asjha would be a terrific coach. As intelligent and mentally tough as any player I covered, including Sue and Diana.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom