Kansas State ranked. Told ya!! | The Boneyard

Kansas State ranked. Told ya!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Maybe it's just an academic point, but I would dispute the notion that the polls constitute proof of whether a team is tough.

For several weeks, K-State had been hovering just outside the top 25 of the AP voting. What put them over the hump this week wasn't really anything K-State did to prove itself, but rather the fact that teams like DePaul, Oregon, and Green Bay suffered surprise losses to unranked teams.

I'm not saying K-State doesn't deserve to be ranked, and I would consider them a top-25 team at this point. But movement in the polls is often more about the unexpected failures or successes of other teams than anything else.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'll bet that DePaul gets back in before long.

But told ya that K-State was a very tough team.

WHOA...You caught a big one here :). No attack but do supply the link to the preseason prediction. ;)
Most all here probably saw the game they gave UConn and realize they are in the upper echelon of the woman's game.
As for predicting DePaul cracks the top 25 soon with them sitting at 26 in the AP and 17 in the RPI.....
Would one want to go out on a prognosticating limb like this and risk it all? Not a game for those of us faint of the heart.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'll bet that DePaul gets back in before long.

But told ya that K-State was a very tough team.

Depaul only claim to fame this season is a win over Syracuse. They dont play any ranked teams the rest of the season.... they may get back in... but probably due to teams ahead of them losing as opposed to anything outstanding they do the rest of the year.

Reaction Score
WHOA...You caught a big one here :). No attack but do supply the link to the preseason prediction. ;)
Most all here probably saw the game they gave UConn and realize they are in the upper echelon of the woman's game.
As for predicting DePaul cracks the top 25 soon with them sitting at 26 in the AP and 17 in the RPI.....
Would one want to go out on a prognosticating limb like this and risk it all? Not a game for those of us faint of the heart.

Not a pre-season prediction. Just after watching them play against UConn, and play very well, figured they deserved to be in the top 25.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Not a pre-season prediction. Just after watching them play against UConn, and play very well, figured they deserved to be in the top 25.

well they play Baylor next week.... then WVU and Oklahoma. Will be interested in seeing what they can do in the Big 12

Plebe

Reaction Score
Well, I hope K-State enjoys its seven days of being "ranked." Today's loss to Northern Iowa will make that a short-lived status.

UNI got hot from 3 in the second half, including 5 of 5 in the last seven minutes of the game. I don't understand why Mittie insisted on staying in a zone defense the entire game, unless his confidence is just that low in his players' ability to guard one-on-one.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
:oops: They dont belong in the top 25 now..... might be awhile before they get back

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I guess we know who wins a fight between a Bear and a Wildcat :cool:

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Baylor won by 30 pts. K State is good but not enough depth.

Reaction Score
Baylor won by 30 pts. K State is good but not enough depth.

Of course, no one has enough depth for Baylor. Except, perhaps, Connecticut.

It will be interesting to see how the conference schedules play out. Seems clear that the creme de la creme will clobber most everyone: Maryland, Florida State, Baylor. The next group could lose a game or so: Notre Dame (already did), Mississippi State, Louisville (already did). Then there are the wild cards: Duke, Texas, who should win most of their remaining games, but could just crap out.

But then there are the real wild cards, teams that shouldn't be there, but are for some reason: Tennessee, Kentucky.

I don't see much movement in the polls from now through the end of February. But there are strong teams out there that could rise: K-State, South Florida included. And we'll see of Texas continues to lose games that they should win, or whether they prove themselves much tougher as the season unfolds. Same for Louisville: will they do what they did last year, which is start out lousy, and end superb? And is Duke for real? What about NC State? just getting their act together?

But we know for (pretty) sure that the end rankings will include at the top Connecticut, Baylor, Maryland, Florida State, and (should have) Notre Dame.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Who would have thunk that one of the most important games in preserving "the streak" would be that win at FSU. UCONN was not "UCONN" yet and had Romero played I think FSU would have won that game. But FSU would not get nearly that close to UCONN now, who is much better than they were in that early season game.

I think FSU is good but I don't think they are top 4. But they will certainly have their chances to make a statement with games remaining against Notre Dame, Louisville, Duke and Texas.

Mulkey finally pulled the trigger and is now starting Kalani Brown at center. She has been the best player at that position all season and I am surprised that it took her that long to make the change. Having her in the game from the very beginning is a huge advantage for Baylor. Brown will end Big 12 play as a first team all-conference player.

And we are finally seeing the Lauren Cox that we expected to see. Early in the season she looked as confused and out of sorts as any freshman I had seen in a while but something clicked and she is now playing freely and not afraid of making mistakes. Her development is key for Baylor's season.

And I've watched Allen from ND and Alexis Jones and IMO Jones is by far the better point guard.

Another key development is the play of Alexis Prince. She is finally completely healthy and her game has become so fluid and her confidence is sky high. She will be drafted by a WNBA team and she will make the team. Her length, defense and shooting touch are better than a lot of players who are expected to be AAs this season.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Of course, no one has enough depth for Baylor. Except, perhaps, Connecticut.

It will be interesting to see how the conference schedules play out. Seems clear that the creme de la creme will clobber most everyone: Maryland, Florida State, Baylor. The next group could lose a game or so: Notre Dame (already did), Mississippi State, Louisville (already did). Then there are the wild cards: Duke, Texas, who should win most of their remaining games, but could just crap out.

But then there are the real wild cards, teams that shouldn't be there, but are for some reason: Tennessee, Kentucky.

I don't see much movement in the polls from now through the end of February. But there are strong teams out there that could rise: K-State, South Florida included. And we'll see of Texas continues to lose games that they should win, or whether they prove themselves much tougher as the season unfolds. Same for Louisville: will they do what they did last year, which is start out lousy, and end superb? And is Duke for real? What about NC State? just getting their act together?

But we know for (pretty) sure that the end rankings will include at the top Connecticut, Baylor, Maryland, Florida State, and (should have) Notre Dame.

I think you are giving FSU a little too much credit at this point. They played UCONN close in that early season game, but UCONN was not yet "UCONN." If that game were played today it would not be nearly as close. However, they have their chances to prove themselves with games remaining against Notre Dame, Louisville, Duke and Texas. It should be interesting to see who emerges as the creme de la creme in the ACC.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think you are giving FSU a little too much credit at this point. They played UCONN close in that early season game, but UCONN was not yet "UCONN." If that game were played today it would not be nearly as close. However, they have their chances to prove themselves with games remaining against Notre Dame, Louisville, Duke and Texas. It should be interesting to see who emerges as the creme de la creme in the ACC.

Florida State played without their most valuable player in that game. Romero.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Florida State played without their most valuable player in that game. Romero.

Yep, I am aware of that. And I think FSU would have won that game had Romero played. But UCONN has gotten much better since that game and I don't think FSU would stay nearly as close were that game to be played today.

Reaction Score
Who would have thunk that one of the most important games in preserving "the streak" would be that win at FSU. UCONN was not "UCONN" yet and had Romero played I think FSU would have won that game. But FSU would not get nearly that close to UCONN now, who is much better than they were in that early season game.

I think FSU is good but I don't think they are top 4. But they will certainly have their chances to make a statement with games remaining against Notre Dame, Louisville, Duke and Texas.

Mulkey finally pulled the trigger and is now starting Kalani Brown at center. She has been the best player at that position all season and I am surprised that it took her that long to make the change. Having her in the game from the very beginning is a huge advantage for Baylor. Brown will end Big 12 play as a first team all-conference player.

And we are finally seeing the Lauren Cox that we expected to see. Early in the season she looked as confused and out of sorts as any freshman I had seen in a while but something clicked and she is now playing freely and not afraid of making mistakes. Her development is key for Baylor's season.

And I've watched Allen from ND and Alexis Jones and IMO Jones is by far the better point guard.

Another key development is the play of Alexis Prince. She is finally completely healthy and her game has become so fluid and her confidence is sky high. She will be drafted by a WNBA team and she will make the team. Her length, defense and shooting touch are better than a lot of players who are expected to be AAs this season.
You have reason to be very happy ETT. Baylor is the one team I'd rather not see in the tournament. They appear to be the only one at UConn's level. If they played tomorrow on a neutral court it would be a toss up IMO.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Agreed that UConn would beat FSU by a larger margin now than in the beginning of the season, even with Romero back. UConn struggled a little in that game, but has been on a fast track ever since. Obviously with a loss to NC State, FSU will go down in the polls. Texas and Duke have been head scratchers! These teams are hot one day and cold the next. Not sure what to expect from them..... Baylor will be our biggest competition should we meet back up again. Most teams would have lost to UConn by a larger margin at UConn during the unveiling of the Championship banner. The first home game/banner unveiling is a huge hype for our girls and fans. That's a hard atmosphere to play in for any team.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Another loss for KSU, going down to OU tonight, 85-80. A 5 point loss to a top 20 team on the road is pretty respectable, however.

Reaction Score
Another loss for KSU, going down to OU tonight, 85-80. A 5 point loss to a top 20 team on the road is pretty respectable, however.

And in overtime to boot! So that doesn't strike me as a bad loss. West Virginia had a bad loss. K-State could remain ranked next week.

Plebe

Reaction Score

K-State came back from roughly a 10-point deficit in the 4th quarter to put themselves in a position to win. But OU hit a huge 3 to send the game to overtime.

This is by far the biggest win thus far for OU, which had done little to merit its ranked status (best win was South Dakota State, and lost to Kentucky, Oral Roberts, and Cal).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom