Kansas State game thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Kansas State game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Phee makes thing happen. She blew a layup and had a shot blocked, but she uses her length and hustles.

Reaction Score
Geno after the game: Stewie's she's just changed a lot as a player since freshman year, the points are one thing, those are kind of easy for Stewie, but she's doing a whole bunch of other things for our team on both ends of the floor and right now she's helping her teammates to be better and this is the best basketball I've seen her play. She's become very vocal, her first few years she was very quiet. She doesn't say a lot, but when she does say it, players listen and take it to heart. She's leading by example. Gabby's playing great, she hustles and tries to make plays. Gabby has tremendous confidence.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Well they're playing some pretty good teams to start the season and there's an awful lot to absorb in UCONN's system. I doubt anyone on the coaching staff is too concerned about it.

K-State plays hard but they're not particularly good. Collier is missing bunnies and air-balling short jumpers. She seems to not be reacting fast mentally. Still think she'll be okay, but I thought she'd be ready immediately. KLS is going to be a work in progress.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We gave up a fair number of points, 57. But we scored a lot more. 40 more, in fact.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Saniya and T hit a couple of late threes, but we still got outscored from the arc by 30-18.

Reaction Score
Geno after the game: Stewie's she's just changed a lot as a player since freshman year, the points are one thing, those are kind of easy for Stewie, but she's doing a whole bunch of other things for our team on both ends of the floor and right now she's helping her teammates to be better and this is the best basketball I've seen her play. She's become very vocal, her first few years she was very quiet. She doesn't say a lot, but when she does say it, players listen and take it to heart. She's leading by example. Gabby's playing great, she hustles and tries to make plays. Gabby has tremendous confidence.
Kerith: "Gabby's confidence seems really high right now."
Geno: "Gabby is always doing stuff, always trying to make plays. And she does make a lot of them, so her confidence is really high. The lesson is, if you want your confidence to be good, do stuff."

Reaction Score
Mo's dribble+pullup J is the best addition to the UCONN offense this year - it is really an important weapon against the zones that we often see. It's the one area in our teams' offense the last few years that has been missing to a certain extent. We have always had players that go to the rim but as Geno mentioned last week, sometimes you need players to put it on the floor, meaning, break down the defense and get to a spot.

Stewie seems a little more comfortable in doing this as well this year, but Mo is really making a statement with it. It's something the team needed.
Nice observation ... As if Mo wasn't lethal enough now she's added that Bird like pull-up to her Arsenal.

Reaction Score
So happy to see Saniya looking healthy out there!! Can't wait to see DJB and Natalie back in action too. Scary to think that UConn has more weapons to unload!

Reaction Score
K-State plays hard but they're not particularly good. Collier is missing bunnies and air-balling short jumpers. She seems to not be reacting fast mentally. Still think she'll be okay, but I thought she'd be ready immediately. KLS is going to be a work in progress.
In 33 minutes so far in her UConn career Collier has 15 pts (on only 8 FGA), 15 boards, 3 steals and is second on the team in points from the charity stripe. Other than that ... not much to like.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Thought the two frosh would be more ready to contribute than this. Hope Butler will be when healthy.
How many UCONN freshman have been more ready to play than these two? Make an assessment after a few more games and if they still don't impress you, maybe there is cause for concern. There is a chance they won't hit their stride this season, but look how Gabby improved after her freshman season. Both of them admitted they had a lot to learn.

Reaction Score
Thought the two frosh would be more ready to contribute than this. Hope Butler will be when healthy.

To put something into perspective. We often times expect freshman to immediately be their complete self or a high impact player. The only freshman of late that come to mind are KML, Moore, and Hartley who have been immediate high impact players. Maybe Dolson but she was only the shell of the player she became and her and hartley got big minutes on a need basis. Stewie and Jefferson are currently the top two players in america. As freshman, stewie struggled much of the year and only truly came into form during the NCAA tournament. Jefferson, in 17 mpg (normal minutes for a freshman) averaged 4.7 points and had 69 assists to 49 turnovers. She has come so far during her years at uconn.

Its game two, these players seem to be figuring things out. If I do recall, KML went 0-7 from downtown in an exhibition game her freshman year. Lou will find her touch and Collier will start hitting around the basket. Right now this is a team with a starting 5 that alone can take the team incredibly far into the post season. These young players need to find their place in the system and contribute positively. Next year is when it will be important for them to have progressed as players over their freshman year and over next summer.

Reaction Score
I know we should be positive; however, Saniya almost always uses the same head fake to try and get past a player or get them off their feet. I don't see any ball fakes or jab steps. It's her junior year and I had hoped to see more of an improvement. Yes, I'm aware she's been hurt and hasn't practiced much, but that doesn't have anything to do with using the same head fake for three years.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
How many UCONN freshman have been more ready to play than these two? Make an assessment after a few more games and if they still don't impress you, maybe there is cause for concern. There is a chance they won't hit their stride this season, but look how Gabby improved after her freshman season. Both of them admitted they had a lot to learn.

Gabby was a major contributor as a frosh on both ends of the floor.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
In 33 minutes so far in her UConn career Collier has 15 pts (on only 8 FGA), 15 boards, 3 steals and is second on the team in points from the charity stripe. Other than that ... not much to like.

She was 1-7 tonight, missing shots she has made for years, and looking like she doesn't yet have that mental quickness needed to join in with UConn's top-flight players which, again, surprises me. She has gotten to the FT line a lot so far.

No mention of KLS so I take it you don't disagree there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She was 1-7 tonight, missing shots she has made for years, and looking like she doesn't yet have that mental quickness needed to join in with UConn's top-flight players which, again, surprises me. She has gotten to the FT line a lot so far.

No mention of KLS so I take it you don't disagree there.
Don't disagree on KLS. Hopefully she'll come around, but given what we've seen so far it's not clear she deserves significant minutes in competitive games.

Reaction Score
K-State reminded me a lot of last year's Estero game vs. Green Bay: A team seriously outmatched talent-wise, but really scrappy, gave everything they had for 40 minutes. solid defenders, hustled non-stop, and made lots of threes to keep it 'close' for awhile. I'm curious to see how they'll fare against Texas, Baylor and Oklahoma, but they will definitely give the rest of their opponents trouble. They for sure gave us a better game than "#7 OSU." Forget the final score, K-State is a solid basketball team that'll win a lot of games this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom