Kansas Scouting Report | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kansas Scouting Report

Reaction Score
Great point.

49% of Kansas' scoring comes from Dickinson and McCullar.

On the other hand, UConn's top-four scorers average between 14.6 and 16.3 ppg. Our top two scorers, Spencer and Newton, attribute to just 36% of UConn's scoring.

I wonder if Uconn's game plan for Dickinson will be similar to their plan against Gonzaga last year and Timme. My biggest fear is that the refs give Kansas a very favorable whistle which is what I'm expecting. I think UConn is deeper and more talented but again, like what was said, Phog Allen isn't any easy place to win.

Reaction Score
Completely shameless self-promotion: Broke down the matchup with a guy that knows Kansas as well as we all know UConn, CJ Moore from The Athletic:

A couple interesting things from that discussion:

1. He expects Kevin McCullar to get matched up with Tristen and Dajuan Harris to guard Cam.
2. His take on Nick Timberlake is pretty interesting. Part of his struggles are confidence, but also a lot of it is difficulty picking up Kansas scheme.
3. The way he thinks Self will use KJ Adams to attack Karaban.

I actually think the matchup suits UConn really well. Kansas doesn't really have a guy that's elite off the bounce, and I think Karaban should be able to win the matchup with Adams on both ends. To me, it comes down to Donovan vs. Dickinson. Hunter is kinda uniquely suited to being able to attack Clingan.

Should be fantastic.

Reaction Score
Completely shameless self-promotion: Broke down the matchup with a guy that knows Kansas as well as we all know UConn, CJ Moore from The Athletic:

1. He expects Kevin McCullar to get matched up with Tristen and Dajuan Harris to guard Cam.
2. His take on Nick Timberlake is pretty interesting. Part of his struggles are confidence, but also a lot of it is difficulty picking up Kansas scheme.

I actually think the matchup suits UConn really well. Kansas doesn't really have a guy that's elite off the bounce, and I think Karaban should be able to win the matchup with Adams on both ends. To me, it comes down to Donovan vs. Dickinson. Hunter is kinda uniquely suited to being able to attack Clingan.

Should be fantastic.

is there a possibility Danny goes to a zone look if we struggle to stop Harris and McCullar from penetrating the paint early in the game? Almost like the second Xavier game last year?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Should be fantastic.

CJ seems to see a lot of this the same way I do.

Reaction Score

Should be fantastic.

Great pod.He knows the game. Surprised neither of you brought up Samson as a factor in Friday's game. If he can play with a little discipline and not bite on the up-fakes and stay out of foul trouble.Think he could have a major impact on the outcome of the game with his D/boards.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I wonder if Uconn's game plan for Dickinson will be similar to their plan against Gonzaga last year and Timme. My biggest fear is that the refs give Kansas a very favorable whistle which is what I'm expecting. I think UConn is deeper and more talented but again, like what was said, Phog Allen isn't any easy place to win.
I don't know why people worry about the refs. These will probably be Big East refs. KU doesn't get any different whistle at home than we do. It's not going to decide the game. It's hard to play there because 1. the team you play against is almost always very good and 2. it's loud as hell. They may challenge this record. Loudest crowd roar at an indoor sports event

Reaction Score
I don't know why people worry about the refs. These will probably be Big East refs. KU doesn't get any different whistle at home than we do. It's not going to decide the game. It's hard to play there because 1. the team you play against is almost always very good and 2. it's loud as hell. They may challenge this record. Loudest crowd roar at an indoor sports event
I would rather have B12 refs than the 3 stooges we had last game!

Reaction Score
I'm interested in what our approach is with Samson. Do we see some double big like we did against Indiana? Adams is a pretty natural candidate to guard with a big.

If we play it like normal, we would constantly have fresh legs against Dickinson. That's obviously valuable. But it does allow them to pull our big away from the basket for back cuts and over the top of Karaban to Adams in the dunker's spot or on hi-lo's. That's a pretty big part of their offense.

If we go double big, the benefit is pretty much always having a shotblocker in the paint or near enough to help, which could really slow down their offense. But we can't really do this fulltime since Clingan can't play very long in a row without a sub. This would actually let us maybe put Clingan "on" Adams (but really roaming), and let Johnson follow Dickinson to the 3pt line. If they want to try to find Adams for a lob, good luck getting it past Clingan. But since neither Clingan or Samson have shown an ability to successfully stretch the floor on the other end, we're then playing 2 non-shooters and limiting our playbook. We'd potentially have a big edge on the glass though, although we'd be crowding it a bit when Clingan vs. Dickinson 1v1 for rebounds should be in our favor.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Who's guarding this guy?

Kevin McCullar 6’7 212 fifth-year
  • 18.1p, 7.3r, 5.7a, 1.1s, 0.9b, 60.9 2P%, 1.1 3PM, 29.6 3P%, ¼ FGAs from 3, 4.9 FTA, 73.5 FT%
Would be great to see Stewart or Ross step up and become important pieces if for nothing other than perimeter defense. I don't have a ton of confidence in TNew picking up McCullar for an entire game while still providing what we need from him on offense (flirting with a triple double every night)

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
I'm interested in what our approach is with Samson. Do we see some double big like we did against Indiana? Adams is a pretty natural candidate to guard with a big.

If we play it like normal, we would constantly have fresh legs against Dickinson. That's obviously valuable. But it does allow them to pull our big away from the basket for back cuts and over the top of Karaban to Adams in the dunker's spot or on hi-lo's. That's a pretty big part of their offense.

If we go double big, the benefit is pretty much always having a shotblocker in the paint or near enough to help, which could really slow down their offense. But we can't really do this fulltime since Clingan can't play very long in a row without a sub. This would actually let us maybe put Clingan "on" Adams (but really roaming), and let Johnson follow Dickinson to the 3pt line. If they want to try to find Adams for a lob, good luck getting it past Clingan. But since neither Clingan or Samson have shown an ability to successfully stretch the floor on the other end, we're then playing 2 non-shooters and limiting our playbook. We'd potentially have a big edge on the glass though, although we'd be crowding it a bit when Clingan vs. Dickinson 1v1 for rebounds should be in our favor.
Love the double big tactic and Karaban can slide down to pick up McCullar. How short does the rotation get becomes the question.

Reaction Score
ESPN'S matchup predictor gives Kansas a 77% chance of winning. Seems a bit excessive to me.
It somehow has Kansas above us in the BPI thing, even after yesterday. So ESPN would still have Kansas winning on a neutral court, which differs from the other computer rankings.

Reaction Score
Who's guarding this guy?

Kevin McCullar 6’7 212 fifth-year
  • 18.1p, 7.3r, 5.7a, 1.1s, 0.9b, 60.9 2P%, 1.1 3PM, 29.6 3P%, ¼ FGAs from 3, 4.9 FTA, 73.5 FT%
Would be great to see Stewart or Ross step up and become important pieces if for nothing other than perimeter defense. I don't have a ton of confidence in TNew picking up McCullar for an entire game while still providing what we need from him on offense (flirting with a triple double every night)
To me it's Spencer. Let Newton rest guarding Elmarko or whoever Kansas has on a wing (Timberlake, Furphy, etc.) and let Solo be a roamer/helper on Dajuan Harris. McCullar isn't overly quick, and Spencer is good enough positionally I think he'd do a good job on him.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
To me it's Spencer. Let Newton rest guarding Elmarko or whoever Kansas has on a wing (Timberlake, Furphy, etc.) and let Solo be a roamer/helper on Dajuan Harris. McCullar isn't overly quick, and Spencer is good enough positionally I think he'd do a good job on him.
I think it’s Newton. Ideally it would be Castle. Jackson hasn’t shown that he’s an offensive threat, so I’d put Cam on him. But we will likely switch a bit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom