Kansas @ Baylor (2) - 2/05/20 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kansas @ Baylor (2) - 2/05/20

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
And yet, despite the infinite wisdom of Monsieur Massey, somehow South Florida beat the 3rd best Big 12 team and gave Baylor a tougher game than anyone in the Big 12 has. Kansas State lost to Memphis. Oklahoma lost to Houston and Wichita State.

Massey doesn't tell the whole story.
Ok, we’ll use a more subjective ranking. Charlie Creme has 4 Big 12 teams in his bracket, with 3 more listed in the next 8. The American has none listed besides UConn. Yes, a few games have gone against this, but looking at complete resumes the Big 12 is a decisively better conference.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Ok, we’ll use a more subjective ranking. Charlie Creme has 4 Big 12 teams in his bracket, with 3 more listed in the next 8. The American has none listed besides UConn. Yes, a few games have gone against this, but looking at complete resumes the Big 12 is a decisively better conference.
And what you're calling "decisively" is what I call a distinction without a difference.

Meanwhile, Baylor just beat one of those really tough Big 12 teams by 60.

Reaction Score
And what you're calling "decisively" is what I call a distinction without a difference.

Meanwhile, Baylor just beat one of those really tough Big 12 teams by 60.
I'm not sure what more evidence you're looking for. Every metric I can find has the Big 12 as a top 4 conference, and the American at 8th or worse, with a large dropoff after the Power 5. There were only 6 head-to-head matchups that I could find, which is not nearly enough to determine much of anything, especially since only 8 of the 22 teams in the conferences were represented. Yes, the Big 12 lacks elite teams besides Baylor, but the mid-level teams in the Big 12 are almost universally better than their counterparts in the American.

Yes Baylor demolished Kansas. That Kansas team is easily the worst in the conference, but would still be favored to beat 7 teams in the American.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what more evidence you're looking for. Every metric I can find has the Big 12 as a top 4 conference, and the American at 8th or worse, with a large dropoff after the Power 5. There were only 6 head-to-head matchups that I could find, which is not nearly enough to determine much of anything, especially since only 8 of the 22 teams in the conferences were represented. Yes, the Big 12 lacks elite teams besides Baylor, but the mid-level teams in the Big 12 are almost universally better than their counterparts in the American.

Yes Baylor demolished Kansas. That Kansas team is easily the worst in the conference, but would still be favored to beat 7 teams in the American.
Again, all distinctions without a difference. Baylor might as well be in the AAC.

(Not sure how you can assert with confidence that they're "easily" the worst in the conference, when the Massey Bible has them only one spot behind K-State.)

Reaction Score
Again, all distinctions without a difference. Baylor might as well be in the AAC.

(Not sure how you can assert with confidence that they're "easily" the worst in the conference, when the Massey Bible has them only one spot behind K-State.)
Usually you're all over the metrics on stuff like this. I'm not sure why you are so set on this one. I would be more receptive if there was a single metric that supported this, but it's just not there. Massey, Her Hoop Stats, even RPI all show the same thing. The Big 12 has 6 or so teams in the top 60, the American has 1. The Big 12 has 9 teams in the top 100, the American has at best 5. The Big 12 has 1 team outside the top 100, the American has 7. Yes, both leagues have one elite team that generally cuts through the rest, and UConn would likely go undefeated in the Big 12 if they switched places, but it would not be nearly as easy as it has typically been for UConn in the American.

As for Kansas, the Massey power rating has Kansas State a good bit better, and Kansas State beat them in Lawrence pretty handily. I'll admit I applied a little eye test on that, since I think Kansas State has improved throughout the season, while Kansas has stagnated since they got past their cupcake non-conference slate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom