Kamilla Cardoso ?? | The Boneyard

Kamilla Cardoso ??

Reaction Score
Now that Gusters is gone, is there any indication that Geno and CD will look at Kamilla ??? I'm being curious here...

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
The Courant's Doug Bonjour:

On the recruiting trail: Auriemma recently traveled to watch 6-4 Irving MacArthur (Texas) forward Hannah Gusters, the No. 7 ranked player in the Class of 2020 by ESPN. He also checked in on the No. 8 player in that year’s class, 6-6 forward Kamilla Cardoso out of Hamilton Heights Christian Academy (Tenn.).

Auriemma: Collier the ‘perfect player’ to be UConn’s post quarterback
Jasmine Lister just started following two new Instagram accounts:

Kamilla Cardoso.

Lattasha Lattimore, Canadian 2021 and Crestwood High teammate of Aaliyah Edwards.
Should be noted that they've been recruiting Cardoso all the time they were recruiting Gusters. I don't know when the recruitment of Okosun began, but it wasn't an either/or with Gusters and Cardoso.

They've been on the trail.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
All indications are that is already happening. While I don’t put much stock in the accuracy of posts from VolNation, it’s worth mentioning that several months back a poster on VN suggested that Cardoso was a “UConn lean.”

While she’s from TN, the pull of the LVs is not what it once was. Let’s see what happens.

Reaction Score
Has Kamilla, ever participated in U/17, U/16 USA Basketball tryouts?

Reaction Score
A few things on Cardoso:
1. A few programs recruiting her: UConn, Oregon, South Carolina, Mississippi State, Louisville, Tennessee, and others.
2. She already took an official to Mississippi State, and is very good friends with their 2019 commit Esmery Martinez.
3. She went to Hamilton Heights, which means she is also buddies with Massengill and Balogun, so they will make a push for their schools as well.
4. I think she visited Louisville prior to Balogun's arrival.
5. No one really knew UConn was recruiting her until Geno was in Chattanooga to see her earlier this year.
6. She is not very active on social media from a basketball standpoint, and not much news seems to cover her, so we may never really hear much until a commitment is made.

Reaction Score
Image result for kamilla cardoso stephanie soares

If she wants to bring Stephanie Soares along too...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yeah that won't be happening unless Treasure revises her list of finalists.
Treasure has been kind of blowing up lately between USA basketball 3 X 3 , EYBL and other All-star appearances. She might be worth a second UCONN look. UCONN will graduate 5 players next year surely there is room on the roster for a big wing. UCONN snagged Aubrey Griffin very late into the recruiting process.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
While she’s from TN, the pull of the LVs is not what it once was. Let’s see what happens.

As others have mentioned, she goes to school in TN, but is from Brasil. If memory serves, she's a Mineira, from the state of Minas Gerais.

image.jpeg

"A mineira Kamilla Soares Cardoso Silva, de Montes Claros, está chamando a atenção nos EUA. Com apenas 17 anos e 2 metros de altura, a pivô brasileira atualmente estuda e joga pela Hamilton Heights Christian Academy, uma High School na cidade de Chattanooga, no estado do Tenneesse. A jovem foi considerada umas das três melhores jogadoras dos EUA nessa temporada em sua categoria, segundo a ESPN."

When she arrived in the U.S. in 2016, she apparently couldn't understand a word of English. "Kamilla desembarcou nos EUA em agosto de 2016. Ela lembra que o começo foi difícil, pois não sabia falar inglês. “No começo foi muito difícil pelo fato de todo mundo falar inglês e eu não entender nada do que estavam falando, mas depois eu comecei a aprender a língua aos poucos até que me adaptei. A minha maior dificuldade era realmente a comunicação com as pessoas."

Kamilla arrived in the U.S. in August of 2016. She remembers a difficult beginning, as she couldn't speak English. 'At first it was very difficult because everyone spoke English and I didn't understand a word, but later I began to learn it...and I adapted. My biggest problem was realy communicating with people.'"

There is a good story here: Mineira de Montes Claros, Kamilla Soares se destaca no basquete dos EUA

It's in PT BR (Brazilian Portuguese), but google translate shouldn't mangle too much of it.

A fun aside--the article describes her as a leading "pivô". In Brasil, that's basquete, or basketball, jargon for post. A formal dictionary translation follow:

pivô
[piˈvo]
masculine noun
1. (technical) pivot
2. (figurative) central figure, prime mover

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Image result for kamilla cardoso stephanie soares

If she wants to bring Stephanie Soares along too...

I’m sure that is a “package deal” Geno would welcome and gladly facilitate. It would also allay the fears and concerns of the chicken littles and nervous Nellies here among the Boneyard faithful. It would sure make me feel better, and forget about all of the other bigs we missed out on. I can picture BOTH of them in a UConn uniform. What a beautiful pair of bookends they would make. :) Oh that the basketball Gods would smile down upon our program with these two. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As others have mentioned, she goes to school in TN, but is from Brasil. If memory serves, she's a Mineira, from the state of Minas Gerais.

View attachment 43415

"A mineira Kamilla Soares Cardoso Silva, de Montes Claros, está chamando a atenção nos EUA. Com apenas 17 anos e 2 metros de altura, a pivô brasileira atualmente estuda e joga pela Hamilton Heights Christian Academy, uma High School na cidade de Chattanooga, no estado do Tenneesse. A jovem foi considerada umas das três melhores jogadoras dos EUA nessa temporada em sua categoria, segundo a ESPN."

When she arrived in the U.S. in 2016, she apparently couldn't understand a word of English. "Kamilla desembarcou nos EUA em agosto de 2016. Ela lembra que o começo foi difícil, pois não sabia falar inglês. “No começo foi muito difícil pelo fato de todo mundo falar inglês e eu não entender nada do que estavam falando, mas depois eu comecei a aprender a língua aos poucos até que me adaptei. A minha maior dificuldade era realmente a comunicação com as pessoas."

Kamilla arrived in the U.S. in August of 2016. She remembers a difficult beginning, as she couldn't speak English. 'At first it was very difficult because everyone spoke English and I didn't understand a word, but later I began to learn it...and I adapted. My biggest problem was realy communicating with people.'"

There is a good story here: Mineira de Montes Claros, Kamilla Soares se destaca no basquete dos EUA

It's in PT BR, but google translate shouldn't mangle too much of it.

Thanks Sifaka, I knew very little about Kamilla,

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

View attachment 43415

It's in PT BR, but google translate shouldn't mangle too much of it.
Geno should have the whole South American recruiting thing down. There was that recruit who’s mother and father moved to the U.S. from Argentina. Kid from Chino, CA. She wasn’t half bad....;)

Reaction Score
Not really a big but I think Reese will be the next player to pick UConn. She’s a hybrid 4/3, with a questionable motor, but she normally plays good during the summer, which could be for a number of reasons. She’s a strong rebounder and could be a starter at UConn by her Sophomore year. She reminds me of Charde Huston a player with a lot of potential but maybe a bit of a project.

Reaction Score
Treasure has been kind of blowing up lately between USA basketball 3 X 3 , EYBL and other All-star appearances. She might be worth a second UCONN look. UCONN will graduate 5 players next year surely there is room on the roster for a big wing. UCONN snagged Aubrey Griffin very late into the recruiting process.

Last year ESPN aired National Girls High School Game which had
Hamilton Heights Christian Academy (TN) vs Central Valley H.S. (WA)
Hamilton Heights, Featured Jazmine Massengill (Tenn), Central Valley Featured, Lexie & Lacie Hull (Stan).

It was a very competitive game in which the stars from both teams showed up and showed out. Treasure Hunt, really stood out as a Sophomore with her all around game. Cardosa, who I believe they listed as a freshman didn't do much offensively, but she stood out to me because of how mobile she was for her size.

I think Cardosa & Hunt, have strong ties to players in Tennessee and Mississippi St. programs, that will make it a uphill battle for UCONN.

Reaction Score
Not really a big but I think Reese will be the next player to pick UConn. She’s a hybrid 4/3, with a questionable motor, but she normally plays good during the summer, which could be for a number of reasons. She’s a strong rebounder and could be a starter at UConn by her Sophomore year. She reminds me of Charde Huston a player with a lot of potential but maybe a bit of a project.

I think Reese and Aubrey would be great fit together.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Last year ESPN aired National Girls High School Game which had
Hamilton Heights Christian Academy (TN) vs Central Valley H.S. (WA)
Hamilton Heights, Featured Jazmine Massengill (Tenn), Central Valley Featured, Lexie & Lacie Hull (Stan).
It was a very competitive game in which the stars from both teams showed up and showed out. Treasure Hunt, really stood out as a Sophomore with her all around game. Cardosa, who I believe they listed as a freshman didn't do much offensively, but she stood out to me because of how mobile she was for her size.
I think Cardosa & Hunt, have strong ties to players in Tennessee and Mississippi St. programs, that will make it a uphill battle for UCONN.
Last year was Hamilton Heights Christian Academy second consecutive time playing in that ESPN tournament. I think is Dicks' Nationals now and formerly ESPN Rise tournament. I came away not impressed by Cardosa in both years. Massengill had her moments both years but the best player for HHCA both years was Balugon who went to Georgia Tech and transferred to Louisville. As I have written before Cardosa was not even the best post in those games Martinez headed to Mississippi State was the best post player. HHCA simply did not take advantage of Cardosa size and she appears to be having similar issues on AAU circuit. When she comes to UCONN that issue will be resolved in her first pickup game because Paige & Nika will get her the ball exactly where she wants it and can be most effective.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have a similar view and possiblity a different priority/wish list across the next two classes.
Post (5/4) (Cardosa, DeBerry)
Power Forward (4/3) Bessior, Cochran, Reese, Hollingshead, Lattimore
Small Forward 3
(Edwards, Daniels, Demetre
SG (Fudd, Rivers, Marshall, Bigby, Citron )
PG (Miles)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom