Kalkbrenner vs Sanogo | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kalkbrenner vs Sanogo

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I don't know if you know this or not, but people are responding to this video at the 25 minute mark when Kalkbrenner is talking trash about UConn and Sanogo:

I know that angered people on this board, but I loved it as love and hatred builds an exciting and entertaining rivalry. The worst is when there is indifference and apathy playing the likes of Tulsa, Tulane, ECU and being lousy like in 2017 and 2018.

Has he developed his game over the last three years? That's a lot of talk for someone who seems to just rim run

Reaction Score
This is REALLY weird to say about a player as good defensively as Ryan Kalkbrenner, but McDermott left him on an island today.

Last year Creighton had 2 defenders on Sanogo and begged somebody else to score. Sanogo got to go 1v1 for most of this game and absolutely ate Kalkbrenner alive. I guess it’s harder to guard when you have to do it alone. Who would have thought?

Kalkbrenner struggled against our drop coverage as well. He had the one alley oop and1 against Clingan but otherwise was contained the entire game. No free rim runs like last year
McDermott has such a great reputation, especially here b/c he beat us five straight, but that was coaching malpractice today letting Sanogo operate in comfort. He gets bothered by help defense(as does everyone) but he doesn't pass well out of it, and outside of Hawkins and to a lesser extent Newton no one else could score today so how much downside was there really to providing more help.

Reaction Score
McDermott has such a great reputation, especially here b/c he beat us five straight, but that was coaching malpractice today letting Sanogo operate in comfort. He gets bothered by help defense(as does everyone) but he doesn't pass well out of it, and outside of Hawkins and to a lesser extent Newton no one else could score today so how much downside was there really to providing more help.
Yep. If I’m Baylor Scheierman I’m doubling Sanogo every time he touches the ball and daring AJax to launch threes.

Credit to the entire offense though. Scheierman was hovering Sanogo in the second half, and Sanogo was patient to let the rest of the guys move enough off ball to force their defenders back onto the perimeter. That gave Sanogo the space to go to work

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Yep. If I’m Baylor Scheierman I’m doubling Sanogo every time he touches the ball and daring AJax to launch threes.

Credit to the entire offense though. Scheierman was hovering Sanogo in the second half, and Sanogo was patient to let the rest of the guys move enough off ball to force their defenders back onto the perimeter. That gave Sanogo the space to go to work
If that's the case, Hurley has to have to Jackson initiate the offense and put hawkins, karaban/whoever, Newton, on the perimeter.

Yeah, in the second half, Jackson would see what Scheirerman would do with Sanogo and then allow Sanogo to work one-on-one. It looked like Jackson would dump the ball in, wait in the lane, and then move the other side of Sanogo bringing Scheireman with him

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
He also looked exhausted in the second half. When Sanogo plays like he did and then we can throw Clingan out there, it's going to make any offense big exhausted. Nunge was exhausted too but his a much more skilled player than Kalkbrenner so he didn't have to bang down low as much. If we can run and dump it into Sanogo, it seems as if the bigs on the opposing teams can't hang. The waves we throw at them should work more and more as the season goes on

Reaction Score
If that's the case, Hurley has to have to Jackson initiate the offense and put hawkins, karaban/whoever, Newton, on the perimeter.

Yeah, in the second half, Jackson would see what Scheirerman would do with Sanogo and then allow Sanogo to work one-on-one. It looked like Jackson would dump the ball in, wait in the lane, and then move the other side of Sanogo bringing Scheireman with him

it seemed like the adjustment that hurley made in this game was to intentionally bring jackson into the "dunker's spot" while adama posted up, daring baylor to double and give up a wide-open drop off or offensive rebound. kind of counter-intuitive, but it may have actually given adama MORE space to work.

Reaction Score
“They were saying some stuff,” Sanogo said. “If you know me, you know I take stuff personal.”

“Adama had the extra motivation coming into the game over things that were said about him at some point,” Hurley said. “That was played. And discussed, and he made his statement on the court.”

Alternate free link:

Creighton brings out the ‘grizzly bear’ in UConn’s Adama Sanogo, who scored 26 points in a much-needed victory

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For those of you who think the comments didn’t matter, give a listen to Hurley’s press conference. Apparently he did and so did Adama:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sorry to bump this thread but I didn’t see a better place to put this. Is it me, or is Kalk featured prominently in the video below?

:D

Reaction Score
Sorry to bump this thread but I didn’t see a better place to put this. Is it me, or is Kalk featured prominently in the video below?

:D

Over a third of our points came from his defense getting ripped apart. I guess it naturally makes sense he’s featured more than anyone else :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I would say this: He could perform better against Sanogo in a future game, wouldn’t surprise.

Reaction Score
it seemed like the adjustment that hurley made in this game was to intentionally bring jackson into the "dunker's spot" while adama posted up, daring baylor to double and give up a wide-open drop off or offensive rebound. kind of counter-intuitive, but it may have actually given adama MORE space to work.
It's a good adjustment by the staff. Andre isn't a great perimeter spacer, but he's a good vertical spacer.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Sanogo did what good players should do, and what we hoped he would: he used Kalkbrenner's comments as motivation to raise his level of performance. Also, credit Hurley with using it as a tool to motivate Sanogo and the Huskies. Usually coaches tell their players not to pay attention to social media or media in general, but there are exceptions.

Reaction Score
It's a good adjustment by the staff. Andre isn't a great perimeter spacer, but he's a good vertical spacer.
It could be the most important adjustment of the season. It will win us a lot of games down the stretch as long as it allows Adama to be Adama.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom