Kaleena Stats | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Kaleena Stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

JS

Reaction Score
The kids and their families read these boards.
You're quite correct on that, Rady. We know that they do.

That doesn't mean we're going to suppress opinions, including those critical of the players, that they might not like, as long as those opinions are expressed respectfully and within the rules.

And we're surely not going to allow vigilante suppression by other posters via any sort of attack posts.

We'll be happy to discuss this with anyone who cares to drop us (HuskyNan, Biff or me) a PM. As stated in the rules, we're less receptive to debating the wisdom of board policy on the board, including with the individual whose post was just deleted.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If Bgillon walked up to Kaleena and said, "You're overweight", he would be rude. However, posting that he thinks Kaleena is overweight on a fan forum is not. It is also not a personal attack. It's an adjective that some here object to when applied to Kaleena but it is also a discussion point. Feel free to discuss but with civility, please.
[Mod edit. By PM please.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
You're quite correct on that, Rady. We know that they do.

That doesn't mean we're going to suppress opinions, including those critical of the players, that they might not like, as long as those opinions are expressed respectfully and within the rules.

And we're surely not going to allow vigilante suppression by other posters via any sort of attack posts.

We'll be happy to discuss this with anyone who cares to drop us (HuskyNan, Biff or me) a PM. As stated in the rules, we're less receptive to debating the wisdom of board policy on the board, including with the individual whose post was just deleted.

[Mod Edit. Please read the last paragraph of the post to which you're responding.]

Last edited by a moderator:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Sorry, but I think that it is rude anywhere and as long as a name is attached to it is a personal attack. You don't think it would be a attack if you were attacked by name on the web?

Sorry, but context and circumstances to matter - in fact, I think they often matter as much or more than the message.

For a point of reference, here is Bgillon's post from 11/26 that phil was referring to when he said earlier "you said that" with respect to the 'overweight' issue:

"We strive to have equality with regard to the treatment of men and women. That's fine until someone comments on a woman BB player appearing to be overweight. Then people want to jump to the woman's defense but not on a performance basis."

If a post like this is considered a personal attack on KML, then in my opinion you're setting a very low bar.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
As I said naming changes everything. I believe in living by the Netiquette rule that used to apply here that if you wouldn't say it to the person's face then don't say. Attaching a name to something is an incredibly personal thing. That sensitivity goes all the way back to the ancient laws on defamation, including why Israel and certain Jewish communities to this day will not speak the name of G-d or even spell it out.

Reaction Score
All I know (and it's a decent amount) is 1. a person's struggle with their weight is no one's business, no matter the business unless it effects their job performance and their boss (who's paying the bills) has an issue (then only the boss is allowed to make it his/her business) and 2. no matter what her weight, when KML isn't here next year swishing 3s left, right, and center, 99.9% of this board is gonna be wishing she was still around.
It's not that I disagree with you...I do not. But did KML share with you that she is experiencing a "struggle" with her weight? It's my perception that she's pretty comfortable in her own skin, and is similarly comfortable with her body image (as am I) irrespective of what others think.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
My Mother taught me that if I was not willing to say it to the person face to face I shouldn't be willing to spread it behind their back.

Would you be willing to yell from the stands "you're overweight, move your feet," etc!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
My Mother taught me that if I was not willing to say it to the person face to face I shouldn't be willing to spread it behind their back.

Would you be willing to yell from the stands "you're overweight, move your feet," etc!
That is exactly the Netiquette stance under the links at the top of the front page.

JS

Reaction Score
That is exactly the Netiquette stance under the links at the top of the front page.
Netiquette is fine but consists of rules of thumb. It's advisory, and you're free to follow it for yourself. You're not free to impose your interpretation of it, or a rigid view of it regardless of context, on others.

Netiquette also says attack the post, not the poster. Yet we've had practitioners of post policing long since finding ways to respect the letter of that but not the spirit, especially in attacking people whose opinions they don't like. ("I didn't call you a moron. I said stop putting up moronic posts.")

A more powerful thing Netiquette says, IMO, is don't tell others how to post. It's our job, as mods, to decide what's appropriate for the board and within the rules and what isn't.

In doing that job, BTW, we much appreciate PMs and Reported Posts, as we can't be here reading everything every second. That board citizenship route is much preferable to calling someone out yourself.

Anyway, thanks to Mike DiMauro we've now had two threads on the subject of KML's weight that brought the post policing issue into acute focus, though we've actually been working on it for longer than most people may have noticed.

I warned at the beginning that this would turn into yet another joust about what can be said here rather than a discussion of the ostensible topic.

The admin stated a little earlier that it's OK on this forum to discuss, civilly, the topic of player weight. That's the policy. To reiterate, we're not going to have a big public debate on board policy. PM us if you like. We won't be going down this road again in another thread started by the partisans on either side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom