Kalana Greene to be honored tonight | The Boneyard

Kalana Greene to be honored tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
From Jim Fuller:

"Before the game Charleston's AIAW powerhouse teams in the early 1980s will be recognized as will Kalana Greene, the only player from South Carolina to suit up for the Huskies and other dignitaries with ties to South Carolina."

LINK

Reaction Score
From Jim Fuller:

" Kalana Greene, the only player from South Carolina to suit up for the Huskies."

Who knew? How lucky we were to get her!

I remember her story about Geno sitting on her living room couch and asking, "Do you want to win a national championship?" And she did!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Who knew? How lucky we were to get her!

I remember her story about Geno sitting on her living room couch and asking, "Do you want to win a national championship?" And she did!
Indeed. Two even! Mighta been three if we'd had her in 2008.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I wish I would have been following UCONN basketball closely when Kalana was just coming in. I would have loved to see her before the knee injury, as a basis for comparison. I know she has often said that it forced her to get better in other ways, but Geno's program is pretty grueling anyway and I'm sure she would have made extraordinary progress as a player just the same, without the injury.

From what I have heard and read here on the BY, I would wager that a healthy KG would have been a likely 2nd team AA by her junior or senior year. KG herself has been quoted as saying she definitely lost a step from a purely physical standpoint, and what I saw in her last couple of years was awfully impressive. She must have been a truly amazing athlete coming in.

So thankful we have Kelly Faris, who, although a slightly different style of player on the court from KG, makes similar contributions. (KF a better rebounder down low and KG probably a little better at containing perimeter players, although neither player is a slouch in either area. I have eternal respect for both of these young women.)

Besides the AA scoring types that most championship teams have, what really makes up a championship team is when you have at least one player like a KF or a KG. Extraordinary players who seldom have big offensive stats but are invaluable in countless ways.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I wish I would have been following UCONN basketball closely when Kalana was just coming in. I would have loved to see her before the knee injury, as a basis for comparison. I know she has often said that it forced her to get better in other ways, but Geno's program is pretty grueling anyway and I'm sure she would have made extraordinary progress as a player just the same, without the injury.

From what I have heard and read here on the BY, I would wager that a healthy KG would have been a likely 2nd team AA by her junior or senior year. KG herself has been quoted as saying she definitely lost a step from a purely physical standpoint, and what I saw in her last couple of years was awfully impressive. She must have been a truly amazing athlete coming in.

So thankful we have Kelly Faris, who, although a slightly different style of player on the court from KG, makes similar contributions. (KF a better rebounder down low and KG probably a little better at containing perimeter players, although neither player is a slouch in either area. I have eternal respect for both of these young women.)

Besides the AA scoring types that most championship teams have, what really makes up a championship team is when you have at least one player like a KF or a KG. Extraordinary players who seldom have big offensive stats but are invaluable in countless ways.
When KG was a frosh (I believe), we were just hammered by Ivory Latta and a very athletic UNC team. We has maybe only 1 player who could compete with the Tar Heels from an athletic perspective, and it was Kalana.

The competiton may not have been great, but Kalana nearly averaged a quadruple-double in her sophomore year of high school.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Congrats to K-Bear. She has come a long way from that small town in South Carolina where Geno came to visit and his GPS told him he was in the middle of nowhere--right at Kalana's house.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Loved the alligator story even if it wasn't true. Plus I loved kalana's response when asked if Geno had made up the story. It was, essentially, "Coach make up a story, noob, he'd never do that." Then she cracked up laughing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom