K M L Vs. G A... | The Boneyard

K M L Vs. G A...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Great stuff from John A

jaltavilla Interestingly, #GenoAuriemma was saying #KML has a tendency "to pout" if things don't go well for her.
jaltavilla Geno was saying that if he tells #KML she did something wrong, he'll often see her huddling with another coach to discuss matters..
jaltavilla This tendency in #KML, which is not usual for young players, was brought to his attention by #JenRizzotti after #USABasketball
jaltavilla Geno said #KML needs to stop "running for mayor" referencing her need to build public sentiment for her positions
jaltavilla More from #GenoAuriemma on #KML "I told her the other day, `the last smartass I had from California (Diana Taurasi) was a lot better player"
jaltavilla More on #KML: "And I benched her [#DianaTaurasi] butt. And you’re going to get the same treatment if you don’t shape up.’" He was laughing

Should be a very interesting dynamic for the next 4 years...! Like Geno says, she's much more like #3 than #23!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A very interesting dynamic, indeed. I could be fun. KML needs to know where to draw the line, but she's a smart kid, so she should be fine. Geno can relate and should appreciate her personality.

Maya was anything but a wiseass.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
That wise-ass was a major reason UConn won three NC's during her four years at UConn. And then was asked to write the intro to his book.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think Geno relates better to players that are just as smartass as he is...not that he and Maya didn't get along, obviously they did, but it is probably a lot more fun for him to make fun of kids like Diana and KML than Maya.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Geno relates better to players that are just as smartass as he is...not that he and Maya didn't get along, obviously they did, but it is probably a lot more fun for him to make fun of kids like Diana and KML than Maya.
Coach wants to make sure the kids understand that he is the Head Smartass.

Reaction Score
Coach wants to make sure the kids understand that he is the Head Smartass.

IMHO, players with huge upsides in potentiial choose to play for UConn for a number of reasons, most of which BYs appear to be in agreement with.

But IMHO, few players have chosen UConn because the head coach is the "Head Smartass."

It seems to me that there are major risks ahead for KML, Coach A and the team if this apparent communications problem isn't resolved. Neither the team nor the program needs another Transfer.

I maybe wrong about this. But I seriously doubt it.

These are, of course, just my opinions.

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score
The only part of her game that needs help is her toughness and Geno will give her the best life lessons she ever got in her 18 years........Tough love.........Geno knows she is very special and that toughness will allow UCONN Championships.

Reaction Score
IMHO, players with huge upsides in potentiial choose to play for UConn for a number of reasons, most of which BYs appear to be in agreement with.

But IMHO, few players have chosen UConn because the head coach is the "Head Smartass."

It seems to me that there are major risks ahead for KML, Coach A and the team if this apparent communications problem isn't resolved. Neither the team nor the program needs another Transfer.

Peace,

John Fryer

John:

The only major risks are the ones Geno had with Diana. Which are none. He is always in control and is a master motivator. His style, which I do not think is smart ass, is to get the most out of each player depending on their personality.

He has been pretty successful with multiple all americans.

No need to worry John.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
The only part of her game that needs help is her toughness and Geno will give her the best life lessons she ever got in her 18 years........Tough love.........Geno knows she is very special and that toughness will allow UCONN Championships.

Peace,

John Fryer

Peace,

John Fryer

Do not worry, Mr. Fryer.

Geno has been handing out HUGE COMPLIMENTS to Kaleena in very public forums for the past month (something he seldom does for freshmen). He loves her game. And he loves her personality. She is an extraordinary team leader. And an extraordinary person.

Kaleena has been very active in recruiting the current freshmen at UConn, and the recruits who are coming to UConn from the high school classes of 2012 and 2013. There is no way she is going to bail out of the UConn program, or get in a funk because Geno needles her occasionally.

Kaleena came to UConn because she has known for a long time that the UConn coaching staff (led byGeno and CD) will help her more than any other coaches in the country to become the best player she can be.

Geno is pushing Kaleena to improve her handling of adversity. I assure you he has discussed this in private with her, and she appreciates his help. The "smart ass" stuff is just for public humor.

Kaleena said after the game that it was one of the most exciting moments of her life to step out on the floor in a UConn Uniform ---- the fulfillment of a dream she has had since she was 10 years old. She has been training incredibly hard
every day since she arrived in Storrs.

Kaleena is a consummate TEAM player. She ain't going to jump ship anytime before hell freezes over.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
What Geno wants for Kaleena to do is stop the campaigning and dragging others in between the two of them and triangulating the communication process. He wants her to stand on the power of her own convictions and to trust herself without dragging in others. He wants her to be emotionally mature and strong.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
OC, as usual, is spot-on. KML is a team player and has helped in recruiting. The one area where she might need help is when things do not go well. Geno will help her with that. No more pouting.

Reaction Score
I just love KML; she is a coach's dream player. She will do what ever is necessary for the team to be successful. As other posters have said, KML is a team player, as well as a very talented player. What she will learn, as other great players have learned, is that Geno is usually right.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
OC and Ice are right....Kaleena knew what she was getting when she decided on UConn (the best) and Geno wants her to stand on her own two feet - not a problem...I give it a month or two before she is giving as good as she gets.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
What Geno wants for Kaleena to do is stop the campaigning and dragging others in between the two of them and triangulating the communication process. He wants her to stand on the power of her own convictions and to trust herself without dragging in others. He wants her to be emotionally mature and strong.

It makes me wonder what the political dynamic was like among the coaches at Mater Dei. Her head coach must not have been very 'old school' to let her bend the ear of the assistants when politicking.

Still, I think it's funny more than anything....

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It makes me wonder what the political dynamic was like among the coaches at Mater Dei. Her head coach must not have been very 'old school' to let her bend the ear of the assistants when politicking.

Still, I think it's funny more than anything....
Good observation.

Reaction Score
I enjoy little stories between players and coach but this latest one between KML and Coach butting heads over the champion smart-ass seems in bad taste to me. Here I am still learning who these new players are and I find myself drawn into sensitive issues that might be appropriate between long term relationships. I sure don't want to limit what people should say or report yet I feel this issue would have been much better if it hadn't been made public. I'm not saying it shouldn't happen but maybe this one belongs privately between themselves for the better good of all. Maybe John and Geno went to far here. I think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom