JWS: UConn Commit Ayanna Patterson Soars Above Social Media Trolls | The Boneyard

JWS: UConn Commit Ayanna Patterson Soars Above Social Media Trolls

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

“But with her reach expected to grow as she joins UConn this fall, the 5-star recruit and No. 4-ranked player in the Class of 2022 knows the unsolicited judgment and ugly comments could only intensify.

“As a dad, obviously, you don’t like it; it hurts. People can say mean things,” her father, Andre Patterson said, noting that people have left negative social media comments about her hair, her height and her strength. “She lifts weights and she likes doing that. What’s wrong with that? She’s just in shape, she’s passionate about her sport and she wants to be the best at it.”

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

“But with her reach expected to grow as she joins UConn this fall, the 5-star recruit and No. 4-ranked player in the Class of 2022 knows the unsolicited judgment and ugly comments could only intensify.

“As a dad, obviously, you don’t like it; it hurts. People can say mean things,” her father, Andre Patterson said, noting that people have left negative social media comments about her hair, her height and her strength. “She lifts weights and she likes doing that. What’s wrong with that? She’s just in shape, she’s passionate about her sport and she wants to be the best at it.”
The clowns with the 19th century sensibility of how a woman “should” act and look are destined to be unhappy. Women are starting to recognize that it not our responsibility to please men.

You go, Ayanna! The only person you need to please is yourself and those whose opinions you chose to care about.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I really don't know why THIS is even a story. :eek: Haters gonna hate. Jealous trolls are are always going to be under foot trying to bring someone down. As I said today in another thread, UConn (Ayanna) does not need anyone's permission to be who they are or she is. She's not in this world to live up to anyone's expectations (other than her parents). Their perception of her DOES NOT have to be her reality.

Haters tried to do the same thing to Olympic gymnast Simone Biles a few years back., making rude and snide comments about her hair. She got the last laugh. She's a multi-millionaire now, has numerous Olympic gold medals, and is engaged to an up and coming NFL player with the Houston Texans. Biles is considered by many to be the best Olympic gymnast of all time. :D

There are a lot of female BB players young and old that wish they had the hops and athleticism (and future) she has. She's on her way to the WNBA for sure. 1st round draft pick is my guess. She's just stopping off at Storrs for 4 years to hone her skills, learn how to play UConn WCBB from the master, and graduate from CD's finishing school for girls. ;)

Ayanna must understand that since she has committed to play for UConn, she has amassed millions of new fans and followers all across the country who can't wait to see her play. I'm one of her BIGGEST fans. I'm sitting on the front row of her cheering section with two large pom-poms and a BIG box of popcorn.

There's an old saying that I think fits here: "Lions are not concerned about the opinions of sheep." Whether people like her or not is NOT her problem, it's theirs. You go girl. You've got a nation of millions rooting for you and supporting you, and we ALL have your back!!! ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This says volumes about Ayanna - from her Twitter page:

“I never want to be remembered as just this great basketball player,” Patterson said. “I want to be remembered throughout my community as a great person, great individual."

Carnac

Reaction Score
This says volumes about Ayanna - from her Twitter page:

“I never want to be remembered as just this great basketball player,” Patterson said. “I want to be remembered throughout my community as a great person, great individual."
Right!! She'll fit right in at UConn. :D

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I really don't know why THIS is even a story. :eek: Haters gonna hate. Jealous trolls are are always going to be under foot trying to bring someone down. As I said today in another thread, UConn (Ayanna) does not need anyone's permission to be who they are or she is. She's not in this world to live up to anyone's expectations (other than her parents). Their perception of her DOES NOT have to be her reality.

Haters tried to do the same thing to Olympic gymnast Simone Biles a few years back., making rude and snide comments about her hair. She got the last laugh. She's a multi-millionaire now, has numerous Olympic gold medals, and is engaged to an up and coming NFL player with the Houston Texans. Biles is considered by many to be the best Olympic gymnast of all time. :D

There are a lot of female BB players young and old that wish they had the hops and athleticism (and future) she has. She's on her way to the WNBA for sure. 1st round draft pick is my guess. She's just stopping off at Storrs for 4 years to hone her skills, learn how to play UConn WCBB from the master, and graduate from CD's finishing school for girls. ;)

Ayanna must understand that since she has committed to play for UConn, she has amassed millions of new fans and followers all across the country who can't wait to see her play. I'm one of her BIGGEST fans. I'm sitting on the front row of her cheering section with two large pom-poms and a BIG box of popcorn.

There's an old saying that I think fits here: "Lions are not concerned about the opinions of sheep." Whether people like her or not is NOT her problem, it's theirs. You go girl. You've got a nation of millions rooting for you and supporting you, and we ALL have your back!!! ;)
Carnac, you have said many wise and thoughtful things. None have been more on point than this post in regard to Ayanna and women competing in BB or any forum. For me this is the post of the year and means so much more than the score of any game or the outcome of any tournament. I hope many young ladies have a chance to see your words.

Reaction Score

Each of those negative comment is high praise. Those presenting this negativigy are unhappy she didn't chose their school because they knew she is a \'difference\' maker. If she were a not so or a nothing player she'd see no negativity. Sometimes high praise in the form of negativism is hard for an older adult to take. Young ladies such as this must think the world hates her. THEY DON"T. Here we don't hate kids for their school choices.

Reaction Score

The Bold above are words so true. I believe, these "haters" are just disgruntled because their school didn't get her. To me, since I don't have to feel the hate, this is high praise meaning her talent is that huge those "fans" know what they shall miss.\

Thanks Carnac for putting the proper spin on a nasty, disgusting, message this fine lady must endure.
If I found people writing this about my young ladies--I'd need satisfaction of some sort.

Reaction Score
Ayanna, we all here at the Boneyard welcome you to UConn Womens Basketball and hope you fuflill all of your potential as a Basketball player and a person.

Carnac

Reaction Score
A short video from a little over a year ago when she was player of the week - she probably had a lot of those. :)

I swear in the open court she is so reminiscent of Dr J:

You too?!? I’ve made that observation here several times. Dr J was something to be seen on TV. He was much more dynamic and exciting to see in person.

You always got your money’s worth when you went to the Forum to see the “showtime” Lakers, and you got your money’s worth when the Doctor came to town. It was always worth the time, money, and effort it took to see them/him. Dominic Wilkins always put on a show too when he came to town.

Being an Eastern Division team, the 76’ers only came to LA once a year. That game was always sold out months ahead. Patterson like Azzi and Paige will be “must see” for UConn next year.

Reaction Score
I lived in Denver for a good chunk of the 1970's and 80's. I saw the Dr. a couple of times playing the Nuggets. Just incredible. I saw David Thompson at his peak - dynamic player - witnessed him do a flying dunk over Kareem one night, needless to say, that roof almost came off the building.

Reaction Score
Great post. I couldn't help also to notice everywhere she is referred to be 6'3". Nice. One reason UConn has been so good for so long is that they recruit high character players.

Reaction Score
Just noticed this cool pic on my twitter feed:

Attachments

• Ayanna .jpeg
    Ayanna .jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 160

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You too?!? I’ve made that observation here several times. Dr J was something to be seen on TV. He was much more dynamic and exciting to see in person.

You always got your money’s worth when you went to the Forum to see the “showtime” Lakers, and you got your money’s worth when the Doctor came to town. It was always worth the time, money, and effort it took to see them/him. Dominic Wilkins always put on a show too when he came to town.

Being an Eastern Division team, the 76’ers only came to LA once a year. That game was always sold out months ahead. Patterson like Azzi and Paige will be “must see” for UConn next year.
Ayanna doesn't quite have the quickness Doc had on his second jump, and she doesn't long stride like J. Her shot is prettier than J's, although it isn't pretty, and it isn't close to perfect. Also J had those incredible hands, which is why he had such a variety around the rim and could do such crazy stuff. But yes, I see the similarities in the open court and the way she shields the ball with her body on layups...and that 'Fro helps.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Ayanna doesn't quite have the quickness Doc had on his second jump, and she doesn't long stride like J. Her shot is prettier than J's, although it isn't pretty, and it isn't close to perfect. Also J had those incredible hands, which is why he had such a variety around the rim and could do such crazy stuff. But yes, I see the similarities in the open court and the way she shields the ball with her body on layups...and that 'Fro helps.
He has "Connie Hawkins" type hands. Michael Jordan also has LARGE hands. I once had the privilege and honor to shake hands with one of my favorite players, Oscar Robertson. My hand disappeared in his. That man had some very large hands for someone only 6'5". For those of you that don't know what we're referring to, go on YouTube and look at videos of Dr. J, Michael Jordan and their hands. They had no problem palming a basketball. Amazing. :eek: Also we're comparing a 17 year old girl with a full grown 22-27 year old man (during his hey-day) who does not have nearly the leg size and strength he had. But I get your drift.

1646450031258.png

Connie Hawkins

1646450488467.png

The largest hand sizes in NBA history :eek:

The 15 Largest Hand Sizes in NBA History

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
He has "Connie Hawkins" type hands. Michael Jordan also has LARGE hands. I once had the privilege and honor to shake hands with one of my favorite players, Oscar Robertson. My hand disappeared in his. That man had some very large hands for someone only 6'5". For those of you that don't know what we're referring to, go on YouTube and look at videos of Dr. J, Michael Jordan and their hands. They had no problem palming a basketball. Amazing. :eek: Also we're comparing a 17 year old girl with a full grown 22-27 year old man (during his hey-day) who does not have nearly the leg size and strength he had. But I get your drift.

View attachment 73980
Connie Hawkins

View attachment 73982
The largest hand sizes in NBA history :eek:

The 15 Largest Hand Sizes in NBA History

To put things in perspective, Rachmaninoff is reported to have a hand span of 12 inches. Which is why pianists dread the opening of his 2nd concerto and his entire 3rd concerto. Most have to either use alternate fingerings or leave out parts all together.

Reaction Score
The clowns with the 19th century sensibility of how a woman “should” act and look are destined to be unhappy. Women are starting to recognize that it not our responsibility to please men.

You go, Ayanna! The only person you need to please is yourself and those whose opinions you chose to care about.

Her attitude needs to be praised! Be an original! Be the best version of YOU every day!

Loved her father's comments.

Reaction Score

I saw her Dad, Andre Patterson, play basketball at New Mexico State. He was a beast getting rebounds for the Aggies. Teams learned don't mess with him. if his daughter plays anything like her Dad, UCONN has a BIG time star.⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom