Just what the team needed | The Boneyard

Just what the team needed

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
The game against UCF was one of the things this team needed, in my opinion. Come tournament time, unexpected defensive sets and offensive sets will be used against Connecticut in some way, shape, or form. Better to see this now than later, because not only do the players get a taste of what may be to come, but also the importance of having a really good point guard on the floor keeping the game under control.
A very positive sign, to me, was the minutes Megan got. I would believe she is beginning to get a little trust from the coaching staff,and the team needs that. My hopes are at least one more starts to understand and implement what is expected of them, and my guess would be, by tournament time, another young lady who sat out last year after transferring here will surprise us all.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The game against UCF was one of the things this team needed, in my opinion. Come tournament time, unexpected defensive sets and offensive sets will be used against Connecticut in some way, shape, or form. Better to see this now than later, because not only do the players get a taste of what may be to come, but also the importance of having a really good point guard on the floor keeping the game under control.
A very positive sign, to me, was the minutes Megan got. I would believe she is beginning to get a little trust from the coaching staff,and the team needs that. My hopes are at least one more starts to understand and implement what is expected of them, and my guess would be, by tournament time, another young lady who sat out last year after transferring here will surprise us all.

Agree. MW seeing the floor so much was the biggest + although maybe she is rethinking it :rolleyes:

upload_2018-2-8_6-39-10.png

Reaction Score
A lot of teams are going to be studying this game in detail.

I don't think it's anything opponents didn't know already.................teams that play that style will continue to, teams that are willing to all of a sudden change their entire style of play probably aren't doing themselves any favors in the end

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A lot of teams are going to be studying this game in detail.

Hopefully the Jets. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I think the first 3 Q was very good but they started to lose focus mentally when they started missing chippies. They also started to try to break the press with too much dribbling and the spacing was too close allowing a few take aways which really motivated UCF to go full out. That is not a recipe that would work for 4 Q but give UCF credit.

Reaction Score
Reminds me a lot of the game last year against Tulane. And of course Mississippi State. The template on how to play this group is out there. Geno put on a happy face last night during the presser. I'd love to know how he responds with the team behind the scenes, though. I don't think we'll be seeing much complacence heading into March. Plus we may well get another game with UCF at Mohegan Sun, and that would be a good thing.

But I agree, Megan was a real bright spot last night. Although she's still missing a few shots that should probably be going down at this point, her effort and intensity level was tremendous. Solid minutes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It wilkl be just what the team needed only if Geno & Co. can get the players to react in a positive way to it. We will know more against Louisville.

Reaction Score
Teams with more offensive power and talent than UCF like Mississippi State can keep the score close and possibly win if UConn had an average night. UConn seemed to miss a lot of layups and 3 feet shots when teams packed in tight in the paint. Mississippi State did last year except they can match us score for score throughout the game as the pressure to build a lead got to several players and they started missing easy shots.

This seems to be the formula to beat us. Geno prepared them well in the first half but the second half was something else. Everyone kind of lost their composure and played hectic basketball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
th
Inside UCF's locker room:

Coach: Great job, ladies! We only lost by 18 points, which should move us past South Carolina in next week's polls. As a reward, we're removing all of the baskets from our practice facility, but we are keeping the block and tackle equipment. Scoring is superfluous for our style of play.
And remember our credo: "Scoring is Boring & Winning is for Losers." Next time we play UConn, we'll try to keep them under 40, so our loss will be even smaller.

Closing cheer: "Beat 'em up, beat 'em up, bloody their nose! Bite 'em and punch 'em and rip up their clothes! Go, Knights!"

Reaction Score
It was an ugly game to watch, but games they may learn from usually are.
There were numerous issues to work on. I was more shocked by the amount of wide open shots that were missed directly under the basket.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I still think teams are going to have a harder time playing that style with Danger out there vs. Chong last year.

Danger should be blowing by people who overplay the perimeter the way Miss St did.

That will create new opportunities.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
As I tried to point out in a few threads now, why all the concern now for how we would fare against MSST? If that game happens, won't it be in April, a month and a half from now? I think that gives Geno and the Kids plenty of time to prepare.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Very unusual game for UConn, but if they learn from it very helpful. Rare to see UConn with more turnovers, fewer steals, fewer points off turnovers. And of course, the missed bunnies that so many on the BY have mentioned. We know of the injured players, but it looked as if a few, most notably Z, were perhaps ill. Surely made for an exciting game. I am convinced that they will examine the performance and come out better for it. Go Huskies! :)

Reaction Score
Teams with more offensive power and talent than UCF like Mississippi State can keep the score close and possibly win if UConn had an average night. UConn seemed to miss a lot of layups and 3 feet shots when teams packed in tight in the paint. Mississippi State did last year except they can match us score for score throughout the game as the pressure to build a lead got to several players and they started missing easy shots.

This seems to be the formula to beat us. Geno prepared them well in the first half but the second half was something else. Everyone kind of lost their composure and played hectic basketball.
I agree with most of this post except for MS staying with us basket for basket. They are very offensively challenged when playing a good defensive team.
Last year only Gabby had a very strong game against them and KLS was ok. The others were all way below their norms. Yes this style creates issues for us, but that's why this type of game is so valuable. I have no doubt Geno, CD and the players will use this to prepare them for Louisville and the tournament.
Bronx23

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It was what exactly what UConn needed. More rest for Crystal.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It is highly likely that UConn will have to play UCF another time in the AAC tournament at Mohegan Sun. It might be in the tournament final, in which case it will be the third game in three days for both teams. We will see what Geno cooks up for that game.

Reaction Score
It is highly likely that UConn will have to play UCF another time in the AAC tournament at Mohegan Sun. It might be in the tournament final, in which case it will be the third game in three days for both teams. We will see what Geno cooks up for that game.

the timing of that would really suck.................UConn escaped Orlando physically unscathed but UCF is an accident (or not an accident) waiting to happen

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I wonder when I see some posts - why does every game have to be a masterpiece? Is the perfect game the only acceptable result? Why aren’t players allowed to be tired or sore? When things aren’t going well for the team, shouldn’t we be glad the players had the guts and determination to scratch out an 18 point game against a good definsive team on the road?

Jess wonderin’

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Right now Houston and UCF are tied for third in the AAC with 3 losses. USF has two losses. USF plays UConn again, the other two teams do not. USF plays both UCF and Houston.

UCF plays Houston at Houston on February 24. My guess is the loser of that game will be the four seed. We beat Houston easily, 95-35, so one scenario, probably the preferable one, would have UConn playing Houston in the semis, probably an easy game where the bench can provide significant minutes. Under that scenario, we would play the USF - UCF winner in the final (barring an upset).

UConn did play UCF in the semis last year, won 78-56, four starters played 30 or more minutes. Didn`t seem to hurt us the next night against USF, a 100-44 victory. UConn was healthier last year, though.

Football measures time of possession, and usually the team with the ball most of the time wins. It sure seemed like UCF won the time of possession by a large margin. They held the ball until late in the shot clock, and also got 11 offensive rebounds and 12 steals. 54 field goal attempts to UConn`s 45. We played a zone for much of the game, likely in part because UCF is a terrible three point shooting team. Oddly enough, Lou with four was the only player on either team with a three. So while we stayed in a packed in zone, they milked the clock dribbling outside, eating up clock.

UCF was content to run the shot clock down even when they were down almost 30 points, and incurred a number of shot clock violations. Most teams that play like that open things up more when they get down that much.

The heavy minutes the starters played, largely on defense which is harder, showed in the fourth quarter. Not having Crystal available was also a big loss. But UConn did hold UCF to 20 points over the first three quarters. That`s pretty impressive.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score

I am not sure how many people saw this post game Geno but he agrees with you!

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
I think what's missing from this thread is the fact that UConn probably won't face another team as capable of the full court press as UCF.

In the past, many teams have tried this tactic, all without much success. Add in the fact that, in all likelihood, CD will be back playing significant minutes and the possibility of success drops even further.

I wish UCF good luck in the WNIT.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom