Just watched the 2000 championship game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Just watched the 2000 championship game

Reaction Score
Was that the game she fell to her back and pumped her fists? I loved that.
Yup - that's the one. Here it is if anyone wants to relive it again. I just did. Usually can't find time to re-watch a whole game, but I'm really glad I did this time! OMG - we sliced them and diced them, and they had no idea how to stop it. But I had forgotten how smothering our defense was. UConn just completely dominated LV in every way. Classic!

Reaction Score
Ace Pat's point guard was "sick" --a few day prior Pat chewed her out publically--I always thought Ace's illness was retribution--and Pat needed that leadership. ?

Ace hurt her ankle in practice and was physically unable to play. Pat was critical of her as a point guard. I remember this game well and how outstanding UConn was from start to finish. UT literally had no answers. The LVs were a better team than the score indicated but UConn was just so much better that night. I agree that game was a turning point for both programs.

Reaction Score
What strikes me about this game was our defense..... because our shooting in the first half wasn't lights out either..... we maintained our lead due to suffocating D.....

another memorable championship game was when we played Stanford in 201o 12 points in first half..... early in 2nd half still we had shot 6 for 35..... but our defense kept us in it.... 12 pts in first half but held them to 20...

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Definitely one of the program defining wins for the Huskies that doesn't get spoken about as much as it should. Tennessee had gotten the better of UCONN the previous 4 years and they split in the regular season. Most people expected Connecticut to win the title, but I don't think anyone expected them to win in as dominating a fashion as they did. They just flat out pounced on Tennessee from both ends, led by Shea Ralph's energy and all out hustle. After the first TV timeout, it was evident that the Huskies were far more energized and the superior team that night. That win set the tone for the next 4 years where Connecticut went on to win 7 of 8 against the Vols before Diana graduated.

After Diana graduated, Tennessee had the upper hand with the 6 pack and UCONN struggled in the post Diana years, but once the 2008-09 season rolled around, the Huskies elevated to a different stratosphere while the LVs weren't able to recapture the same magic.

I still think it's the best rivalry in WCBB history. Some of those games (95 title, 96 Final Four, 2001 regular season at UT, 2003 at UCONN, etc.) rank among the most entertaining collegiate games I've ever seen.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
What strikes me about this game was our defense..... because our shooting in the first half wasn't lights out either..... we maintained our lead due to suffocating D.....

another memorable championship game was when we played Stanford in 201o 12 points in first half..... early in 2nd half still we had shot 6 for 35..... but our defense kept us in it.... 12 pts in first half but held them to 20...

Out of all of the UCONN title games, I'd personally rank that as one of the worst title games I've ever seen. Connecticut was flat out awful in that first half, and Stanford had a golden opportunity and didn't capitalize. It was a fantastic showing by Maya Moore who propelled UCONN in the 2nd half, but Stanford wasted a fantastic chance to create some separation. They couldn't hit anything. Before they finished the game on a 6-10 flurry when the game was out of reach, the Cardinal had shot 12-59 (20%) from the floor. Great defense by Connecticut, even worse offense by Stanford.

Reaction Score
Out of all of the UConn title games, I'd personally rank that as one of the worst title games I've ever seen. Connecticut was flat out awful in that first half, and Stanford had a golden opportunity and didn't capitalize. It was a fantastic showing by Maya Moore who propelled UConn in the 2nd half, but Stanford wasted a fantastic chance to create some separation. They couldn't hit anything. Before they finished the game on a 6-10 flurry when the game was out of reach, the Cardinal had shot 12-59 (20%) from the floor. Great defense by Connecticut, even worse offense by Stanford.

Yes agreed it was a scene out of the twilight zone.... I felt badly for Appel.... who suffered an 0 for 12 night..... but was badly injured..... always like to see all at best strength

Reaction Score
Tn's offense was predictable and UCONN was prepared for everything that the LV's would or could do!
UCONN doesn't "run plays" they react to what is happening on the court at that given moment. Take what is given!
UCONN has tremendous success vs teams that run a set offense and UCONN's Defensive preparation can shut them down!
Look at games vs NoCar, Duke, for example.
ND runs basically the same offense that UCONN runs and we have a little bit of a problem vs them! But UCONN has won recently because they are better prepared and players commit 150% to their defensive assignments, and no other school does that!
TN under Holly Warlick carries on the same stale offense philosophy but cannot change with mid game corrections! The coaching staff has no clue how to stop them if things start to get out of hand! While Geno and the staff are the masters of the 1/2 time adjustments!

Reaction Score
UConn just completely dominated LV in every way.
No doubt that UConn began to assert its dominance by mid-way through the first half. But for the first 10 minutes, the play was more or less even, with a lot of slop on both sides. UConn got some good opportunities inside. And TN just couldn't get anything to go in. Strange that with TN only 2-19 with 4 minutes left in the half, they were only down by 10. That is not a lot with an entire half left to play. Then UConn got a couple of quick buckets in the final 90 seconds, the lead was back up to 14 or 15 I think. And the 2nd half was UConn stretching the lead and holding it.

Basketball is a strange game, and truly one of momentum. Only takes a a couple FT, an opposing team missed shot, a quick bucket, turnover, a 3, etc. for a sizeable lead to turn into a 3 possession game.

Really fun to watch these older games. The UConn Husky Games site is a treasure. I wish there was a counterpart for every college and professional sports team. Someday.

Reaction Score
Exactly. There were very little outside shots taken in the first half, by either team. Perhaps only 1 (maybe 2) 3-pt attempts (Svetla missing rather badly). A lot of activity around the basket, efforts to go up, etc. And our D was just more effective--better rotation, more tenacious. I don't recall exactly. But given her size, I don't think Snow was much of a factor on the defensive end.

Reaction Score
I think it's my favorite game, too, because my daughter and I were there and got to watch UConn dismantle TN. Like others here, I recall the many backdoor plays and being unable to fathom why TN didn't do something about them, as well as all those blocks. Just an amazing game.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
But given her size, I don't think Snow was much of a factor on the defensive end.
It looked like UConn took her completely out of the game on both sides of the court. She didn't look like a happy camper in the second half.

Reaction Score
Well due to an inability to sleep, i watched the game. It was an extremely impressive effort just like I recalled. LVs just got rattled. Elzy started for Ace and Pat probably should have started McDivett instead. Kyra was a very good player until her ACL and she was one who just never recovered. I think Ace would have helped the team, but even if she played it was the year of the Huskies.

That game and the 2002 FF game were two of the best played by UConn during those days. I recall watching the 02 FF game and it just turned down into a route early in the 2nd half. Bird, Cash, Jones, Williams were truly outstanding.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
We'll never know for sure but: I think our performance in the championship game was sharpened by our only loss
that year. We had beaten LadyVol in Knoxville early on but in their return to Gampel later in the season [yikes...2 games a year
for a few seasons!] we lost by one point....maybe 72-71. I was courtside and it was tremendously exciting. I recall Shea and Semeka Randall [Boo]
going back and forth in the last minutes...shot for shot. On the last possession UConn had it on a break and Svet made a pass from around half-court to a streaking Tamika Williams
as she approached the basket...the pass was a bit off and Tamika never got off a good shot.

I would bet the ranch that in the lead-up to the final game in Philly Geno might have mentioned the loss a time or two.
When Shea landed on the floor late in the game in Philly I remember seeing her Mom near/on the floor in that end zone furiously pumping
her fist and showing just where Shea got her fire.

Reaction Score
We'll never know for sure but: I think our performance in the championship game was sharpened by our only loss that year. We had beaten LadyVol in Knoxville early on but in their return to Gampel later in the season [yikes...2 games a year for a few seasons!] we lost by one point....maybe 72-71. I was courtside and it was tremendously exciting. I recall Shea and Semeka Randall [Boo]
going back and forth in the last minutes...shot for shot. On the last possession UConn had it on a break and Svet made a pass from around half-court to a streaking Tamika Williams
as she approached the basket...the pass was a bit off and Tamika never got off a good shot.

That game was a great one. You are right, Bird torched the LVs in Knoxville earlier that year. It took every bit of moxy for UT to pull that one out in hostile territory. On that night, UT was the better team. Catchings was a beast and the ball bounced UTs way. I hope to see a rivalry like that one develop somewhere in the game in the next few years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom