Just watched the 2000 championship game | The Boneyard

Just watched the 2000 championship game

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I guess ESPN has been running some 'Classic Rewinds'. My DVR is automatically recording them so its kind of a pleasant surprise to see some of them pop up on the recorded list.
Boy had I forgotten a lot about this game! Shea Ralph was really a beast (in the most positive sense). Kelly Schumacher was an unbelievable blocking machine. Of course Sue Bird was, well, Sue Bird. Svet always brought a smile to my face watching here run plays through the post.
From tip to final horn UConn owned Tennessee. Although UConn had an outstanding record from '95 to 2000, I believe this game was a real turning point for the program. Their defense was just suffocating - I think TN ended up with about 20 TO's.
In this season of the basketball doldrums you could do a lot worse than watch this one!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I guess ESPN has been running some 'Classic Rewinds'. My DVR is automatically recording them so its kind of a pleasant surprise to see some of them pop up on the recorded list.
Boy had I forgotten a lot about this game! Shea Ralph was really a beast (in the most positive sense). Kelly Schumacher was an unbelievable blocking machine. Of course Sue Bird was, well, Sue Bird. Svet always brought a smile to my face watching here run plays through the post.
From tip to final horn UConn owned Tennessee. Although UConn had an outstanding record from '95 to 2000, I believe this game was a real turning point for the program. Their defense was just suffocating - I think TN ended up with about 20 TO's.
In this season of the basketball doldrums you could do a lot worse than watch this one!
Who won? Don't leave us hanging.

Reaction Score
I was at this game.
UConn ran the backdoor cut off horns set like they were running a layup line in practice and Pat never adjusted.

Was at the game as well and what I remember most was the announcement of the teams and the starting lineups. As soon as UConn was announced the place exploded and I had no fear of the outcome.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think, on a National stage, that was the moment that WCBB changed - Uconn was running a type of offense that was 'modern' with multiple options and exposing the TN defense, while at the other end TN's traditional chuck it and rebound offense was suffocated.

It wasn't that other coaches weren't running the same kind of things, but these were the two best teams in the final game of the season and the contrast was so stark. And by 2002 ...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think, on a National stage, that was the moment that WCBB changed - UConn was running a type of offense that was 'modern' with multiple options and exposing the TN defense, while at the other end TN's traditional chuck it and rebound offense was suffocated.
It wasn't that other coaches weren't running the same kind of things, but these were the two best teams in the final game of the season and the contrast was so stark. And by 2002 ...
That game was a turning point in UCONN's favor in terms of dominance, but the contrast of modern offense (UCONN) vs. chuck and rebound (TN) was evident from the beginning of the rivalry in 1995 and continues even today. Prior to that game in April of 2000 the series was actually tied at 5 apiece. UCONN would win 8 of the next 9 meeting.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I was at this game.
UConn ran the backdoor cut off horns set like they were running a layup line in practice and Pat never adjusted.
That is my favorite UConn game of all time... I think they did a great job back in the day showing the opposing teams reactions... They don't do that as much nowadays because you also generally get the sound bite. The anguish on the TN bench.... Furthermore when you think about the fact that it happened 3 more times te

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
That game was a turning point in UConn's favor in terms of dominance, but the contrast of modern offense (UConn) vs. chuck and rebound (TN) was evident from the beginning of the rivalry in 1995 and continues even today. Prior to that game in April of 2000 the series was actually tied at 5 apiece. UConn would win 8 of the next 9 meeting.
Thanks for making that statement. Sometimes I think that certain sets of opposing fans miss the fact that from the 1st time they played UConn was always nipping at Tennessee's heals.

By 95 Summitt had separated herself just a bit from the pack by being the only Women's NCAA coach to win 3 titles. Then she really made a statement 96, 97, 98. Then the drought came and Geno made up some ground, he matched her 3 in a row & by the time she got around to winning her 7th, Geno had already gotten to 5.

I hope Geno doesn't retire until he gets 15. That way we have a good cushion on someone coming for the crown.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Just thought I'd share this.
"There is no UConn dynasty without Pat and what she did with Tennessee, because they were the most dominant program, and she was the blueprint."

Diana Taurasi on Pat Summitt

Reaction Score
Great D by UConn. But TN just couldn't get anything to go early in the first half. TN averaged 80 points a game that season. With 4 minutes left in the first half, TN had two FG on 2-19 shooting.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
"There is no UConn dynasty without Pat and what she did with Tennessee, because they were the most dominant program, and she was the blueprint."

True, TN gave UCONN something to strive for. Which they did. They caught them, passed them and now have left them far behind in the rear view mirror.

Reaction Score
Love Tamika Catchings. Pure class; dignified in defeat. Don't think I ever say a player with more maturity and character as a freshman. Her performance in the 97-98 finals against LSU was remarkable.

Reaction Score

Cut behind the defense lay it up---easy. Geno did it until TN stopped it and they didn't. Shoe was
amazing --announcers gave her 10 blocks---Back door was something TN learned as a new word.
Ace Pat's point guard was "sick" --a few day prior Pat chewed her out publically--I always thought Ace's illness was retribution--and Pat needed that leadership.

Shea Ralph was, is, one of the toughest (mentally and physically) players Uconn ever put on the floor. And a bit unconventional (some say dirty). She was not beyond giving an opposing play a shot to the gut or ribs--enforcer t00--she was Captain and Sue Point---think how that went?

Reaction Score

Geno has said the same thing.
Tn stagnated while Uconn moved forward. Was it Pat's dementia that caused her to stay with the tried and true old stuff? She did take for other coaches: Harry P of "nova showed her his methods. I think
Doug also, she wasn't too proud to ask for assistance--and most when asked gave it. But her program got the talent ---???

Reaction Score
That game was a turning point in UConn's favor in terms of dominance, but the contrast of modern offense (UConn) vs. chuck and rebound (TN) was evident from the beginning of the rivalry in 1995 and continues even today. Prior to that game in April of 2000 the series was actually tied at 5 apiece. UConn would win 8 of the next 9 meeting.

AS your brain lessens you stay with that which is comfortable---Stodgy means just that--That is the excuse I use for Pat---can't be the same for Holly--but her emulating CD/GA in team building is a great step forward--but is it enough
Thanks for the history lesson--how are your girls doing???

Reaction Score
I was at this game.
UConn ran the backdoor cut off horns set like they were running a layup line in practice and Pat never

\adjusted.

I get shivers when I watch Sue leading the team in belly flopping across the floor at games end--splinter??
Years later ---JPM didn't want Uconn running their lay up drill on her team.

Reaction Score
Thanks for making that statement. Sometimes I think that certain sets of opposing fans miss the fact that from the 1st time they played UConn was always nipping at Tennessee's heals.

By 95 Summitt had separated herself just a bit from the pack by being the only Women's NCAA coach to win 3 titles. Then she really made a statement 96, 97, 98. Then the drought came and Geno made up some ground, he matched her 3 in a row & by the time she got around to winning her 7th, Geno had already gotten to 5.

I hope Geno doesn't retire until he gets 15. That way we have a good cushion on someone coming for the crown.
Geno has said a few times lately: Everything comes to an end (but I don't think he believes it)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As many have pointed out, the difference between UConn's "modern offense" and TN's "chuck & rebound" offense in that game was striking, proving to be the difference in the Huskies' one-sided thrashing of the Vols.

No less striking is comparing UConn's offense during that game with UConn's offense today. There is so much more motion and sophistication to the current offense as the Huskies continue to evolve, with every other team in WBB fighting to keep up.

You have to change the way you do things in order to stay on top. Geno learned that concept and continues to embrace it. As great as Pat was, I don't know that she ever truly grasped the importance of change.

Reaction Score
Was that the game she fell to her back and pumped her fists? I loved that.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Geno has said the same thing.
Tn stagnated while UConn moved forward. Was it Pat's dementia that caused her to stay with the tried and true old stuff? She did take for other coaches: Harry P of "nova showed her his methods. I think
Doug also, she wasn't too proud to ask for assistance--and most when asked gave it. But her program got the talent ---???
I don't think we know the full effect. That it had not only on Pat, but the program. Tennessee may have gained a few recruits had it not happened. We will never know.

Reaction Score
As many have pointed out, the difference between UConn's "modern offense" and TN's "chuck & rebound" offense in that game was striking, proving to be the difference in the Huskies' one-sided thrashing of the Vols.

No less striking is comparing UConn's offense during that game with UConn's offense today. There is so much more motion and sophistication to the current offense as the Huskies continue to evolve, with every other team in WBB fighting to keep up.

You have to change the way you do things in order to stay on top. Geno learned that concept and continues to embrace it. As great as Pat was, I don't know that she ever truly grasped the importance of change.

The two constants in Geno's game then and now---Emphasis on Defense and precision passing---the latter is that which hooked me on Uconn---Defense was great--but the poetry was in the passing--still is.
I don't disagree with you on Pat--I like to think she may have evolved if Dementia wasn't running around in her brain---if, if , if , if----if no demential: MAYBE, the head to head rivalry would still be and TN fans would still be hurling, in game, insults at Geno's current version of DT (Megan/Dangerl/Batouly/ KIA (yes Kia ) she'd put them in their place..
Old Dude---thanks for that--great post --as usual--really stirred up my memory juices Thanks.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
AS your brain lessens you stay with that which is comfortable---Stodgy means just that--That is the excuse I use for Pat---can't be the same for Holly--but her emulating CD/GA in team building is a great step forward--but is it enough
Thanks for the history lesson--how are your girls doing???
Girls are doing well, thanks for asking. One has been bitten by the coaching bug (HS) in the same league with Maddie Burke. It is funny to hear her talk about "this generation of girls" and how much harder her generation (3 years out of college) worked and how much more skilled they were.

Reaction Score
I don't think we know the full effect. That it had not only on Pat, but the program. Tennessee may have gained a few recruits had it not happened. We will never know.
Not with our current level of medical/mental intelligence---the Military is creating leaps and bound on Brain injuries and indepth analysis of the brain--Bethesda I saw a boy with a deep indent on the side of his head --and was told he was going to Fla --to have that half of his brain inserted (sound impossible)- our widely known about dementia is miles ahead of 10-20 years ago---but not enough
I agree with your total posting--including, at this time, we'll never know.

Reaction Score
Girls are doing well, thanks for asking. One has been bitten by the coaching bug (HS) in the same league with Maddie Burke. It is funny to hear her talk about "this generation of girls" and how much harder her generation (3 years out of college) worked and how much more skilled they were.
Much like my topic on Coddling---each gen--does not live up to the last gen--
Boy you should be posting more about that young lady---oops, just picked up a button you popped.
You are one lucky dad!. Thanks for sharing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom