Just saw the Solo trailer | The Boneyard

Just saw the Solo trailer

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Not a fan.

Reaction Score
Being a Star Wars fan myself, I wasn't impressed. I thought Disney purchasing Lucasfilm back in 2012 was a mistake and this is why.

CL82

Reaction Score
The Last Jedi sucked too. It might have been even worse than 1-3. Solo says “hold my beer”.
See now that's a movie I'd watch.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Second Solo trailer makes the movie look a lot better than the first. Solo, Chewbacca and Lando are 3 of my favorite characters in the Star Wars universe, so this movie should be pretty hard to screw up. Also, bringing Ron Howard in is like pulling out the 5 iron for a drive. The movie isn't going to be great, but it probably won't be shanked into the woods.

Reaction Score
Second Solo trailer makes the movie look a lot better than the first. Solo, Chewbacca and Lando are 3 of my favorite characters in the Star Wars universe, so this movie should be pretty hard to screw up. Also, bringing Ron Howard in is like pulling out the 5 iron for a drive. The movie isn't going to be great, but it probably won't be shanked into the woods.

It’s been a while since Ron Howard did something great.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It’s been a while since Ron Howard did something great.

When was the last time he did something that sucked?

I liked Rush. Inferno did well at the box office.

Howard can't save this movie if the script is a steaming pile, but he can salvage something entertaining if there is anything to work with in the script and the actor that plays Solo doesn't completely suck.

Reaction Score
When was the last time he did something that sucked?

I liked Rush. Inferno did well at the box office.

Howard can't save this movie if the script is a steaming pile, but he can salvage something entertaining if there is anything to work with in the script and the actor that plays Solo doesn't completely suck.

Nothing sucked. But nothing was particularly great.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nothing sucked. But nothing was particularly great.

Ron Howard is a 5 iron. Reading some "behind the scenes" stories on Solo, it looks like the prior pair of directors were idiots, doing dozens of takes of each scene until the actors had no idea what their characters' motivations or point of view were. Howard was brought in to save the movie from being a disaster. Just keep it in play.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I am cautiously optimistic after seeing the second trailer. Between Harrelson, Han/Chewie/Lando and the Star Wars magic they should be able to hold this thing together. I don't get the Disney hate. If you like Star Wars, you finally get a plethora of SW movies. We waited half a generation for the prequel flop, that went well. I thought R1 was great and TFA was at least solid.

Reaction Score
I think the Glover is really strong casting. Harrelson has matured into playing the gruff old guy really well. I think the Solo actor seems too innocent, but that's just my bias of Han always being the cool guy from birth. I agree with the opinion that this will probably be entertaining, but not epic.

I will get skewered for this, but I think people in their 40s - 50s have romanticized the original trilogy. They were groundbreaking because of their effects, but the stories and the acting are definitely overrated. I think the prequels sucked, but that didn't make the originals better. I personally think VII and VIII have been perfectly strong additions. My main critique would be that the originals kept things a bit simpler and the new ones have too many storylines going on at once. I think Rogue One was probably the best of them all (other than knowing approximately how it would end).

Reaction Score
I think the Glover is really strong casting. Harrelson has matured into playing the gruff old guy really well. I think the Solo actor seems too innocent, but that's just my bias of Han always being the cool guy from birth. I agree with the opinion that this will probably be entertaining, but not epic.

I will get skewered for this, but I think people in their 40s - 50s have romanticized the original trilogy. They were groundbreaking because of their effects, but the stories and the acting are definitely overrated. I think the prequels sucked, but that didn't make the originals better. I personally think VII and VIII have been perfectly strong additions. My main critique would be that the originals kept things a bit simpler and the new ones have too many storylines going on at once. I think Rogue One was probably the best of them all (other than knowing approximately how it would end).

Aaaaaand you’re wrong.

I just shared the originals with my stepson a few years back. The story had him absolutely captivated. The look on his face when he found out Darth Vader was Luke’s Dad and then found out that Leah was his sister was priceless.

This is what the new movies fail to recognize. Star Wars is about the Slywalker family as much as it is about the pew pew.

Rogue One is the best of the new ones for sure.

Reaction Score
What’s a shame about Solo is that it was a Lawrence Kasdan script. Screwing it up is a complete waste.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just watched the trailer (second one). It looks like it will be entertaining, and maybe fun, but nothing more. I really don't like the casting for young Han. The look is a little bit wrong, but the voice is very wrong. He sounds like a whiny kid. Han Solo is not whiny. Ford had a great deep, rough edged voice that fit the character. When you hear young Han say "I've got a bad feeling about this", it falls completely flat. Doesn't sound remotely like the same person saying that line. That's the kind of attention to detail that great Directors get right.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I agree Chuck. I've tried re-watching the original trilogy recently, and I couldn't finish. No movies have ever gotten more of a nostalgia bump than SW. I grew up w/ them. Used to watch Episode IV almost daily. To me they haven't held up all that well.

The prequel trilogy was just plain awful. There's no way they were better than the recent Disney entries in the franchise.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I agree Chuck. I've tried re-watching the original trilogy recently, and I couldn't finish. No movies have ever gotten more of a nostalgia bump than SW. I grew up w/ them. Used to watch Episode IV almost daily. To me they haven't held up all that well.

The prequel trilogy was just plain awful. There's no way they were better than the recent Disney entries in the franchise.

Lord of the Rings age worse than Star Wars. I can't believe that Peter Jackson got away with something like 20 hours of screen time for those movies. They seem trite and tedious now.

Reaction Score
Aaaaaand you’re wrong.

I just shared the originals with my stepson a few years back. The story had him absolutely captivated. The look on his face when he found out Darth Vader was Luke’s Dad and then found out that Leah was his sister was priceless.

This is what the new movies fail to recognize. Star Wars is about the Slywalker family as much as it is about the pew pew.

Rogue One is the best of the new ones for sure.

Rouge One restored my faith in the SW franchise. I've only watched the three prequel movies one time apiece. The originals I'll still watch and RO was the closest to them (and in many ways better). Not totally sold on the current trilogy.

Disagree about LOTR, think it's held up quite well.

Reaction Score
Lord of the Rings age worse than Star Wars. I can't believe that Peter Jackson got away with something like 20 hours of screen time for those movies. They seem trite and tedious now.

Can’t stand the fantasy genre outside of GoT.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I really enjoyed the LOTR franchise when they came out, but have little interest in watching them now. I thought the first one was the best and Jackson was allowed to be progressively more indulgent. Too long, poor editing at times, needless diverting from the plot lines in the books. He was given absolute carte blanche, and look what a disaster the Hobbit trilogy turned into. Now THAT was a terrible trilogy!

CL82

Reaction Score
I really enjoyed the LOTR franchise when they came out, but have little interest in watching them now. I thought the first one was the best and Jackson was allowed to be progressively more indulgent. Too long, poor editing at times, needless diverting from the plot lines in the books. He was given absolute carte blanche, and look what a disaster the Hobbit trilogy turned into. Now THAT was a terrible trilogy!
I think LOTR were reasonably well done. The book can be pretty ponderous at times.

Could not agree more that the Hobbit was an abject failure. They approached it as if the material was the same as LOTRs and fabricated storylines to make it so. The Hobbit is lighter and funnier than LOTR and that was largely lost.

Reaction Score

Could not disagree more, for what my opinion is worth. At the rate these movies are replayed on TNT / TBS there must be a hefty audience that would agree with me.

Reaction Score
The Hobbit was unwatchable. I never even bothered with the final movie. Awful, awful, awful.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The Solo movie creates little to no excitement for me. Usually I am pumped for new SW movies but this one creates no interest for me. I'll see it and maybe it'll surprise me.

I don't mind the new movies and don't feel Last Jedi was as awful as some make it out to be. Agree with others that Rogue One was awesome. Thought they ended it even better. We all knew they'd be successful but the fact that none of them made it was great to see. It was realistic in that regard. It was a no return mission that saved the Galaxy. Thought it was well done.

One last note, I recently got the urge to rewatch the LOTR series and forgot how great they were. Yes they are long but they were really well-done

Reaction Score
For the time being, Star Wars films won't be getting any first weekend money from me. The Last Jedi killed my enthusiasm, and even worse, my kids enthusiasm as well. I will simply need to hear from people that have seen the movie before I cough up for all of us to go see it.

Reaction Score
For the time being, Star Wars films won't be getting any first weekend money from me. The Last Jedi killed my enthusiasm, and even worse, my kids enthusiasm as well. I will simply need to hear from people that have seen the movie before I cough up for all of us to go see it.

It’s amazing how badly received The Last Jedi was. For released on to video with little fanfare. I have no desire to buy it other than being an absurd completist.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom