Just Re-Watched the Game | The Boneyard

Just Re-Watched the Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Sorry if long. Citing some thing I've seen so you can go back and watch:

0:00 1H - That transition music set the tone. Typical Nor-Cal bullsh!t.

19:27 1H - Brimah gets tangled up with Nastic. Nastic kind of flops a little, but right after the flop Brimah bumps him and gets his arms tangled. That's a clear foul, just inexperience on Brimah's part. Brimah starts to complain to refs, coaches.

18:31 1H - Boat tries to dribble around screen, gets clearly bumped by Nastic. More body contact than Brimah's foul a minute prior. No call - leads to a break-out layup by Anthony Brown and a DHam ticky-tack foul. No need to foul him there.

18:00 1H - DHam dribbles way too much and is really lagging behind coming off screens. Doesn't make hard cuts. Very different to Calhoun who does this rather well. Calhoun dives to the corner during a Boat drive and knocks down a 3. Earlier this play, Calhoun runs out of bounds to come off a screen - it is not called.

16:03 1H - Boat comes off a baseline ball screen and gets a little bump from Brown. The contact and the way Brown was guarding him forced Boat to come off the screen by going out of bounds. They call him for "excessively going out of bounds to create an advantage...or something along those lines." That's the first time I've ever seen that called in a while. Questionable call to say the least.

13:55 1H - Boat comes off screen and is held by Randle, no call. Boat drives right and gets undercut a tad by Randle and there is body contact, no foul.

12:14 1H - Humphreys hit a tough jumper and falls getting back on defense. When he gets up he gets tangled with Brimah and Brimah shoves him w/ his left arm like he was saying, "get off." Ref saw it and broke it up quick, no call. Maybe set the tempo the rest of the way for Brimah's foul?

10:00 1H - Dorian Pickens clear over the back on a Stanford missed shot. No call.

9:30 1H - Nastic posts up Brimah and Brimah swipes him across the body with his right hand trying to deny the entry. Clear reach foul. Brimah complains again.

5:10 to 4:55 1H - Boat drives floats one at the rim and misses. There was a lot of cover on him, but there was no foul. This was a good no-call as the people guarding Boat were three defenders all 6'6" and over. Next possession he comes off a baseline screen and runs out of bounds more than he had the entire game. No call - just pointing out inconsistencies in the refereeing.

1:07 1H - Nolan gets called for a block. Good call he was moving at time of contact. Should have went for the rejection like normal bigs.

-----

19:30 2H - Nastic called for holding Brimah. Good call.

19:19 2H - Boat goes baseline off ball and goes out of bounds excessively - no call.

19:05 2H - Boat is fouled by Nastic on jumper. No call.

18:29 2H - Nastic called for slapping Brimah - good call.

17:17 2H - Nastic drives and Brimah gets his arms tangled with Nastic. Clear reaching foul on Brimah, but the foul was before the shot not after. Kind of a quick NBA-type continuation foul. But Brimah definitely fouled Nastic here.

16:18 2H - Boat makes a 3 and Randle clips him on the hand. No call.

13:40 2H - Boat drives left to the basket and is surrounded by 3 defenders. Some contact, but Boat didn't go up with his left hand he tried to scoop it and it was very out-of-control. Ref isn't gonna call that.

13:10 2H - Facey reaches into Nastic - clear foul.

13:02 2H - Second foul on Facey - didn't see a foul there.

9:23 2H - Nastic makes a good move down low with a hook shot, Brimah got into him a little and bumped/slapped him. No call, but probably a good no-call. Not a lot to call there.

8:24 2H - Brimah plays good D on Nastic missed shot. Nastic grabs rebound and when Brimah goes to put his arms up to defend, he gets tangled up with Nastic and reaches. Clear foul. There isn't much Brimah could do, its just that his inexperience leads to so many bad fouls. This wasn't a hold on Nastic either.

8:00 2H - Boat takes a FT line jumper and is clearly fouled. No call.

7:40 2H - On a Stanford miss, Nastic pushes DHam in back and clears space for rebound then dishes to Randle for putback. No foul, there should have been.

6:11 2H - Nastic drives, hooks Brimah. No offensive foul and then Brimah gets called for foul after good defense. Nastic went into him and initiated the contact. Horrible call.

4:41 2H - Calhoun drives and gets hammered by 2 Stanford players. No call.

3:11 2H - Nastic clear over the back. No call.

NOTES:
  • Nolan's hands are made of warm, slippery butter that has been left on the Festivus table for 5 hours.
  • Brimah complains more than Boat, Kemba, and Shabazz combined. He is very raw on the defensive end and commits tacky and unnecessary fouls ALL THE TIME. After re-watching, the only fouls that were poorly called were the 5th. The rest were just Brimah's arms getting into the offensive players space.
  • Purvis played well, a bit out of control at times and his average handle was exposed when doing so. Shot was falling though which was great to see.
  • Calhoun, Terrence, and Facey were the only ones playing defense with intensity. This was clear to see. The others just going through the motions.
  • Facey is still learning how to rebound effectively. Thought he would have had a bigger game since he's usually good against big front lines. He did have 3 blocks though.
  • Boat just isn't playing well enough to win, and thats saying something because individually he's playing OK.. A large part of this is him being triple teamed on drives. He has realized this and has deferred to passing a lot more the last few games. Notice his assist numbers: 7 vs Stanford, 6 vs Tulsa, 8 vs USF. His TO's are down as well. He gets into problems late in games when he is forced to take over - notice the poor field goal percentage. Also can contribute that to no-call fouls, but that's expected.
  • Nastic didn't play as dirty as he did when I first watched the game. He's just a really smart player and knows when he can and cannot do things. Leads to consistency, especially on the glass.

I wasted 2 hours of my time this morning to do this. I am bored. But after re-watching, the refs did lean towards Stanford of course, but 4/5 Brimah's fouls were not bad calls per-say. We just have no offense and the defense was exposed by a smarter team last night.

Reaction Score
Solid report. Hope UConn can keep getting better for a run in the AAC tournament.

Reaction Score
Not so much that Brimahs fouls were bad calls. More so that there were about 20 fouls by Stanford not called.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Not so much that Brimahs fouls were bad calls. More so that there were about 20 fouls by Stanford not called.
No they were bad fouls. He has piss poor defensive positioning and refuses to learn how to play non-fouling defense. He hasn't changed his on-the-block / back-to-the-basket defense in 1.5 years.

Reaction Score
i do agree that the refs totally screwed Uconn but if the game is called fair, i still think we lose.
what was the refs motivation in calling it so 1-sided like that?
i can see missing a few calls and making wrong calls but last night went beyond that.

Reaction Score
Not sure how much missing summer hurt Brimah.
Fact is, he's very, very raw when it comes to his own body control.
He has the shot blocking instinct, to be sure - he just has not learned how to keep his feet, control his hands, and not reach/grab/bump.

I literally think that he should be told to never reach for a ball when an offensive player is in control of it - just hold position, wait for the shot, and then go for the block - but not all the time.

We need him to pick up his learning pace. Letting a guy get the occasional clean look for the bucket is very acceptable - he'll get a better look with you on the bench in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
The problem with the one sided officiating is KO does not appear to object to it. The officials just keep right on rolling, why not? The sqeecky wheel gets the grease. I know this is not his m.o., but at some point enough has to be enough.
Even the one outburst he had when he was ejected last year it looked like he wanted to apologize as he walked off. Other coaches have to be ripped off the court screaming when they get tossed. You have to let the officials know you mean business and refuse to have your team railroaded.

Reaction Score
A
No they were bad fouls. He has piss poor defensive positioning and refuses to learn how to play non-fouling defense. He hasn't changed his on-the-block / back-to-the-basket defense in 1.5 years.
Agree 100 percent. Even from the stands, you could see the moment that Brimah would reach in, the Stanford big would just wrap his arm around his and pull him to initiate contact. If he doesn't reach like that he doesn't pick up the tick tack fouls.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
LMAO at the transition music comment :D

Reaction Score
Agree with the Brimah comments. He needs to be taught to stand straight up instead of bringing his arms down. Even if the offensive player initiates the contact Brimah will be called for the foul every time because he brings his arms down.

Reaction Score
Poorly officiated game for sure, but thought 4 of Amida's were fouls, soft, but fouls. He's always in foul trouble because of this. His positioning and bb iq are so rudimentary at this point. Any good post player will eat him up.

Reaction Score
i do agree that the refs totally screwed Uconn but if the game is called fair, i still think we lose.
what was the refs motivation in calling it so 1-sided like that?
i can see missing a few calls and making wrong calls but last night went beyond that.
They call it a "home job" for a reason.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Brimah has to lead the nation in touch fouls among centers.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Good OP.

"Nolan's hands are made of warm, slippery butter that has been left on the Festivus table for 5 hours." was worth a like on it's own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom