Just How Special Was Shabazz vs. Florida? | The Boneyard

Just How Special Was Shabazz vs. Florida?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Shabazz willed this team to victory over Florida. It felt like every time Florida started to go on a run and UConn needed a basket, Shabazz made a big play. After looking through the box score and game play-by-play, he was even more clutch than I realized.

Shabazz scored 26 points against Florida; 9 field goals and 3 free throws. Every single point Shabazz scored occurred when UConn was trailing or tied. 26 points. All when the team needed them most.

I think the following video really shows just how big Napier's shots were. Pay attention to the game scores when Shabazz scores, and be absolutely sure to listen to the crowd.

NBA potential aside, I really think we have the best player in college basketball on our team. There's still a long way to go, but it's getting hard not to compare Shabazz's heroics to Kemba, and this team to the "out-of-nowhere-led-by-dominant-player" 2011 National Championship squad.

Appreciate what we have while we have Shabazz around.

Reaction Score
Bazz is going to finish his uconn career as one of the all time greats to ever wear the blue and white. itd be so special to see him atleast get to the final four this year. i think him leading this team to a final four would solidify him in the top 5 uconn players of all time.

Reaction Score
NBA potential aside, I really think we have the best player in college basketball on our team. There's still a long way to go, but it's getting hard not to compare Shabazz's heroics to Kemba, and this team to the "out-of-nowhere-led-by-dominant-player" 2011 National Championship squad.

What made Kemba so special was not just hitting big shots but making "winning plays" all over the court right whenever the team needed one. That steal by Shabazz at 1:30 of the video was the first time I started considering a comparison (well that and his rebounding). At this point in the game we looked to be in trouble - just went down 7. Niels hits a big three, then Bazz immediately gets the steal and the layup - two point game. And we know what happened from there.

Reaction Score
Shabazz willed this team to victory over Florida. It felt like every time Florida started to go on a run and UConn needed a basket, Shabazz made a big play. After looking through the box score and game play-by-play, he was even more clutch than I realized.

Shabazz scored 26 points against Florida; 9 field goals and 3 free throws. Every single point Shabazz scored occurred when UConn was trailing or tied. 26 points. All when the team needed them most.

I think the following video really shows just how big Napier's shots were. Pay attention to the game scores when Shabazz scores, and be absolutely sure to listen to the crowd.

Interesting point, although something like this is bound to happen if you're the leading scorer in a game this close, especially when you're coming from behind down the stretch. I bet you could do a similarly interesting comparison for the crazy end run of the Indiana game.

When I watch Shabazz, even in his latest crazy clutch, highly efficient incarnation this year, I still struggle with flashbacks to him two years ago, where every wily play is followed by a dumb mistake (a la Dyson). I feel like I'm unduly/instinctively negative in my evaluation of him. Does anyone else still feel this way?

Look, I think Bazz is a great college player, and maybe this is mostly just aesthetic. But to cite a tangible example of boneheadness from an otherwise cerebral player that came smack in the middle of his heroic performance the other night no less: He drills a devastating 3-ball, craftily elicits the foul call for a 4-pt play chance...and then milks a non-existent injury, which forces us to use our last timeout?

Did I miss something? Why did he do this?

Shabazz v. 2013-2014 is an All-American level guard, a shockingly efficient and effective shooter most of the time, with a full bag of veteran tricks, great leader, and an unparalleled pair of onions....whose decision-making is prone to very short but frustrating lapses, given how mature so much of his game is?

I'm struggling to put not my opinion of his talent, but how we makes me feel while watching him, into words. I really don't know who he reminds me of.

Reaction Score
Look, I think Bazz is a great college player, and maybe this is mostly just aesthetic. But to cite a tangible example of boneheadness from an otherwise cerebral player that came smack in the middle of his heroic performance the other night no less: He drills a devastating 3-ball, craftily elicits the foul call for a 4-pt play chance...and then milks a non-existent injury, which forces us to use our last timeout?

Did I miss something? Why did he do this?

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. This post actually freaks me out a little. Do you really think this is what happened? I'm not going to say "strangest post ever" because someone will blow it out of the water a week from now but this is right up there.

Reaction Score
Non-existent injury? WTF are you talking about?

Was he hurt? I'm not trying to cast aspersions if he was. And I realize the adrenaline at that point would've enabled him to play through a mild sprain at that point in the game. But save the sanctimony; how many times again does Shabazz ham up contact (which is not a deplorable tendency after all)?

He certainly didn't look hurt to me, but maybe I missed something, as I said.

Reaction Score
Was he hurt? I'm not trying to cast aspersions if he was.

Then what are you trying to do? That's the entire point of your post, that this was some "boneheaded" decision to fake an injury. I retract what i said - this is the single weirdest post I can remember.

Reaction Score
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. This post actually freaks me out a little. Do you really think this is what happened? I'm not going to say "strangest post ever" because someone will blow it out of the water a week from now but this is right up there.

I'm sorry to have freaked you out, lol.

Strange how, though? As in paranoid/conspiratorial? Defamatory? I don't get it. Wilbeken sprained his ankle and left the game. Shabazz got up, buried the free throw, and hit the game winner a minute later. Besides scaring UConn fans by laying motionless for several seconds, he didn't appear to be injured at all afterward. I know he has had foot problems in the past - maybe he got spooked by the way he landed? I dunno.

Reaction Score
Was he hurt? I'm not trying to cast aspersions if he was. And I realize the adrenaline at that point would've enabled him to play through a mild sprain at that point in the game. But save the sanctimony; how many times again does Shabazz ham up contact (which is not a deplorable tendency after all)?

The suggestion that Napier was faking his ankle injury isn't even worth commenting on.

What is worth commenting on is that you're incorporating your "flashbacks to the Shabazz of two years ago" into your current evaluation of him. Why? There is a huge difference between sophomore year Shabazz and the Shabazz we've seen for nearly all of his last 38 games. If you use Napier's sophomore year against him, how do you feel about Kemba Walker's career? Remember what he looked like for most of his sophomore year?

Reaction Score

Glad you followed up your first bizarre post with something equally bizarre.

Reaction Score
Florida? I'm thinking Maine.....................................Next page!

Reaction Score
Then what are you trying to do? That's the entire point of your post, that this was some "boneheaded" decision to fake an injury. I retract what i said - this is the single weirdest post I can remember.

I'm posting on a message board, trying to talk about the experience of being a fan.

My point was that when I watch Shabazz, I sometimes feel like I am perhaps overly critical and miss the forest for the trees considering his maturation as a scorer/leader from the rocky '11-'12 season. I noted that perhaps I am "unduly" negative. I sincerely asked "if I was missing something" wrt to his injury. When I watched it unfold live, I honestly thought he wasn't injured at all. And if he wasn't injured, I would chalk it up to misguided gamesmanship (a decision-making shortcoming) rather than a character defect.

Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...nn-men-notebook-1203-20131202,0,1421880.story

When Shabazz Napier made a three-point shot with 33.5 seconds to play, he went down to the floor hard. And for several moments he was on the floor, as UConn fans, players and coaches held their breath.

"I thought, 'Oh, no, my ankle,' " Napier said. "Then I realized it wasn't the one I hurt last year, it was my left ankle. I realized I wasn't too hurt and I got up."

Napier continued, of course, and hit the winning shot at the buzzer.

"It was kind of ironic," Napier said, "because before the game our athletic trainer [James Doran] taped my ankles so hard. It wasn't normal. I thought, 'Why is he taping so hard?' I didn't say anything, and it's a good thing. Who knew I was going to twist my ankle? If he taped it looser, I might've got hurt worse. But there's no swelling, and hopefully it won't hurt tomorrow."

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I'm posting on a message board, trying to talk about the experience of being a fan.

My point was that when I watch Shabazz, I sometimes feel like I am perhaps overly critical and miss the forest for the trees considering his maturation as a scorer/leader from the rocky '11-'12 season. I noted that perhaps I am "unduly" negative. I sincerely asked "if I was missing something" wrt to his injury. When I watched it unfold live, I honestly thought he wasn't injured at all. And if he wasn't injured, I would chalk it up to misguided gamesmanship (a decision-making shortcoming) rather than a character defect.

I think Napier said it himself ... when he came down on the ankle, he immediately thought of his injury from last year. It was a few moments before he realized it was his left ankle.

Additionally, you can clearly see in the replay that he lands on the Florida player's foot. I just don't see gamesmanship in that situation.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry to have freaked you out, lol.

Strange how, though? As in paranoid/conspiratorial? Defamatory? I don't get it. Wilbeken sprained his ankle and left the game. Shabazz got up, buried the free throw, and hit the game winner a minute later. Besides scaring UConn fans by laying motionless for several seconds, he didn't appear to be injured at all afterward. I know he has had foot problems in the past - maybe he got spooked by the way he landed? I dunno.

Did you see the degree to which Wilbekin's ankle turned compared to Bazz's? Not all twisted/sprained ankles are the same.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
NaughtybyNapier said:
I'm sorry to have freaked you out, lol. Strange how, though? As in paranoid/conspiratorial? Defamatory? I don't get it. Wilbeken sprained his ankle and left the game. Shabazz got up, buried the free throw, and hit the game winner a minute later. Besides scaring UConn fans by laying motionless for several seconds, he didn't appear to be injured at all afterward. I know he has had foot problems in the past - maybe he got spooked by the way he landed? I dunno.

Because wilbeken is a nancy boy and Napier is well, superman. Let's not overthink this.

Reaction Score
The suggestion that Napier was faking his ankle injury isn't even worth commenting on.

What is worth commenting on is that you're incorporating your "flashbacks to the Shabazz of two years ago" into your current evaluation of him. Why? There is a huge difference between sophomore year Shabazz and the Shabazz we've seen for nearly all of his last 38 games. If you use Napier's sophomore year against him, how do you feel about Kemba Walker's career? Remember what he looked like for most of his sophomore year?

Thank you for at least responding to what I was I trying to get at. I think there are both some interesting parallels and points of divergence between Shabazz and Kemba vis-a-vis their development. Both played key support roles on F4 teams as freshmen, and then struggled (at least somewhat) trying to assume the leadership mantle at PG for disappointing teams with perhaps checked-out or disgruntled veterans.

But to me, Kemba's transformation was more spectacular. Sure, he was the McDonald's AA coming in and showed glimpses when he eviscerated Missouri in the Elite 8 as a freshmen. But I couldn't believe the player that showed up in November '10. He just seemed like he had melted into the Force and could do anything and everything to make us win. Which he did.

Shabazz seemed to morph more from freshman year (as a preternaturally composed ball-handler PG) to sophomore year (to more of a pure scorer/shooter than Kemba). And then he's just become a better and better version of that over the last two years. He looks like the dominant bomber he was as a senior in high school.

Reaction Score
Did you see the degree to which Wilbekin's ankle turned compared to Bazz's? Not all twisted/sprained ankles are the same.

Yes. I'm sure Wilbekin felt the ligament/tendon pop and felt the bad burning seep in and that he knew he was done for the day.

Did Shabazz sit out at all this week, do you know?

Reaction Score
Thank you for at least responding to what I was I trying to get at. I think there are both some interesting parallels and points of divergence between Shabazz and Kemba vis-a-vis their development. Both played key support roles on F4 teams as freshmen, and then struggled (at least somewhat) trying to assume the leadership mantle at PG for disappointing teams with perhaps checked-out or disgruntled veterans.

But to me, Kemba's transformation was more spectacular. Sure, he was the McDonald's AA coming in and showed glimpses when he eviscerated Missouri in the Elite 8 as a freshmen. But I couldn't believe the player that showed up in November '10. He just seemed like he had melted into the Force and could do anything and everything to make us win. Which he did.

Shabazz seemed to morph more from freshman year (as a preternaturally composed ball-handler PG) to sophomore year (to more of a pure scorer/shooter than Kemba). And then he's just become a better and better version of that over the last two years. He looks like the dominant bomber he was as a senior in high school.

Kemba has impossibly huge shoes to fill. What he did in 2011 is a thing of college basketball lore; not just UConn. Comparing Shabazz to Kemba is unfair, but the fact that this is even a reasonable discussion speaks volumes to how great Shabazz has been.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Kemba has impossibly huge shoes to fill. What he did in 2011 is a thing of college basketball lore; not just UConn. Comparing Shabazz to Kemba is unfair, but the fact that this is even a reasonable discussion speaks volumes to how great Shabazz has been.

I totally agreed with you until Monday. Now I think Shabazz is in Kemba land. There is a lot of ball to be played in his Senior year, but IF SN keeps this up, he is right there.

Another way to look at it would be to compare them both at December of their senior years. I think Bazz compares well. It blows me away that this may be true (because Kemba is so...Kemba) but I think it is.

Reaction Score
I totally agreed with you until Monday. Now I think Shabazz is in Kemba land. There is a lot of ball to be played in his Senior year, but IF SN keeps this up, he is right there.

Another way to look at it would be to compare them both at December of their senior years. I think Bazz compares well. It blows me away that this may be true (because Kemba is so...Kemba) but I think it is.
Kemba was playing for the Charlotte Bobcats in what would have been his senior year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom