Just how good the defense was done the stretch | The Boneyard

Just how good the defense was done the stretch

Reaction Score
The screenshot below is of that garbage three that Lawson hit as the shot clock expired. This shot gave Memphis 56 points. As you can see, there were over 8mins left in the game. Memphis ended the game with just 62 points, two of which came on a borderline meaningless two point dunk with 3 seconds left when they needed a three to tie. Unbelievable job by KO and great determination by a depleted roster to put the clamps on them down the stretch.
IMG_4463.PNG

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
The ball movement with Jackson at the 4 was awesome. He's a great passer. But man, Vance was getting torched on D tonight. Once Brimah was back in, Memphis stuck to chucking and it really let us back in the game, even though Brimah couldn't hold onto a defensive board at all (Vance was great in that respect too).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The ball movement with Jackson at the 4 was awesome. He's a great passer. But man, Vance was getting torched on D tonight. Once Brimah was back in, Memphis stuck to chucking and it really let us back in the game, even though Brimah couldn't hold onto a defensive board at all (Vance was great in that respect too).

Funny thing is still had 3 steals, 3 assists and 7 rebounds. Those are good numbers to improve upon because he was getting beat at times.

Reaction Score
Memphis had 60 pts for like 7 minutes. The key was bringing AB back in for Jackson.
Jackson had a nightmare game last nite. It happens, especially to freshman. The thing I can't understand is leaving him out there during the second half when he was obviously not getting any better. Jackson ended up playing 30 minutes last nite, each one more horrific than the next. Even if KO didn't want to go to AB, who had 11 points in 21 minutes, I would have preferred Durham or even one of the managers out there. But it was a great win, so let's not ask too many questions.

Reaction Score
He's a "great passer" - really? Like those two lazy highschool cross court passes that immediately turned into 4 points by Memphis? He got his rebounds and he didn't stick his thumb in his eye and that's the best you can say for VJ last nite. I'm sure he'll bounce back, he's got plenty of good basketball in him, but last nite he was awful.

Reaction Score

He is not shooting well, but doing all the other things. He is playing well. If he can get hot I like our chances in the tournament.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I agree. In fact, I haven't seen the box score but it seemed that Action Jackson didn't take a shot.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
He's a "great passer" - really? Like those two lazy highschool cross court passes that immediately turned into 4 points by Memphis? He got his rebounds and he didn't stick his thumb in his eye and that's the best you can say for VJ last nite. I'm sure he'll bounce back, he's got plenty of good basketball in him, but last nite he was awful.
Jackson is a very good passer. Even the best passers occasionally toss one into the crowd. He's a good shooter too. And he can rebound.

He does need to work on his d, agree with you there.

You can tell he's been well schooled in the fundamentals, though. That's a breath of fresh air compared to the many raw and inexperienced players we've had to settle for recently. I really like him as a player and can't wait to see him blossom in the next few years.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Tubby helped us out a little by going into clock-kill mode way too early. Memphis is not good enough offensively to start their offense with 10 seconds on the clock. I thought the offense was very good down the stretch. We attacked when we had the opportunity, but were patient when we needed to be. UConn scored on 6 of the last 7 possessions.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Vance had two really nice passes last night that lead to buckets. The kid has nice vision. He had a rough night, but that's going to happen because he's a freshman.

Reaction Score
Since this thread has seemingly turned into a review of VJ's game I'd like to add that in the off season he sorely needs to work on his vertical and ability to quickly get off the ground. He routinely gets out jumped for rebounds despite his height and doesn't seem to be able to use elevation to his advantage on the offensive side either. As evidenced by that tie up on his drive later in the game. I think he's gonna be a really, really solid player and scorer for us in the years to come. Honestly could see his game resembling Rip's some day. Just running endlessly off screens until he gets enough daylight to get his shot off.

Reaction Score
The D was at a level on intensity I haven't seen in a long time. Hard to sustain with a depleted bench but it is the on switch for offense. You apply that intensity to Cinci with every shot and possession contested; it's a different game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom