Just How Close Was It For MWalker | The Boneyard

Just How Close Was It For MWalker

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Sounds like she has a great attitude, and one thing former players almost always talk about when they speak of Geno and CD is that they aren't just great coaches, etc... but that they are great mentors in helping prepare them to be great women when they graduate and move on. I think it's clear to anyone who speaks with any former player - no matter how long ago they graduated.

Reaction Score
Let's give an "assist" to a few UCONN players as well.....

From another article....

The decision didn't come easily. Walker said a lot of factors led her to Storrs -- the campus (she has already visited a handful of times), the players (she's especially excited to play alongside Kia Nurse and Gabby Williams), the coaches and the pipeline to success after college. Walker, who plans to major in either business or criminology, said she's excited to play for Geno Auriemma.

Reaction Score
I'll never catch up with whether this has been posted before:

Says decision made between Texas and UConn just 2 days before announcement.

The Megan Walker blog: Here's why I chose Connecticut...

Haven't you ever had to make a tough life decision in your life/career that it even comes to the very last minutes. I know I have, even flipping a coin to choose because either decision would have been a good decision, in this case for MW.

Reaction Score
I've felt all along that this whole thing was like a reviewable play in a NFL game. The original call for well over year was UConn. To verify that call she and her parents took a good hard look at Texas and ND to see if there was anything worth overturning that call. They knew exactly what she would get for coaching, and with hard work, what she could reap for a reward from a UConn career. In the end they found nothing compelling enough to overturn the call. For highly recruited athletes it's a once in a lifetime chance to be treated like a queen/king for a year or so and for a teenager I thought with guidance from her parents she handled it very well.

Reaction Score
Megan is a UConn girl, humble, honest, good attitude and good personality.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Haven't you ever had to make a tough life decision in your life/career that it even comes to the very last minutes

Gotta ask, what made you think I was being critical in that post? I do think her wrestling with the decision sort of wore her out and accounted for a sort of flat affect in her interviews. Kid was worn out.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I've felt all along that this whole thing was like a reviewable play in a NFL game. The original call for well over year was UConn. To verify that call she and her parents took a good hard look at Texas and ND to see if there was anything worth overturning that call. They knew exactly what she would get for coaching, and with hard work, what she could reap for a reward from a UConn career. In the end they found nothing compelling enough to overturn the call. For highly recruited athletes it's a once in a lifetime chance to be treated like a queen/king for a year or so and for a teenager I thought with guidance from her parents she handled it very well.

As long as it was her decision in the end and I think it was. Every time there is the potential for Dad to be too influential my mind goes back to Brittany Hunter.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Megan was reportedly a UConn lean early on. Some folks though she was a ND lean over the past several months. She was very tempted by ND and Texas. I think she will be happy with her decision. Professors Auriemma and Dailey set up their players to succeed in basketball and life. Megan will work harder than she ever imagined--and at times harder than she wants--fit the finished product will be a great basketball player and person.

Meg says she is excited to play with Kia and Gabby. She should be able to identify with Lou, who was the MKW of 2015. Crystal will get Meg the ball in good spots, and Lexi is a friend already. Meg seems to have bonded with Mikayla and Andi as well. She will have a good support system--and the best fans in WCBB.

Reaction Score
This statement flies in the face of all the criticisms (mine included!) of her earlier statements about her brand. If we can take it literally (and I grant that a 17 year old student under intensive medial pressure isn't always parsing her words accurately), it shows that at least some recruits think that Geno's not just the greatest WCBB coach of all time, but a great teacher of character and other life long lessons:
The final say was, ‘what school will put me in the best position for life after basketball?’

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Meg will need to adapt to Geno and CD. They may need to give her a little latitude as well.

Fanmomma

UCONN WBB ALL DAY
Reaction Score
In the article I read said that she wanted to go to Uconn since she was a freshman, but she went through the process to be sure that that was her choice.

Although it was agonizing all the way around, I'm sure she feels better that she did.

For some location is a dealbreaker, for some other things are more important.

I hope she has a great senior year, and that she gets another championship.

Can't wait to see her play at Uconn.

Reaction Score
I'll never catch up with whether this has been posted before:

Says decision made between Texas and UConn just 2 days before announcement.

The Megan Walker blog: Here's why I chose Connecticut...
I guess I must be getting really old quicker than I thought. UConn just got a commitment from the number one ranked player in the country. I thought we would just be rejoicing in that fact, instead of parsing the decision down to how many hours before announcing did she actually decide. Who cares and why?If she had chosen another school then I would have expected some questions about why she went to either A or B. But it didn't, she is on her way. We send her wishes for a very successful senior year in both academics and hoops and look forward to her arrival in some seven months or so

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That ain't happening!
I'm not saying a different set of rules for Megan, but Geno and CD recognize that the world is changing. Many of the kids are different--see Stef's purple hair, for example.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I guess I must be getting really old quicker than I thought. UConn just got a commitment from the number one ranked player in the country. I thought we would just be rejoicing in that fact, instead of parsing the decision down to how many hours before announcing did she actually decide. Who cares and why?If she had chosen another school then I would have expected some questions about why she went to either A or B. But it didn't, she is on her way. We send her wishes for a very successful senior year in both academics and hoops and look forward to her arrival in some seven months or so

bill, she was the one parsing it down. It's her blog. She's talking about her decision. Did you read the piece.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm not saying a different set of rules for Megan, but Geno and CD recognize that the world is changing. Many of the kids are different--see Stef's purple hair, for example.
Yeah, but the purple hair came after Uconn, not under Geno and CD's watchful eye!
Do I think there have been changes over the years - sure, but it is still a pretty strict regime.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Yeah, but the purple hair came after Uconn, not under Geno and CD's watchful eye!
Do I think there have been changes over the years - sure, but it is still a pretty strict regime.

. . . or a strict regimen? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
In the article I read said that she wanted to go to Uconn since she was a freshman, but she went through the process to be sure that that was her choice.

Although it was agonizing all the way around, I'm sure she feels better that she did.

For some location is a dealbreaker, for some other things are more important.

I hope she has a great senior year, and that she gets another championship.

Can't wait to see her play at Uconn.
yep--I read the same story --after I read this one --i was a bit confused about it. The story was in the Richmond times (I think) Saying how long she wanted to play at Uconn.
Megan will have a great senior year--she is the toast of her HS--homecoming queen --so the rest of the year should be her best ever.
She has 9 months or so to have fun at home--then she begin the work of being a Husky..

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She has 9 months or so to have fun at home

Well, Geno did say he's interested in whether like Maya she'll arrive in the shape to play and hit the ground running:
"[C]an she come in here as a freshman and from day one physically be ready and compete like Maya did? That we won't know until she gets here." Suggests she may want to think of some home work.

Come to think of it, maybe she'll be playing USAB this coming summer.

Reaction Score
Well, Geno did say he's interested in whether like Maya she'll arrive in the shape to play and hit the ground running:
"[C]an she come in here as a freshman and from day one physically be ready and compete like Maya did? That we won't know until she gets here." Suggests she may want to think of some home work.

Come to think of it, maybe she'll be playing USAB this coming summer.

Getting, staying, or working on shape are not necessarily un-fun. Personally --I truly enjoy watching people getting in shape. I think what Geno was suggesting is; she may be another Maya. If that wasn't it why mention any player in a sentence about being in shape???

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Getting, staying, or working on shape are not necessarily un-fun. Personally --I truly enjoy watching people getting in shape. I think what Geno was suggesting is; she may be another Maya. If that wasn't it why mention any player in a sentence about being in shape???

He clearly sees the potential. I agree with it all, too. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom