Just heard - Tina headed to New York!!! | The Boneyard

Just heard - Tina headed to New York!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Hmmmmm.

Maybe Tina wanted out but I don't see trading Tina!

Then again, it's Donovan so who knows??

Reaction Score
If Tina requested out, the trade isn't a terrible solution. Personally I would rather keep Tina , but unhappy players are not going to benefit any team.
I am confused though...who actually picked A.Thomas...Donovan or NY?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If Tina requested out, the trade isn't a terrible solution. Personally I would rather keep Tina , but unhappy players are not going to benefit any team.
You are not allowed to trade the lottery picks (or any pick?) during the draft, but you can trade the rights to the player once she is selected - so Ann told Bill who she wanted, he picked, and then they could make the trade official.

Reaction Score
Apparently Tina told them she would not come back to the Sun, so they worked the trade. She didn't want to play for Donovan.

I think the fact that players under contract can dictate so much hurts the league credibility. This is the only professional league that players under contract can hold their team hostage and threaten not to play. This is mainly because they make more money overseas. It is too bad the Sun had to do this. Now there worst position is the center position whereas last year it was their best position.

Reaction Score
I think the fact that players under contract can dictate so much hurts the league credibility. This is the only professional league that players under contract can hold their team hostage and threaten not to play. This is mainly because they make more money overseas. It is too bad the Sun had to do this. Now there worst position is the center position whereas last year it was their best position.
NBA players have just as much leverage, even if they approach things differently. NFL players also hold out frequently, although they certainly have less leverage because their contracts aren't entirely guaranteed.

Unfortunately, this is just the nature of pro sports these days.

Reaction Score
NBA players have just as much leverage, even if they approach things differently. NFL players also hold out frequently, although they certainly have less leverage because their contracts aren't entirely guaranteed.

Unfortunately, this is just the nature of pro sports these days.
Nfl and nba players under contract have nowhere else to go if they sit out. The WNBA players have their more fruitful foreign income to fall back on.

Reaction Score
Nfl and nba players under contract have nowhere else to go if they sit out. The WNBA players have their more fruitful foreign income to fall back on.
NBA teams will accommodate star players when they want out. The players have all the leverage in that league.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
And that is the situation the league is in of their own accord. The Sun made a terrible hire as coach and they are suffering for it.

Reaction Score
I think the Sun's management doesn't understand that a fair portion of Sun fans are there to watch the legends of UConn play. Aren't the most popular games the ones with the most UConn players participating? Winning is important but treat professional sport as what it is, entertainment.

Sun - 25-9
Mystics - 5-29

Sun - 10-24
Mystics - 17-17

Gee. I wonder what changed?

As a follow on note. Disparaging words about Tina is not going to endear you to your team's fanbase Anne. Tread lightly with those insinuations. UConn fans have long memories.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

So you never heard the story how Magic Johnson got his coach fired? The main difference is that the Lakers realized that a great player is more important than a dime-a-dozen coach.

Reaction Score
I think the Sun's management doesn't understand that a fair portion of Sun fans are there to watch the legends of UConn play. Aren't the most popular games the ones with the most UConn players participating? Winning is important but treat professional sport as what it is, entertainment.

Sun - 25-9
Mystics - 5-29

Sun - 10-24
Mystics - 17-17

As a follow on note. Disparaging words about Tina is not going to endear you to your team's fanbase Anne. Tread lightly with those insinuations. UConn fans have long memories.

Sun - 25-9
Mystics - 5-29

Sun - 10-24
Mystics - 17-17

Reaction Score
I think Tina and Kara disparaged themselves to us season ticket holders by quitting on the team and the fans last year. They were more interested in whining and sulking on the bench than helping their team and acting like professionals.

Reaction Score
I think Tina and Kara disparaged themselves to us season ticket holders by quitting on the team and the fans last year. They were more interested in whining and sulking on the bench than helping their team and acting like professionals.

I saw nothing from them that could be further than the truth. Both Kara and Tina are professionals and played that way last season. Donovan on the other hand was frequently out-coached and many of those losses should have been wins.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Apparently Tina told them she would not come back to the Sun, so they worked the trade. She didn't want to play for Donovan.

1) I believe, or at least I heard, Charles was out of contract. 2) in lot's of professional leagues,players hold out for new contracts or to be traded or sold.

Reaction Score
1) I believe, or at least I heard, Charles was out of contract. 2) in lot's of professional leagues,players hold out for new contracts or to be traded or sold.
She was under contract this year. In the WNBA players like Tina are getting max salary allowed.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
To be fair to Donovan - the Sun were devastated by injuries last year and it is never an easy transition from a popular players coach, but ...

And while I think Mike is a really good talent evaluator and a really good coach, I do not think he is a great game coach. The Sun under him did seem to lose a few too many games where they had a good lead and a few too many of the 1-3 point games in the last minute.

I don't blame Tina for wanting out, and I don't blame the Sun management for making it clear they had no choice but to work out a trade.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
She was under contract this year. In the WNBA players like Tina are getting max salary allowed.
Not what I read. I read she was an unrestricted Free Agent. It was my understanding the Sun had the first option to resign her, but she had not signed yet. I certainly don't know all the ins and outs of the WNBA contracts, but that is what I had read.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not what I read. I read she was an unrestricted Free Agent. It was my understanding the Sun had the first option to resign her, but she had not signed yet. I certainly don't know all the ins and outs of the WNBA contracts, but that is what I had read.
She was a 'restricted' free agent - Sun could match any contract she signed and with a maximum imposed in the W that meant if she signed any contract she would be playing in CT as the Sun would have matched.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
She was a 'restricted' free agent - Sun could match any contract she signed and with a maximum imposed in the W that meant if she signed any contract she would be playing in CT as the Sun would have matched.
Ah, "restricted". Ok. Must have misread. (or somebody miswrote??) But she didn't want to sign a contract with the Sun. Ok, that makes sense.

Overall, I don't think the Sun came out too badly in this. (from a player standpoint). Considering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom