Just heard on WFAN | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Just heard on WFAN

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Every paying customer matters, but the tenspro's of the world are already factored into the calculus when a decision like this needs to be made. When a product declines the expectation is always that less people will pay for it. In this case, that number might not be enough to offset the buyout, so they'll lean on the die-hard's in the meantime and trust that the others will return when the product is up to their standards.

I think the tug-of-war that is going on right now within the fan base is very much undecided, though. If people from this site are genuine about not supporting the program going forward with Ollie in charge, then there is a chance that the AD may act desperately, especially if that sentiment is popular enough to urge donor's to act.

In short, I don't blame those who are dissatisfied for making their voices heard. I'm just not one of them, and I think this board - comprised almost entirely of people who care a lot about UConn basketball - causes the overall numbers to be skewed. Most people are like me. They're unhappy with the current situation, but they're mellow enough after everything the program has accomplished to tolerate mediocrity for the foreseeable future. Honest to God, 2014 was enough for me. I haven't gotten mad watching a college basketball game one time since then and I'm not sure I will again. Kevin Ollie can have a lifetime contract for all I care and go .500 in the AAC every year and I'll be content. If that makes me culpable in the destruction of the program then so be it, but I'll also caution that things could be a lot worse than they are now.

Every fan is not me and so Ollie will be dismissed within a year or two if things don't turn around and the world will go on. I just don't get the sense that the mob is as fierce as this board portrays it to be.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
That kind of attitude , is the polar opposite of what Jim Calhoun built..And Certainly lends UConn to being St John's , not a 4 time national championship...Me for one would never except mediocrity, then you become just that... I'm pretty sure AD David Benedict won't either..

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
he has destroyed the brand so badly that yes, UConn is in no way a destination job.
I can't agree with this. Recent performance does not make or break a job for a prospective coach. We've got tremendous recent history with Nat'l Titles, brand new on campus practice facilities and an AD that appears to support his coaches (the anti-Hathaway). We're in a region that has been producing a number of quality players, from the prep schools like Brewster, PSA & St Thomas More to name a few to NYC recruits as well as CT's own players. The only negative is recent results and to a lesser degree the conference.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Thats a separate problem. Without hesitation, Ollie needs to go. That being said, he has destroyed the brand so badly that yes, UConn is in no way a destination job. Our best bet is trying to sell our elite history. Ollie has clearly shown the floor of the program and this conference which is why guys like Hurley(who may have once coveted the job) will no longer consider it. We will need to take a chance on a rising star or an unemployed big name. Either way, who ever it is will surely underwhelm the fan base and media. Still, that doesn't mean Ollie deserves to stay. This program has to start over.

I thought this until I remembered the money. Ollie is the tenth highest page coach in the country at $3.1M. You might be surprised at how many make under $2M. Dan Hurley at URI is under $1M. The guy at Xavier has been to the tournament something like 8 of the last ten years, and makes around $1.5.

The reality is that we do still have more cache than most programs out there, and if we can pay over $2M, we will be able to steal somebody. That is why I think avoiding the buyout is critical. If we can get Ollie to leave, then we can pay $2.5M, get a very accomplished coach, and save money. If we have to buy him out, we're looking at paying in the low $1M range I expect.

Reaction Score
I don't get it. KO just had his contract extended through 2021. I don't think UConn fires him anytime soon.

In the "what if" category, what is the possibility of JC pulling a Jay Leno and coming back?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
That kind of attitude , is the polar opposite of what Jim Calhoun built..And Certainly lends UConn to being St John's , not a 4 time national championship...Me for one would never except mediocrity, then you become just that... I'm pretty sure AD David Benedict won't either..

Fans’ expectations have no bearing on what the team becomes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom