Just Got Back From Storrs Practice 1 Of 2 | The Boneyard

Just Got Back From Storrs Practice 1 Of 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
As I mentioned earlier in the week, if you participate in Calhoun's Summer Walk, you get an invite to this Unique behind the scenes look at the team. I attended last year, and this one had Special moments as well. A BIG Thanks, to my friend for the opportunity. By no means, am I a Scout, but I tried to make a mental list of observations to share with my Cyber friends. As the day goes on, I may think of more details I can add.

Blaney took the fans through some of the Key points the team concentrates on. Practice was about 90 minutes plus a warmup time. George Welcomed Karl Hobbs back to the staff and also Kevin Freeman as a new staff addition. Bradley and Niels (banged up) were not in attendance. Coach Blaney called out a few team #, and said a few words about each New player. He made a point of saying Boatright out of Chicago, #11- once scored 63 pts in about 35 min. Which he commented was not too common. (no mention of Denham's record)

The team practiced, 3 on 3, vs half court man, zone, full court weave & fast breaking, their shell Defense- which Blaney said won vs Butler, just like vs AIC. Plus free throw competitions. Like a golf swing, a good deal of what they do for sets, places on the floor is all about muscle memory and forming good habits. At one point Roscoe called for the ball, Drummond flipped it to him and JC halted the play saying that would have been a backcourt Violation. "we're not going to have that, so let's Not practice it that way".

Drummond- looked comfortable with the Mask. Lot's of dunks today. He dunks about as hard as I've ever seen on the college level. He has "Bad Intentions" when throwing one down. If a guard latches onto his forearm, don't be surprised if he stuffs that midget thru the hoop also, just for kicks. Seems to go up fluid unlike Hash, who needed a dribble to collect himself. In my opinion, he needs to practice Free Throws by the Thousands, because he will be at the line often and that looks like an adventure.

DeAndre Daniels- what a Steal/Late! I'm not sure how the Coombs departure, Drummond delay worked out but this kid just looks like a Wirey, Strong, Coordinated Baller. Hit a few threes, which was not a focus at all today. Seemed to have a good handle, but the length from the wing or on the break was 3 dribbles and he was at the bucket. He kinda Glides, might be the word I'm searching for. No monocles today. Jeremy, long arms. Also looked good with his back to the basket getting an entry pass, and quick layup. Not a Bangers body.

Boatright- short, he reminds me of some of the 9th graders that live in my neighborhood. But those kids couldn't dunk a donut. This guy has Springs! Handel looked good, alittle out of control on decisions. He's got Moxy, although a bit vocal after his own misses. Made about 13 FT in a row, nice form at the Charity Stripe.

393234_302616523099805_100000543782325_1258102_1330102847_n.jpg

Reaction Score
As I mentioned earlier in the week, if you participate in Calhoun's Summer Walk, you get an invite to this Unique behind the scenes look at the team. I attended last year, and this one had Special moments as well. A BIG Thanks, to my friend for the opportunity. By no means, am I a Scout, but I tried to make a mental list of observations to share with my Cyber friends. As the day goes on, I may think of more details I can add.

Blaney took the fans through some of the Key points the team concentrates on. Practice was about 90 minutes plus a warmup time. George Welcomed Karl Hobbs back to the staff and also Kevin Freeman as a new staff addition. Bradley and Niels (banged up) were not in attendance. Coach Blaney called out a few team #, and said a few words about each New player. He made a point of saying Boatright out of Chicago, #11- once scored 63 pts in about 35 min. Which he commented was not too common. (no mention of Denham's record)

The team practiced, 3 on 3, vs half court man, zone, full court weave & fast breaking, their shell Defense- which Blaney said won vs Butler, just like vs AIC. Plus free throw competitions. Like a golf swing, a good deal of what they do for sets, places on the floor is all about muscle memory and forming good habits. At one point Roscoe called for the ball, Drummond flipped it to him and JC halted the play saying that would have been a backcourt Violation. "we're not going to have that, so let's Not practice it that way".

Drummond- looked comfortable with the Mask. Lot's of dunks today. He dunks about as hard as I've ever seen on the college level. He has "Bad Intentions" when throwing one down. If a guard latches onto his forearm, don't be surprised if he stuffs that midget thru the hoop also, just for kicks. Seems to go up fluid unlike Hash, who needed a dribble to collect himself. In my opinion, he needs to practice Free Throws by the Thousands, because he will be at the line often and that looks like an adventure.

DeAndre Daniels- what a Steal/Late! I'm not sure how the Coombs departure, Drummond delay worked out but this kid just looks like a Wirey, Strong, Coordinated Baller. Hit a few threes, which was not a focus at all today. Seemed to have a good handle, but the length from the wing or on the break was 3 dribbles and he was at the bucket. He kinda Glides, might be the word I'm searching for. No monocles today. Jeremy, long arms. Also looked good with his back to the basket getting an entry pass, and quick layup. Not a Bangers body.

Boatright- short, he reminds me of some of the 9th graders that live in my neighborhood. But those kids couldn't dunk a donut. This guy has Springs! Handel looked good, alittle out of control on decisions. He's got Moxy, although a bit vocal after his own misses. Made about 13 FT in a row, nice form at the Charity Stripe.

393234_302616523099805_100000543782325_1258102_1330102847_n.jpg

Thanks for the update. I like that when he gets the ball inside Drummond is only thinking of dunking it. Sometimes it seems Alex has tried to lay some in (and subsequently missed) from point blank range that I would have rather he just tried to flush for better or worse. I think the team will benefit greatly if Daniels can provide another threat from the arc.

Reaction Score
Thank you for the update.
Am very glad to hear AD is attacking the rim.

Reaction Score
Write up much appreciated. Has anybody seen Drummond's back to the basket game, or is it basically all dunks at this point?

Reaction Score
I watched the game vs. AIC again and the only free throw they showed througout the whole game was Drummonds. Very weird.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Thanks for the write up. Much appreciated.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Nice writeup ... love stuff like this.

I like how you said Deandre reminded you of a long Jeremy because when I watched him against AIC I felt the same way ... his game reminds me of Jeremy's early last year except he's taller!!!

Reaction Score
DD is a steal. Jerry from rival told me that he could easily be freshman of the year in the BE before we landed drummond

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Nice writeup ... love stuff like this.

I like how you said Deandre reminded you of a long Jeremy because when I watched him against AIC I felt the same way ... his game reminds me of Jeremy's early last year except he's taller!!!
It was only one game, but DD also seemed more court aware than JL at this time last season. I'll be curious to see if this continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom